VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I've got a video which I have recorded using the Cycorder App for the iPhone. The video needs to be rotated 90 degrees.

Using Avidemux 2.4.4 on Linux, I did this. But now the sound isn't in sync anymore.

How can I make sure, that it DOES stay in sync?

I also tried using mencoder, but that didn't work - the generated video wasn't viewable.

Code:
    mencoder -vf rotate=1 'Cédric spielt und wälzt sich im Garten - 2.mov' -ovc lavc -oac copy -o 'Cédric spielt und wälzt sich im Garten - 2.mov'.mencoder.lavc.avi
    A lot of messages like this:

Code:
    Skipping frame!
    Pos:   0.1s    852f (99%) 163.16fps Trem:   0min   7mb  A-V:0.000 [0:0]
    The files are online available at drop.io/VideoRotation. To see/hear the out-of-sync effect of the sound, pay attention to the femaile voice at about second 13.

Original, unedited -> http://drop.io/VideoRotation/asset/c-dric-spielt-und-w-lzt-sich-im-garten-2-mov
    avidemux rotated version -> http://drop.io/VideoRotation/asset/c-dric-spielt-und-w-lzt-sich-im-garten-2-mov-avi
    mencoder -> http://drop.io/VideoRotation/asset/c-dric-spielt-und-w-lzt-sich-im-garten-2-mov-mencoder-lavc-avi

I also tried using the Windows tool "Free Video Flip And Rotate" from dvdvideosoft.com - but the generated AVI file also wasn't viewable; I suppose that's so, because it uses mencoder in the background, doesn't it?

It would be great if someone could help me!

Thanks a lot,
    Alexander
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can losslessly rotate .mov with QTPro (unfortunately not free)

All other apps will usually re-encode (takes longer time, and lose quality)

If you don't mind re-encoding , try the newer avidemux 2.5.5

It's also possible you have errors in your video causing the desync
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi.

I do not mind re-encoding (stuff's gonna end up on YouTube anyway... - oh, does anyone know of an online service which would help me out here?).

Do you have avidemux 2.5.0? ArchLinux still only has 2.4.4 And 2.5.0 on Windows isn't able to open the mov file from http://drop.io/VideoRotation/asset/c-dric-spielt-und-w-lzt-sich-im-garten-2-mov :/ It simply crashes - does it crash for you as well (it crashes right after loading the file)?

Or do you have QTpro? If so, could you check if QTpro is able to rotate the video without causing the sound to become out-of-sync? I don't want to pay for software which doesn't do what I want (I mean, which in a real world usage doesn't do - I understand that it should be able to fulfill the requirements - in theory )

How would I be able to detect if there are errors in the source file and how would I then fix those errors?

Thanks,
    Alexander
    Quote Quote  
  4. QTPro can rotate it, and re-save it losslessly, but curiously it only works in QTPro or MPC when playing (other media players will revert the changes e.g. vlc, kmplayer, so I doubt youtube will accept the rotation when it re-encodes)

Avidemux 2.5 does crash, i think it's the sowt audio that is causing it. Avidemux 2.4.4 QT on windows doesn't crash on opening, but screws up the audio

Your fps is non-standard; that maybe why you are having sync issues.

You can do it with avisynth and any encoder; I used megui for this example (I renamed the movie to 1.mov), but you could use any encoder or GUI that accepts avisynth scrips. The problem is I think you need QTPro 7 or greater for it to work for audio, according to the documentation. It might work with QT Alternative (free), you can try

QTInput("1.mov",audio=true)
    TurnRight()
    ConvertToYV12()

Here is the re-encoded file
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SYTCTN9P

I don't know if avisynth will work on linux / wine , but avidemux has an avs proxy gui (but it doesn't feed through audio)

If this is for youtube, you will have difficulties, because when you flip 90 degrees , it will be too high for the set window size. There is also a high probability Youtube will screwup the A/V sync because of the non standard fps

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the exact same issue: I video using cycorder and often end up recording sideways.

I have a mac, so avisynth isn't available. I'll check out avidemux - thanks for the advice!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    You can do it with avisynth and any encoder; I used megui for this example (I renamed the movie to 1.mov), but you could use any encoder or GUI that accepts avisynth scrips. The problem is I think you need QTPro 7 or greater for it to work for audio, according to the documentation.
    It doesn't have to be QTPro 7, the free QT7 should work. What won't work is QT6.
    Quote Quote