VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to bother you guys but does anyone know if the quality of a video will decrease if i try to mux in a new audio file with mkvmerge. I basically converted one of my dvds into a mkv with the original japanese language but now i want to add in the english dub version as well but i am concerned if i do this the overall quality of the video will deteriorate. If anyone can shed some light on this, i would be grateful.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Muxing has nothing to do with encoding so no quality is lost on the video,its just combining audio and video.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Basically, the video file is untouched & so is the audio file you use, muxing just brings the 2 of them together to make a single file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool thanks, i was asking because when i did it before i thought i saw the quality was lower but i guess it was all in my head.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But doesn't converting twice degrade the video? I think he converted it once for the Japanese, then wants to convert the Japanese verison to add the English. Won't the two conversions degrade the final product?
    There are no problems - only chances to excel.
    -- Unknown
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by M Bruner
    But doesn't converting twice degrade the video? I think he converted it once for the Japanese, then wants to convert the Japanese version to add the English. Won't the two conversions degrade the final product?
    No, all he is doing is adding another audio file, no change to the video file has been made no matter how many audio files are added, it is just like sewing on a new button to a shirt & then changing it to a fancy button, & then add a different button as well, the shirt is still the same quality, just that you have added different buttons to it, the file size will increase obviously.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If doing it properly, you can mux, demux, remux, etc, millions, or rather an infinite amount, of times with zero loss in quality.

This is not the case with (re-)encoding with lossy formats such as MPEG-1/2/4, WMV, DivX, Xvid, H.264/x264, etc.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote