VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using my DVD recorder on maximum quality settings to completely replicate the original quality of my VHS tapes. When I use staxrip and xvid after, the quality is very close to the MPEG 2, but the color seems to be slightly faded and the detail is slightly missing. With all the filters etc, the computer can easily compensate with post processing, but I am using a tvix M-4000 media player and it plays it as it is.

Quote Quote  
  2. Resizing, noise filtering, deblocking, and deinterlacing will all cause loss of detail. Faded colors may be a sign of colorspace conversion problems. I don't know staxrip though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This may sound mean, but saying "VHS rip" makes a person sound stupid. You cannot "rip" an analog format.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. By the way, how did you decide the colors were faded? If you were using two media players playing the two files side by side you might expect to see different colors. One player was likely using the graphics card's video overlay feature, the other not (only one player at a time can use video overlay). Video overlay and the desktop have different proc amp controls for brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. If this is the case even watching the same file in two players at once will show different colors.
    Quote Quote