VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,I have 4 karaoke dvd saved in hard drive. I want to convert them to xvid and burn them on the same disc (4gb or 8gb). I also want to maintain all the original song chapters. Is there a way to do this?
    Thanks for all responses.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not in xvid.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you use a Divx authoring tool, and encode to Divx, you can rebuild the chapters so the new videos have them, however the chapters will only work if you use the Divx Player on your PC, or if you have a Divx Ultra certified DVD player.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A workaround could be to cut in pieces the final xvid file to the points the chapters originally existed.
    Then use numbers for the names. In a batch playback it's going to be like chapters

Another solution is to use the mkv container. There is a way to add chapters to any file that way, but I don't know it myself.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Xvid just a video codec commonly used for MPEG4 ASP compressions?
    The video can be converted with xvid just fine, but to maintain the chapters, a proper container should be used.
    As pointed by SatStorm, mkv should be able to handle this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by volam
    Hi,I have 4 karaoke dvd saved in hard drive. I want to convert them to xvid and burn them on the same disc (4gb or 8gb). I also want to maintain all the original song chapters. Is there a way to do this?
    Thanks for all responses.
    So this is to play on a DVD player, that supports Xvid?

Probably if you cut each chapter to a separate file and name them sequentially, (vid01.avi, vid02.avi...) the player will play them in order, and clicking "next" will take you to the next one, basically the same as chapters.

I think you could use PGCdemux to split the VOBs by chapters (cells) first, then batch convert them to Xvid.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all,
    I think it is more convenient to convert to xvid first, then cut it in pieces, but I don't know what tool to cut the xvid file.
    one problem I encounter is the xvid movie only contains 1 audio track (I use ALLTOAVI software to convert).
    another thing I want to do is I want to make a 2gb xvid file from a 4gb original dvd so I can get a decend video quality, but so far I only can get 1gb xvid file.
    Anyone has any more idea? thankyou.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all,
    I think it is more convenient to convert to xvid first, then cut it in pieces, but I don't know what tool to cut the xvid file.
    one problem I encounter is the xvid movie only contains 1 audio track (I use ALLTOAVI software to convert).
    If you want better results, more control, read the guides here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use virtualdub to cut xvid. It's very easy. Direct stream copy for both audio / video and you are OK.

And no, you won't be able to playback mkv with a DVD standalone.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try VirtualDubMod. Open a VOB file. Set up any filtering (resize?). Set up the Xvid compression to your liking (I would use single pass, target quantizer mode with a quantizer of 3). Use the Mark-in and Mark-out tools to mark a song. Save as AVI. Mark the next song. Save as AVI. Etc.

You will run into a problem if a song spans two VOB files.

The reason to use VirtualDubMod instead of the regular VirtualDub is because the former will ignore pulldown flags in NTSC video. The latter will perform pulldown and leave you with interlaced frames.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is a quick thought. I will use MPG2CUT2 to join all vob files and save as one big mpg file. then use virtualdubmod to cut. I don't know if virtualdubmod takes mpg file and convert to multipletrack audio avi files.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by volam
    I will use MPG2CUT2 to join all vob files and save as one big mpg file
    Or VOB2MPG.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this is a quick thought. I will use MPG2CUT2 to join all vob files
    Better to use a tool that is designed to do this:
    VOB2MPEG or PGCDEMUX or Rejig, all free and simple.
    They will give you a continuous MPEG file which you can then edit or convert.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know Fairuse Wizardhas a option to do each chapter as a seperate file
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fairuse is exactly what I need. the free version only allows 700mb movie to be made.the $29.99 full version does larger size movie.the only little problem I see is it only takes vob files from the dvd disc, and image file from hard drive.
    Quote Quote