VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When converting a video with stereo audio to mono setting in HandBrake, the encoded video file has a running time twice as long. The video remain alright, just the audio plays at half speed and sounds like slow-mo audio. Half way through the video goes out, while audio continues.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What format is your input file? What formats are your output files? Use mediainfo if you don't know

Try another application e.g. MeGUI . In order to convert to mono you have to set the settings correctly

If you don't want to waste time re-encoding the video, just do the audio then mux it into the container
    Quote Quote  
  3. It seem to happen on all video/audio formats I've tried.
    Any combination DivX/XviD/H264/WMV with VRB or CBR MP3/AAC.

I did try MeGUI before HandBrake, but after encoded H264 video files were unplayable. When open in QuickTime a message stating "Invalid preview parameter..." appears. Also unplayable in other video players like Media Player Classic but without the error message.

I actually do want to re-encode both video and audio. It's for mobile deployent, and since most mid-tier phones have mono speakers, I want to encode them in mono audio. Incidentally on another note, which program works best for encoding with H264 in the 3GP container (currently using AME, but have to do that extra step due to the out of sync audio with VBR audio sources)?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You might be doing something wrong, maybe your settings are incorrect.

If its for a mobile phone, you need compliant audio & video settings. Most are very limited and picky for what they will accept. Some people have success using Super for cell phones.

If you can't figure it out, post more detailed information on the source file and your settings used, or upload a sample to a free hosting site.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think this is a known bug in Handbrake (I had the same problem some time ago making a test encoding in mono).
    The simple solution is to encode the audio in stereo.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I figured out after some testing that this stereo source to mono conversion only seems to be the case when with a VBR source. I tried with a CBR audio source and there is no slow-mo audio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I get the same thing when converting any 720p video to the Apple universal preset. I think I tried the iphone preset too, either way I get a 5 hour= file with normal video and slow audio just as described above.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't like the babylon tool bar that was included with Handbrake. It installed without giving a choice, and required some manual editing even after uninstall to get rid of the thing.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote