VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This seems like it would be a common (and well documented) subject, but I really haven't found a good answer.

Is there a relatively simple (and free) program that will rip a TV series DVD into individual avi files? I tried looking into DVD Decrypter, but I can't find a way to have it read from a DVD in a folder on my hard disk.

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use DVDshrink to separate the individual episodes (use remake a DVD function). Then use AutoGK to convert to AVI (XVID).

DVDx and Handbrake can do the same and might even let you pick the episodes, but I've never tried them.

You'll want to check the episodes' audio delay with PGCDemux. Sometimes AutoGK gets that wrong when splitting with Shrink.

A thought I just had, might be easier and safer to convert the entire DVD in AutoGK and then do the splitting with VdubMod.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by nic2k4
    You'll want to check the episodes' audio delay with PGCDemux.
    Which is another way to separate out the episodes. Check only the 'Create A PGC VOB' box and then choose the PGC (episode) you want to separate out. This assumes you don't want subtitles as AutoGK needs IFOs to get subtitles. Unless you get the subs separately and then feed them into AutoGK. When done open the VOB in AutoGK.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks! I'll give those ideas a try.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using DVD Decryptor, check off the pull down in the menu "IFO". This will give individual episodes. Also check under filesplitting in the options menu and set it for "none" or "Do not split files". I have been using this method for years to get the individual episodes from discs I record on my DVD recorders before encoding them with AutoGK....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a relatively simple (and free) program that will rip a TV series DVD into individual avi files?
    One word: Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usta
    a relatively simple (and free) program that will rip a TV series DVD into individual avi files?
    One word: Handbrake.
    One word: Awesome

That was WAY too easy. Didn't have to install 35 associated tools to support it - it just worked first time out of the box.

Thanks!!
    Quote Quote