VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Downloaded a movie which has ext: .divx. But all the software I tried none will open it. Tried VirtualDub, Subtitle workshop, Windows Media player, Media Player Classic, VLC Media Player, Avidemux, MediaInfo, GSpot. Can you help pl?

2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try Divx Player.

If it can't play it then it's probably not any video. How big is the file?

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I'll try that player. The file is 1.4Gb.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can probably change the extension to .avi and have it work in everything you mentioned. Its unlikely that whoever created the video used any of the Divx extensions (ie. menus...). And, even if they did, once renamed to .avi the only thing you'll lose is that compatibility. No big loss.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/

5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The file could be corrupted and that's why it won't play. If you got this via Bit Torrent, that's probably what happened.

Hollywood has been known to deliberately make bad files available for download. This could also be what has happened if this is an American movie.

You can try renaming it to .avi as neomaine suggested, but your problem is most likely one of the 2 things I mentioned.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tks guys. Divx player didn't succeed either...it said Does not appear to contain a video track...
    I think that jman98 is right..I downloaded it via Bit Torrent and maybe it is corrupted. The movie is The Deep fyi.
    As a last resort I'll try to change it to .avi and see what happens.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator redwudz

7. Most media players don't rely on the filename extension to determine the container. They examine the contents of the file. Containers all have distinctive structures.

See what MediaInfo or GSpot have to say about the container and A/V streams.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bahnan
    Tks guys. Divx player didn't succeed either...it said Does not appear to contain a video track...
    I think that jman98 is right..I downloaded it via Bit Torrent and maybe it is corrupted. The movie is The Deep fyi.
    As a last resort I'll try to change it to .avi and see what happens.
    Just buy the movie. It's probably in the bargain bin.

You get what you (don't) pay for.