VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been converting my DVDs to .mkv using MakeMKV which extracts the .mpg video and .ac3 audio. My question is, how to take the .mkv and turn it into a .vob/.iso without changing the video/audio. Basically just take the .mpg and .ac3 as it is and make it into a .vob/.iso back to DVD format. Does that make sense? Anyone know of any good programs that do this? Thanks in advance for the advice and help. Noob here.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try use mkvtoolnix or mkvextractgui to extract the video and audio and then reauthor to a new dvd using muxman or guifordvdauthor. No reconversion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much! That helped so much!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I use and have used for several years now < ConvertXtoDVD > its really dummy proof (no offense) and produces top quality DVD File set. It's very fast as well, depending on your machine, it takes somewhere around 30-45 mins to transcode just about any format of Video/Audio, Avi,XVID,Mpeg4,WMV, MKV (a bit slower for MKV due to the extreme compression of video for the codec), the list goes on, it also has burning software built-in, so its a click-and-forget, it operates unattended til burn is completed. Custom menu options make the DVD look professional. However it is not freeware, and unless purchased or "Cracked" it limits the results to an incomplete final product. The price is well worth the functionality and versatility. Good Luck!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    pcasey535780: It would be easier but I'm pretty sure that convertxtodvd will reconvert the already dvd compliant mpeg stream in the mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your right about that one, I'm a bonehead! I was thinking the 720p Blu-Ray Movies that are in a MKV Container, I use ConvertXtoDVD to trans code those to a DVD File set and bitrate. MakeMKV just remux the VOB files. DVDs MPeg2 compression is so inferior to other available compression CoDecs these days, it feels so inefficient to use dvd format/bitrate anymore.
    Quote Quote