VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently got a PS3 and an HDTV. The HDTV is a 24" Samsung T240HD which is 16:9 with 1080p.

Today I got my first bluray(s), the Spider-Man trilogy bluray box set. I just so happen to also have all 3 Spider-Man films on regular DVD as well. So to compare DVD to Bluray I decided to use Spider-Man 3 as my example, since of the 3 it's the only one I have on widescreen. (1 and 2 are Full Screen, I had a CRT TV when I got those.)

For my screen test I played the scene where the crane smashes a big chunk of a skyscraper and Spidey saves Gwen Stacy from near death. I saw a bit of a quality jump going from DVD to bluray, but there is one problem here.

In this case, and I've noticed the same with other widescreen DVDs, even though my TV is 16:9 I'm still getting black bars on the top & bottoms of certain widescreen movies. I thought having a 16:9 TV would eliminate these black bars. What does it take to watch these movies without the black bars? Are there even TV screens wider than 16:9??
    do u teevee?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Even though you're looking through a 16x9 window, movies are released in several different aspect ratios: 1.78 will fill the whole screen while 1.85 and 2.35 will give you black bars. Spiderman is 1.85
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Spider-Man 1 is 1.85:1
    Spidey 2 and 3 are 2.40:1
    do u teevee?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Startropic1
    Are there even TV screens wider than 16:9??
    Philips released a 21:9 model recently. Here is a review

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2009/06/10/Philips-Cinema-21-9-56PFL9954H-56in-LCD-TV/p1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Originally Posted by Startropic1
    Are there even TV screens wider than 16:9??
    Philips released a 21:9 model recently. Here is a review

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2009/06/10/Philips-Cinema-21-9-56PFL9954H-56in-LCD-TV/p1

i want!......time to start saving!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as i did when i first got mine you will notice with you 16:9 widescreen tv that even with the black bars one some widescreen movies they are not a thick as on a square tv. picture is far more viewable.
    Quote Quote