VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so ive been using movavi video suite which has been working so far to merge video files but ive run into 2 problems one is the end result takes a total of 4 or 5gb of avi files and turns it into 30gb file which doesnt make sense how that happens for the most part its been working ok but now the audo is at a faster speed almost sounds like a chipmunk.

i ran into this forum (https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368984.html#1974819) but forgive me I was unable to follow it i got confused when it said "under video and audio choose copy" ive merged one time with vdub but the audio was off. can anyone help me with correcting the audio on vdub or help with avidemux or any other suggestions or programs that work for them? thanks alot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are getting 30 GBs of video as output because you are not choosing a codec in your editor, and are getting uncompressed video as a result. Your video could be caused by changing sampling rates or simply because you don't have the right codecs installed.

I would start by re-installing your editor and setting up your renders correctly. It will be simpler to get it right here than to have to join again in other programs.

In virtualdub you are looking for Direct Stream Copy, not copy. This will export the video without re-encoding it.

AVI Demux works in a similar manner. Import the first video (File -> Load) then Append the rest. Make sure that Video and Audio are set to Copy on the main page, then save the new video. With AVI Demux you have to include the .avi in the file name when you save, as it won't do it for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey thanks for response ill give the avidemux a try this is what i did in virtualdub http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/merge-multiple-video-files-with-virtualdub/ but again the audio was out of sync and im not good enough to know how to prevent that or correct that

as far as movavi i dont remember seeing it give me the option for the codec but doesnt mean its not there im sure it is. i just kind of left everything as default i had it avi(divx,xvid,etc) and mpeg4 xvid compatible

Ill end up giving avidemux a try and let u know how that works out for me. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it said i may need smart copy enabled i click yes then wants q factor (set 4) i have it default as 4...wish me luck ha lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    4 is OK, as it is only encoding a couple of frames around the join. I usually 2, FWIW.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i appreciate your responses and espically being pretty quick ones...ok so using avidemux it did a good job...except it ended up cutting off like 2 hours of the 2nd file...the actual merger part and the audio seemed to be good it wasnt a huge file like the other program...do you know why it would have cut off the rest of it? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by carlos28355
    i appreciate your responses and espically being pretty quick ones...ok so using avidemux it did a good job...except it ended up cutting off like 2 hours of the 2nd file...the actual merger part and the audio seemed to be good it wasnt a huge file like the other program...do you know why it would have cut off the rest of it? thanks
    Is it split into several files or completely gone?

If it's split by filesize, you may have to enable "create open DML files" in the tools=>preferences=>output
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok that worked it put it all in one file which is great! thanks alot i appreciate it. now can you answer this for me...why is it when i go to fastforward the avi i lose all sound...?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Not sure.

What kind of audio & video were your input avi files? use mediainfo

What media player are you using that has the FF problems? Maybe try another one e.g. kmplayer or vlc
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i used creative came with my sound card also i used wmp i know not great but it did the same thing in both i just used winamp and when i fast forward in there it just closes the file? but vlc worked great my biggest fear is that if i fast forward when im streaming it to my xbox 360 that it doesnt mess up there...heres one of the original files...

General
    Complete name : I:\My Videos\My Movies\Anime\lodoss\b.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 2.77 GiB
    Duration : 2h 26mn
    Overall bit rate : 2 698 Kbps
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)
    Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2178/release

Video
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format settings, BVOP : No
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Bit rate : 2 464 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 544 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4/3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.210
    Stream size : 2.53 GiB (91%)
    Writing library : XviD 1.1.0 Beta2 (UTC 2005-04-04)

Audio
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Codec ID : 2000
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 224 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Stream size : 235 MiB (8%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 96 ms (2.88 video frames)
    Interleave, preload duration : 96 ms
    Language : Japanese
    Quote Quote  
  11. Nothing that looks too out of the ordinary

If VLC works fine for the appended files, I am not sure there is anything else you can do to make it more compatible with the other players

It's a longshot, but you could try to re-mux it into a new avi container using avimux-gui. No re-encoding, it just re-packages the .avi so it will only take a minute.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok so im going to try and re-mux although i dont know what im doing ha i stream the movie to my xbox 360 and it plays sound is good but when i fast forward it. it tells me that it is not supported and closes the file??? i dunno whats going..)=
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok so wow you are the best thanks alot poisondeathray a ton and also thank guns1inger so far so great everything is working and even streaming through my xbox again many thanks! until next time! (;
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    one final thing actually when i am doing the merging in avidemux it tells me.."indes is not up to date. you should use tool rebuild frame. do it now?" what does that mean and should i do it or not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes you should. A broken index might be the cause of your audio issue.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey guys i really appreaciate all your help and just when i thought i have taken care of everything i have gotten a new problem i was wondering if by chance you could take a look for me thanks (= https://forum.videohelp.com/topic369498.html#1979067
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    You are getting 30 GBs of video as output because you are not choosing a codec in your editor, and are getting uncompressed video as a result. Your video could be caused by changing sampling rates or simply because you don't have the right codecs installed.

I would start by re-installing your editor and setting up your renders correctly. It will be simpler to get it right here than to have to join again in other programs.

In virtualdub you are looking for Direct Stream Copy, not copy. This will export the video without re-encoding it.

AVI Demux works in a similar manner. Import the first video (File -> Load) then Append the rest. Make sure that Video and Audio are set to Copy on the main page, then save the new video. With AVI Demux you have to include the .avi in the file name when you save, as it won't do it for you.
    AVIdemux is great, except i have 5000+ files I want to combine into one giant video file. There is no way I can manually append that many files. I found some scripts online for avidemux to auto append, but I have no idea how to use the script. Can you please help me?
    Quote Quote