VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking for that elusive "perfect" capture of Pal vhs for NTSC conversion. So far the main problems have been the flare up of color, (especially the reds), and faces changing color as you watch them. I'm not sure what to call that but it seems to be common in NTSC vhs.

I've acquired an EliteVideo BVP4-plus and am going through the learning curve on using it. This is my setup:

I'm using a Samsung SV-5000W universal VCR. I set it to play pal format and output through composite video, (it doesn't offer s-video out.) I input this into a Datavideo TBC-1000 through the composite input. I use the S-video out from the TBC-1000 to S-video in on the BVP4-plus. S-video out from the BVP4-plus to S-video in on a Canopus ADVC-110.

Now I have read in other posts that you shouldn't mix composite and s-video. But I've tried every other configuration and the results I get from this setup is the best. For instance, I've tried:

5000W composite out directly to the BVP4 composite in. And then composite in to the advc-110. I would get a lot of electrical interference and also the capture would halt and continue sporadically.

5000W composite out directly to the BVP4 composite in. And then S-video into the advc. Crummy playback of that capture. It looked burned and very pixelated.

Putting the TBC between the vcr and the BPV4 stopped the halting in the capture, but there was still a good bit of electrical interference with composite video end to end.

So my current setup has eliminated all of that and once I fully process some of the capture the video looks realy good.
    But I have to capture a scene at a time because with every scene change the BVP4 settings have to be altered.

So, I have a chance to rent a dedicated PAL SVHS VCR with s-video out. I'm wondering what sort of difference this would make to the capture.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you have the SV5000 set to output PAL or NTSC? For best results you should have it putting out PAL when playing PAL tapes, NTSC when playing NTSC tapes. Do the standards conversion in software -- the SV5000 is pretty poor at it. It blows out highlights too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello jagobo. Yep, in fact I've been using the avisynth methods we've discussed in another thread for the conversion. Here I'm just concerned with the best capture for that process. So, yes, I'm outputting PAL from the VCR. So, far all the equipment I'm using works with PAL or NTSC video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It sounds like what your are doing is fine then. Composite from VCR to TBC, s-video for everything else.
    Quote Quote