VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I am trying to capture some HD video off my new Sony HDV Z5E camera... I have a trial version of Vegas Pro 9... I plugged it all in and started to capture... But when the files ended up on my computer they are .m2t files ??? I was expecting MPEG2 files

Am I doing something wrong ? Help please...
    Quote Quote  
  2. ,m2t are a type of mpeg file. set the vegas project properties to HDV pal 50i. the format is 1440x1080i, but with non-square pixels. in square pixel terms it is 1920x1080.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try a DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Minidv2dvd... thanks for the input... I guess I need to know what settings to set I couldnt see the non square pixels bit... however I see a option that is called "Pixel Format" the options in there are 8-bit 32-bit floating point (video levels) and 32-bit floating levels (full range) any suggestions which I should use ?

Also it has motion blue set to "Gaussian" is that right ? Other options are Pyramid, Box, Pyramid (asymmetric), Box (asymmetric) ??? I am such a newbie lol
    Quote Quote  
  5. before you import your files, go to file properties, click the drop down arrow next to template. select the HDV template that matches your source files. most likely "HDV 1080-50i (1440x1080, 25.000 fps)" you can leave the rest of the settings alone. put a check mark in start all new projects with these settings if you want to. click apply, then ok.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our camcorder section. This is not analog capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Admin for putting us in the right place And thanks Mini I dont that So I dont need to mess around with anything else phew
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alas no more comments since being moved lol...

Another quickie... as well as getting the m2t file... it also has a .sfk file, anyone tell me what this is as well ? If I am going to copy all of the content onto a hard drive for a client what do I need to include... can I put just the mpg, or should i include the m2t and sfk files as well ?

And just to clarify once I captured the video as m2t files, if I change the .m2t to mpg the video will work right ? So I dont need to render or publish or anything techie, I can simply change the extension...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pixelbucks
    it also has a .sfk file, anyone tell me what this is as well ?
    Soundeffects???

Really I don't have a clue on that one since I dont' own a high def camera.

HOWEVER:

Originally Posted by pixelbucks
    , if I change the .m2t to mpg the video will work right ?
    I would not do this. Especially if its not for your own project. Leave the original files intact. Include everything that was recorded on the camera.

Most prosumer editing suites that work with highdef video should be handle them as is without any coaxing.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ROTFLMAO

As you can see, most here don't even own cameras. However, it sure doesn't stop them from posting a guess. It may actually encourage them...
    Quote Quote  
  11. ahhhhhhhhhhh............. pixelbucks what is the destination format? dvd? blu-ray?

no don't change the extension. it's mts for a reason. it's a type of high def mpeg transport stream. not a plain ordinary mpeg.

skf is a file added by sony vegas to store info of the file.

why are you sending out the files? we can't know what needs to go if we don't have any info on what's going on.
    Quote Quote