VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I basically turn my laptop and web cam into a camera? I would like to have my webcam (pointed away from lap top ) on and record two or three hours directly to the dvd in real time and bypass the hard drive totally. Obviously some cameras with disc do this. Can I get laptop to?

Ideally of course I would like to be able to stop and start, picking up where I left off. Somebody told me Pinnacle software of some type would allow this. The direct to dvd burner.

Can Dvd burner accept a data stream like this that is so slow in real time? That means it would be burning at slow rate for long, long time. Hours. I dont need high quality or editing.

Other option is to simply record to hard drive and then either burn dvd or down load to cigar drive or something. Speed of download is an issue. I need to hand it to client almost immediately. I'm recording long meetings.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think you may be asking too much from a laptop. If your webcam setup can capture in MPEG-2, maybe. But I suspect it's going to be in a different format, then you would need to do on-the-fly conversion to DVD, then author it to burn the disc if you want a DVD compliant format. Maybe with a hardware encoder. A DVR with a camera and mic attached would be closer to doing what you want.

But others here may have some ideas.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote