VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

Am new to this form and my hi to all people out there.

I have a question regarding HD file format. I have a ScreenPlay HD media player and in the I have a MKV file which is almost 5 GB and is 1080*1920. I would like to watch this in my sony bravia HD TV but the TV is not supporting the file format. Now I would like to know, which file format my TV will support? If there any convertor for the same purpose? Thank you very much for the answers in advance!

Shrirama
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found this:

http://www.iomega.com/support/manuals/hdd2009/scrnplyprohd/en/main.html

That is the on-line manual for the ScreenPlay Pro HD Multimedia Drive. Unfortunately they seem very elusive on information. Here are some interesting things I did find:

1.) It appears to only support 1080i output (no 1080p in other words). 720p output is supported as well as 480i/480p
    2.) I find the follow comment very "telling": "MKV files encoded with MPEG-4 codecs are supported natively. MKV files encoded with H264 codecs are supported using Transcode Server Software"

That second point seems to indicate that H.264 is not truly supported. Bummer.

Also I could find no information on what resolutions are supported ... sure it tells you want it can output ... but although it covers the file "formats" it can handle it doesn't give any actual resolution numbers. Weird.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot John for quick reply.

Sorry to tell that am not aware of the differences between 1080i and 1080p format .. How does that make any difference? whats does Transcode Server Software means?

Thanks again!
    Shrirama
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most Sony Bravia HDTV sets play no video files* whatsoever. If you have one that does, it would be spelled out in the manual. It would play from a USB flash drive.

* some display jpg stills or play mp3 audio files from USB.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote