VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all... i've seen conflicting info... Does PS3 play DivX HD? What other blu ray players could be considered a better cost comparison? Can DivX and Xvid files be upconverted during playback, or does that only apply to DVD's?

Quote Quote  
  2. LG BD390 seems to be the best so far (even has built in wireless connectivity).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher
    LG BD390 seems to be the best so far (even has built in wireless connectivity).
    Be careful, T.rex. I did a quick look and I cannot confirm that this player can play Divx, MKV or DivxHD. Divx playback is not too hard to find, but DivxHD support is rare and MKV support is even rarer. I'm not going to buy it, so I'm not going to spend 5+ minutes researching it. All I can tell you is that LGE's offical website doesn't mention support for any of those.
    Quote Quote  
  4. In jman98's defense, when MidnightWatcher mentioned the LG, I thought he meant it could play those formats when burned to disc. I didn't realize that they played only from a USB drive until I read the article. Maybe jman98 thought the same. But after reading the article, I must say I'm very impressed. If only it were a bit cheaper. Found any good deals on it, jagabo?

It must be in high demand as there don't seem to be any real good deals. Newegg has it for $50 off list at the moment:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882005043&Tpk=LG%20BD390

but I don't know how long that'll last. You have to place it in your cart and then check the cart.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm not in the market for a Blu-ray player so I don't keep track of prices. I just remembered reading about the LG player before. A quick google search turned up the cnet review. I won't be considering a Blu-ray player until the prices drop below US$100. Although I read that this player was priced under $100 this morning:

http://www.meijer.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=121255&N=0&navparm=0&keyword=curti...thes%20blu-ray

Sold out now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dude, you get what you pay for. I can certainly understand if you can't afford better at the moment, but I would never buy a $100 bluray player. You will end up buying 2 or 3 in the time that say an OPPO would last and the features and quality would suffer. I am a firm believer in waiting and saving for quality. I hate shelling out good money for something and being dissatisfied from the get-go with my purchase. I'd rather wait and get what I really want.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those are exactly the reasons I ended up with a PS3. Yes it does support HD DivX, although HD DivX still can't keep up with H264/AVC. As for DivX upconversion..... I can't tell. On my 47" LCD, at about 350mb per hour, it still looks less than DVD quality. Probably does upconvert, but because DivX is a form of compression that removes "redundant" data, there is probably just not enough information to really upconvert it well. The PS3 will play DivX and other media files off DVD, CD, USB connection or through streaming. There is nothing I don't like about the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player and Media Center. Unless you are an extreme media junkie, you won't regret the PS3 for a second. I do wish that they hadn't gone Bluetooth with the optional remote control, though. Now I need to cough up the cash for a Logitech Harmony One and the PS3 adapter to go with it. My other wish list would be USB ports that are more accessible.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ricoman
    I would never buy a $100 bluray player.
    So you don't think quality Blu-ray players will ever go below $100?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Not likely for a long time.
    The upcoming OPPO 83 will support most formats but it will cost $500USD.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Not likely for a long time.
    Riciman implied NEVER. Which is nonsense, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And that will be the downfall of Blu-ray. Like Betamax and Laser disc, toys for the rich and famous but nothing the average consumer could afford.

Whoever comes out with a sub $100 player and DVD priced discs that will do what Bluray does will be the winner. Until then, people like myself will never buy Bluray. Now if it could record and discs cost the same as VHS tapes did then I would be willing to pay $300 for one.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo
    I believe Ricoman wrote 'I would never buy a $100 bluray player', I wouldn't either.
    Quote Quote  
  13. In 5 years it will be hard find a Blu-ray player that costs more than $100.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I believe Ricoman wrote 'I would never buy a $100 bluray player', I wouldn't either.
    Correct. I never implied that it would never come down to $100, just that I would never buy one. I don't understand why some people are so eager to jump all over what someone says, especially when they misquote or take out of context. Maybe in a couple of years there might be a $100 player worth buying for a back-up player, but that will only be because there is a newer (presumably better) technology out or there is a break-through in the manufacturing process that makes the bluray laser cheaper to make. Otherwise they will be just like all those $30 no-name DVD players that swamped the market a couple of years ago and broke after a year or 2.

Oh, by the way it's ricoman, jagabu. :P
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    By the way, here is a $99 bluray player with free shipping. I have no idea how good it is, but for those who are interested...

http://www.dealdigs.com/story.php?id=33647

edit: Didn't last long, SOLD OUT.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ricoman
    Oh, by the way it's ricoman, jagabu. :P
    Sorry about the typo.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    In jman98's defense, when MidnightWatcher mentioned the LG, I thought he meant it could play those formats when burned to disc. I didn't realize that they played only from a USB drive until I read the article. Maybe jman98 thought the same.
    Well, truthfully, my original question was in regards to burning a DivX or mkv onto a disc, then playing it in the bluray player.

Heck, my Samsung HDTV already has USB input and can play those formats directly from a USB flash drive. It doesn't show DivX HD support, but it supports Xvid, mkv, ASF, WMV, AVI all at 1920 by 1080 resolution.

I've never tried it, though, because i don't have a USB flash drive yet. I wonder if USB can handle all that data thruput, though. Anyone know? I thought USB speed was in bursts, rather than constant.
    Quote Quote  
  18. USB 1.1: 12 Mb/s raw, 6 Mb/s typical throughput
    USB 2.0: 480 Mb/s raw, 240 Mb/s typical throughput
    1920x1080 h.264 typical: 20 to 30 Mb/s
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I meant what I said. The official LG site says absolutely nothing about those capabilities, hence my warning. If jagabo wanted to look up a review that stated what it supported that's fine, but it's pretty sad that you can't get that info out of LG themselves.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank jagabo. i'm excited to try it out. i ordered a 16gb USB flash drive from ebay (hong kong). i'll have to wait for it to arrive, but its half the price of anywhere in the states.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It works! I'm able to play mkv files off a usb flash drive hooked directly into my Samsung 630 series HDTV. The file is h.264 1920 x 864, 23.98p , and there are no skipped frames during playback.

I had to reencode the audio from DTS to MP3 because the TV apparently can't read DTS natively, however its all still in sync.

I'm going to try using an iPod as the source drive now, but i'm really excited. i essentially don't even need to buy a blu ray plaver if i have the mkv's.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got the manual of BD390 http://www.lge.com/us/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=BD...oduct-profile#

and it says that supports

Movie file requirement (USB/DISC)
    Movie file compatibility with this player is limited as follows:
    Available resolution size: 1920 x 1080 (W x H) pixels
    File extensions: “.avi”, “.divx”, “.mpg”, “.mpeg”, “.mp4”, “.mkv”
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by iechuloh
    Movie file requirement (USB/DISC)
    Movie file compatibility with this player is limited as follows:
    Available resolution size: 1920 x 1080 (W x H) pixels
    File extensions: “.avi”, “.divx”, “.mpg”, “.mpeg”, “.mp4”, “.mkv”
    That's pretty vague.