VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new to streaming and need help getting blu rays to stream to my ps3. This is what I've done so far and my set up. I've ripped blu rays to my hard drive using AnyDVD and converted with TsRemux to m2ts. I've also tried tsmuxer. I use ps3 media server. I connect hard wired to my ps3 through a dlink 655 router. Total length between pc and ps3 is about 30 feet. I've tried letting the buffer build up in ps3 media server as well as lower the max bandwidth. No matter what settings I change or progams I use, the end result is very choppy. Plays great on my pc. Non HD content plays fine. I've gone through many guides trying to figure it out. I feel like theres something I'm missing. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Instead of streaming I do a file copy to the PS3 then play it back from the HDD of the PS3.

When you are done watching it then delete it (from the PS3's HDD not your computer's HDD).

The file copy is faster than real time ... say 15 - 20 minutes for a large 720p/1080p file.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only problem with that is the file size. I don't want to break apart the file and the ps3 wont see anything over 4gb correctly. For smaller files its a great way to go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look at your router settings. I stream over wireless and can stream 720p footage at moderate bitrates to the PS3 without issue. I have given the PS3 and the desktop that serves it static IP addresses, and I have added a static route between the two to the router config. I have also turned on the QoS feature for media serving in my router between these to addresses.

I suggest you do similar with yours. Look at what features your router provides and tweak it accordingly. A static route smooths flow between the addresses at either end, and Quality of Service (QoS) will make sure that traffic between the two gets priority over anything else on the network.

Also, kill as much as possible when it comes to background tasks that access the net. Close any browsers and anything that polls the internet frequently.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks I'll take a look at the router settings. I gave up on the wireless part thinking that was the initial problem. I make sure that nothing else is going on on the network already. Hopefully the router settings will fix it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wireless won't do full 1080 because the PS3 only supports G, and not draft N. But on a wired connection you should not be having these issues.

The other thing to check is disc usage. If you have an anti-virus program (and you should), try putting your movie folder in it's exclusions list for the real-time scanner. This will stop the anti-virus program checking the files as you read them. Make sure it doesn't start a scan while you are watching videos.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So Ive ruled out Kaspersky. It's not hindering the performance. I've assigned static Ip's to my pc and ps3. Configured QoS for media streaming. My router doesn't have a static route configuration option. Nothing has changed in the performance. I even switched out the cable just to test. Still constant studdering. Is there a better program than PS3 media server? I'm out of ideas at this point. Thanks again for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thekid138
    The only problem with that is the file size. I don't want to break apart the file and the ps3 wont see anything over 4gb correctly. For smaller files its a great way to go.
    WRONG WRONG WRONG

You can file copy from your computer to your PS3 and there is no 4GB barrier. The 4GB barrier is only there when using external media like an external USB 2.0 HDD or a USB thumb drive etc.

I've copied files to my PS3 that were as large as 11GB (I'm talking M2TS 1080p video files with 5.1 AC-3 audio).

Again there is no file size limit when you file copy through a UPnP media server.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have also discovered the beauty that is the M2TS file, and of course TSMuxer. Those files are fine at any size on the PS3 HDD, assuming the video works (h264 profile nonsense! WTF?!?!?!), however, MP4 files cannot be bigger than 4 GB. I'd started a copy to the HDD of an MP4 file bigger than 4 GB only the PS3 wigged out toward the end.

Why is this PS3 HDD file format so shrouded in secrecy? If its not NTFS or FAT32 WTF is it, and why in the F can't it read an NTFS formatted USB Drive?

Another thing I've been struggling with:
    Does anyone know what the exact specs are on what h.264 settings are compatible with PS3? Besides 4.1 high profile. Maybe more specific stuff.
    Quote Quote