VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Transferring VHS and Beta to DVD using my Sony DVD recorder. I've found the quality so far very good. I've just acquired a Sony Digital8 camcorder that allows analog-DV passthrough. If I use it in the middle, will that provide video quality benefits to me over just connecting my tape players to the DVD recorder directly using S-Video / RCA?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by scotty123
    Transferring VHS and Beta to DVD using my Sony DVD recorder. I've found the quality so far very good. I've just acquired a Sony Digital8 camcorder that allows analog-DV passthrough. If I use it in the middle, will that provide video quality benefits to me over just connecting my tape players to the DVD recorder directly using S-Video / RCA?
    DV camcorders with pass-through may provide some timebase correction (horizontal line jitter reduction). Results vary so try it both ways and judge for yourself.

Some DV camcorders also have the +7.5 IRE black level error (aka washout error*) with pass-through. Some DVD recorders have a record black level control to correct this.

* 7.5 IRE black gets mapped to digital level 32 instead of correct digital 16.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your dvd recorder can handle the analog video fine, I wouldn't put something in between it because that's just another encoding place that can lose a generation of quality. Best to have the shortest and most direct connection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Knightmessenger
    If your dvd recorder can handle the analog video fine, I wouldn't put something in between it because that's just another encoding place that can lose a generation of quality. Best to have the shortest and most direct connection.
    A DV camcorder would output digital DV over IEEE-1394 so there is one A/D and encode either way. It would be easy to compare the camcorder vs. the DVD player A/D using the same test source.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't need to edit the video, just stick with direct tape-to-DVD recorder. It will save you time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    A DV camcorder would output digital DV over IEEE-1394 so there is one A/D and encode either way. It would be easy to compare the camcorder vs. the DVD player A/D using the same test source.
    True. But my guess would be that the converter chip in the recorder would do better than the one in the camera. In fact a friend did that using his miniDV camera once from my Hi8 and the resulting video on the miniDV tape had a lot of broken pixels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Knightmessenger
    Originally Posted by edDV
    True. But my guess would be that the converter chip in the recorder would do better than the one in the camera. In fact a friend did that using his miniDV camera once from my Hi8 and the resulting video on the miniDV tape had a lot of broken pixels.
    That would be unusual.
    Quote Quote