VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everybody,
    maybe someone can help me out there.

Here's what i've got:
    an exercise DVD with basically one single title containing approx. 40 chapters. Each chapter is between 3 to 10 minutes long.
    The only two buttons in the menu let me select between watching the film with or without background music.
    No chapter or scene selection or anything else.
    With the "skip" button of my player i can jump from one chapter to the beginning of the next chapter.
    So keeping those chapter marks is essential.

Now somewhere in the middle of the film at chapter 25 a group of new and different exercises start.
    When i want to watch these exercises i have to skip through the DVD until i reach to the desired position.

What i want to do is to create a new title and related button (in the menu) for those exercises so that i can jump directly from the start menu to that position.

Can anybody give some hints how to manage that? Keeping in mind that the exact chapter marks have to be kept.

Many thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It would probably be possible to add a extra button with DVDRemake Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the proposal.
    Any idea how to do that in DVDRemake?
    I couldn't find out
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brennbaer
    Any idea how to do that in DVDRemake?
    Duplicate main PGC (right-click on it and choose 'Duplicate'). This will add a copy of it without physically duplicating the content. Remove unwanted cells from it using delete key in Programs tab. In VTS Titles (highlight 'Titles' in Program Chains) add a new title ('Add title') from right click menu. From right click on the line 'Title # ', added for the new title, use 'Assign PGCs' (point at the # of created one), then 'Set Entry PGC' (the same) and next 'Add Chapters' - create chapters for the existing programs. Register the new title in VMG Titles by creating new VMG title and mapping it to (VTS # + VTS title #).
    To create a button, the easiest (without editing menu subpicture) would be creating a button highlight ("Add button') near some existing button, setting its number as 'adjacent' to that older button (in 'edit button' menu of the older button) and making it 'auto-activated'. Then add button command to it like 'Jump VMG Title # '.
    You can edit menu background (draw an arrow pointing at the new button) to visualize its position.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Have you tried hitting "2-5-select" on your DVD player remote while the title is playing?

This allows me to skip to any chapter directly on a Philips DVD player. (Some players do this, some don't)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Baldrick:
    thanks for the software proposal

@qpskfec:
    thanks for the suggestion but i wanted to have a real button for direct selecting the chapter.

@Alex_ander:
    many thanks for your little "tutorial".
    I didn`t do it exactly your way but your description led me to the right direction.
    There was actually no need for creating a new title. I could link the new button directly to the desired chapter.
    So DVD now works as desired

Besides that i still have some questions about your method.
    First i couldn't find out how to create a new VMG title.
    Second i couldn't manage to edit the background menu for visualizing the button's position. (This was fortunately not necessary in that case because i could put the button to a prominent location where i can find it eassily.)

Maybe you could shed a light about these two points?

thanks again in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First i couldn't find out how to create a new VMG title.
    Second i couldn't manage to edit the background menu for visualizing the button's position.
    1.Each new VTS title can be registered as a VMG title. Once you created it in a VTS (registered in VTS titles), just highlight 'VMG Titles' in DVD tree and select 'Add Title(s)' from right click on its tab. You'll be prompted to select a VTS# and a title # within it.

2.Here's a good guide:
    http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremakepro/ht_customize_menu_background.php
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Alex_ander,
    any thanks again
    Originally Posted by Alex_ander
    OK, now i see.
    In this simple case i thought that there was a way to edit the background menu directly in DVDRemake...

So i guess when creating the dummy DVD it should also be possible to add some nice effects to the new button like e.g. highlight or color change at "mouse-over" or click...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So i guess when creating the dummy DVD it should also be possible to add some nice effects to the new button like e.g. highlight or color change at "mouse-over" or click...
    You can only edit a still background picture this way, e.g. paint an auto-activated button, like some text and arrow pointing at it. To make a full-functioning button you'd also need to edit subpicture layer behind the highlight rectangle you add for that button. It is possible to do with DVDSubEdit (described in its manual) but not always easy.

Editing highlight colors for the existing buttons is possible in DVDRemake by editing color look-up table (CLUT) and by assigning different buttons to different color schemes (edited in place or imported from another project).
    Quote Quote