VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a new Wellcom 819 cellphone with MP4 capability. It had some MP4 files from Wellcom on it, and they play okay both on the phone and my computer with any of my video players.

I have some avi files converted with winFF (also tried VLC) to MP4, trying both the default MP4 settings and adjusting size (176X144) and frame rate (25) to the same as those on the MP4 files that do play. All those conversions play ok on my computers. However, when I try to play them on the cellphone, the audio comes through, but the video is like a visualizer pattern, instead of the actual video images.

Any thoughts/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Peter
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using same video codec and similar bitrate?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Are you using same video codec and similar bitrate?
    I've tried the same codec (MP4v) with VLC, but the VLC conversions don't even play at all. They error with "invalid format".

If there is a choice of codecs with WinFF I can't find it, and I don't have any software that will identify the bitrate of the other files - the ones from Wellcom.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may want to try Format Factory (freeware) for easy conversion of video files to Cell Phone.
    Check the presets section: chances are your phone is mentioned. If not, you can select a similar phone preset or select "All to MP4" free conversion with proper resolution and bitrate. Pay attention to the video codec. This should not be Xvid or H264.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I'll give it a try and post how it goes.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Format Factory is pretty amazing - especially for freeware. Thanks for the tip. I have made some progress. The output is viewable - I think part of the problem was my input files were originally avi converted to MP4. Now I have tried 2 of original avi files and they are viewable after conversion.

One problem is they are kind of 'blotchy' with small rectangles appearing now and then similar to a CD/DVD going bad. Do you know what specific parameters I should work on for that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try to increase the video bitrate.
    Alternatively, you can try to convert the video to 3GP format. It is less demanding than MP4, and most of the cell phones that are able to play MP4, will play also 3GP files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great advice, Usta - both work. You have made my daughter very happy.
    Quote Quote