VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there,

I am finally taking the plunge into using dual layer discs more often. I've had dual layer burners in both computers for a long time now. I just haven't really had a need to burn more than 4.7gb on a disc and I was happy with single layer dvd backups.

However High Def has changed everything. It will be awhile before I get a bluray burner so dual layer for avchd is the way to go for now.

I generally don't like ordering online as for the shipping costs and stuff.

It seems like for Bestbuy my main choices for DL is Memorex or Verbatim. I am currently using up the last of my Memorex DL discs. They seem to be just fine. They are +R fyi.

I have no loyalty for media so I'm open to suggestions. I could even consider ordering online if shipping is reasonable (or free if I wind up ordering a lot).

THanks for suggestions.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    www.nomorecoasters.com

Verbatim is the only worthwhile choice, the Ritek/Memorex discs are very unreliable in quality. Verbatim rarely makes coasters, Ritek often makes coasters.

That "lower price" on Memorex goes away when you have to waste so many.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Okay....

Ya know i like ya so don't take this personally....

ARE YOU NEW !?!?!?!

Did you just join ???

:P

How many 1000's of threads have there been on this subject ?

Originally Posted by yoda313
    It seems like for Bestbuy my main choices for DL is Memorex or Verbatim. I am currently using up the last of my Memorex DL discs. They seem to be just fine. They are +R fyi.
    First off, yeah i used to use cheaper brands of single layer dvdr's once in awhile years ago, they burned fine, played fine, but then a year or two later when trying to watch or rip them..... CRAP!!!!!!

Second, don't you have any officemax stores near you ??
    They just had Verbatim DL on sale for 24.99 a 20 pack.

And i just ordered some more from newegg last week, 25.99 + FREE shipping, took all of two days to arrive, ordered them wednesday and they were on my doorstep friday afternoon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't burn D/L too often so with this is a small sample it will have to be considered anecdotal.

A couple of years ago (or more) I bought a few boxes of individually cased 3 pack Memorex 2.4x DVD+R D/L and they all burned well (I have one disc left). I also bought two 10 pack cake boxes of the same media and lost 4 in the first pack and 3 in the second pack. Same burner same setup. I don't know why the individually cased ones burned 100% since the Memorex code for all the discs is Ritek D01.

Later I bought a 20 unit cake box of Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R D/L. The media code is MKM 001. I've burned about 10 so far with no failures.
    Interesting that although they are shown as 2.4x the small print says up to 6x but with a * beside it.

On my LG4163b the write descriptor shows:
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps

My LG burner only exposes the 2.4x write speed but that's ok.

Recently, I've double checked most of the Memorex D/L discs that burned ok and they still read fine although I didn't play them all the way through.

Still, based on my early cake box failures, I'm sticking with Verbatim.

btw) When it comes to SL media. Like most I too tried all kinds of -R and +R cheaper garbage. I still have some of those left in a cabinet because I lost a high proportion +10% during burns and have discovered a few bad but so called successful burns here and there as I check some old archived stuff. I switched to Verbatim SL and wouldn't go back. None of the archived material gives me trouble and all my recent burns on my LG4163b and a Lite-on iHAS120 burn at 100% (not on the computer listed in my specs here).
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex/Ritek DL

Verbatim/Singapore +DL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well looks like a bunch of votes for verbatim. I'm sold.

@noahtuck - hey you know you don't look for something until you need it you know????
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Verbatim has my vote.
    Quote Quote  
  8. This question was meant as a Joke...? perhaps

Verbatium is the only somewhat reliable DL burnable DVD widely available and use only the DVD+R DL variety. I prefer the made in Taiwane discs. May be able to find them at your local Sams club or online.
    The OldeMan
    Quote Quote