VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've recorded my son's wedding using two video cameras. I set one as a stationary camera getting the whole wedding party and the other was setup for a close-up on the bride and groom.

First problem, two different types of cameras. I ended up making DVD's out of both and now have the videos in .VOB/.IFO/.BUP files.

Now that they're in the same file formats (I think, I'm new to this end), can I "slice and dice" to make one professional looking video (changing camera views) or am I stuck with what I have?

I'm use to filming, editing one video and making DVD (simple editing procedures) so be detailed.

Curt
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Curt, what are the formats of the source videos? You ought to recapture your footage to PC in a format like DV-AVI, and only encode to DVD after editing is finished. You do yourself no favors by encoding to DVD before editing.

What editing tools do you have at your disposal? You will likely need a decent timeline editor (with multiple video and audio track options) to synchronize the videos, using whichever audio source is best.

Once your project is edited, then you can output to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a JVC GR-DVL920U miniDV Camcorder (stationary one) and a Panasonic SDR-80K (60 gig hdd) as the zoom. The miniDV is intact and I can do it again. The Panasonic was ported over to the computer and has a .cont, .mpg & a .mtv file (haven't the slightest of 2 of those formats). The hard drive has been wiped and is in the Dominican Repuplic now (honeymoon).

Software: I have Studio 9 (Pinnacle) which came with the ATI card, Pixela ImageMixer 1.0 that came with the camcorder. I also have multiple versions of ULead but I'm not that pleased with them (everyone has an opinion). I have used a version of tmpGen (spelled wrong, I'm sure) a long time ago, liked it most of the time. I'm open to any free stuff that work. I downloaded a trial of Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0 but my system can't handle it.

The audio I will probably take from the panasonic and I'm not to concerned if the sound doesn't match perfect. Obviously they aren't always facing the camera. But I would like it close.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would use studio 9 and see if you can import the mpg file. Then re-capture the minidv using studio 9. If you can't import mpg into studio 9, then search for a mpg to avi converting program on this site. After both are imported, slice and dice as you see fit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you upgrade from Studio 9 to version 9.43 (free after registring the program in pinnacleŽs website) youŽll be able to import DVD files as MPGs, it also can capture and convert to MPG2 on the fly(for the miniDV tape) But Studio doesnŽt support two track editing (specially if they are diferent formats). YouŽll need another, more complete editor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by julitomg
    But Studio doesnŽt support two track editing (specially if they are diferent formats). YouŽll need another, more complete editor.
    Since when? I started out using studio 9 when it first came out and it supported multiple video and audio tracks back then.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did the exact same thing with my in laws video, they gave me 2 sources and asked for one video.

2 different cams (1 HDV 1 analogue).

I cant help with your programs but I used Sony Vegas 7 and it was very good at this. If you could try the trial version it may be an option for you.

Simply splice your videos from each different source (they import as seperate files) into the arrangement you want (mixing and matching the video) and have the audio track you prefer playing.

There was a bit of lip synching to be done since they did not always match but that also is just a matter of adjusting the video position in the timeline to meet the audio.

I imported the HDV file from the HD cam and the uncompressed AVI capture of the analgue, made all my edits before finally exporting to DVD cimpliant MPEG-2.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. I'll try it this weekend and let you know if I have any problems or success.
    Quote Quote  
  9. julitomg wrote:
    But Studio doesnŽt support two track editing (specially if they are diferent formats). YouŽll need another, more complete editor.

Since when? I started out using studio 9 when it first came out and it supported multiple video and audio tracks back then.
    My apologies, I must admit that altough I do have Studio 9 (not 9 plus), I almost only use it to capure video (it came with my pinnacle Studio deluxe card), both firewire and analog (also to import MPG footage from DVD sources as mentioned earlier), after the video files are transferred (or captured) I edit in Premiere. Maybe I didnŽt look deep enough into StudioŽs manual but all I see in the GUI (on timeline mode) is one track for video and one track for titling, effects, etc..(not a real video track, maybe I never cared to experiment more with it), again, I only have the plain 9.x version, not the 9.x PLUS version.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No luck, so far. I put a new power supply in the Vista machine and tried to install Adobe Elements and VegasPro 9 trial versions. Adobe still had a problem with my computer speed but VegasPro installed. I manage to get the Pioneer version into the program but hadn't had any luck with the JVC version. Learning how to use VegasPro may be more time consuming than I'm willing to do on this project since I don't think it will turn out as nice as I'd like. The idea was great but the second video isn't as high a quality and I don't know if a wide screen and standard screen formats will mesh well. I may play with it on the side but I think they will be happy enough with two separate videos. Thanks for the help.

Curt
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    If you don't want to fiddle with editing them both you could do a multi-angle dvd and let them pick which angle they want to see. each viewing would be different! :P.

You would still need to get them both on the same timeline and sync'ed. All you have to do is import both the audio and video from both sources, then sync the audio up and discard the audio track you don't want.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Montezuma45
    No luck, so far. I put a new power supply in the Vista machine and tried to install Adobe Elements and VegasPro 9 trial versions. Adobe still had a problem with my computer speed but VegasPro installed. I manage to get the Pioneer version into the program but hadn't had any luck with the JVC version. Learning how to use VegasPro may be more time consuming than I'm willing to do on this project since I don't think it will turn out as nice as I'd like. The idea was great but the second video isn't as high a quality and I don't know if a wide screen and standard screen formats will mesh well. I may play with it on the side but I think they will be happy enough with two separate videos. Thanks for the help.

Curt
    Just something that may be an idea, what I did in regards to the widescreen and the standard screen clash was to scan a copy of their wedding invite (or any wedding themed image will do) which was a really nice white/cream styled thing and had it on a track below the other two videos.

Then when the video was changing from widescreen to standard, instead of black bars appearing on the sides when the standard screen didnt fill the screen it was an pleasant wedding themed image.

It may sound odd when describing it but it really worked rather nice and made it feel much more polished than the constant black bars appearing and disappearing.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote