VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I have a new Yamaha HTR-5640 6.1 Ch and I've got a DIVX file here that says it's AC3-6CH so I'm wondering how to get that into the receiver the right way.

I've got a new mobo that says Realtek ALC887 8 Channels and HDMI out. I've also got a Philips DVP3962 DVD with USB input and digital coaxial out.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's a good chance that your motherboard has a S/PDIF (Encoded digital audio) header on the motherboard itself, especially if it has a HDMI connection. I just made up a adapter with a RCA jack mounted on a PCI slot cover and used a old two conductor cable and connector (A unused CD drive>MB audio cable) from the MB socket to the RCA jack. That give me coaxial audio out to my amp. There are only two connections needed, digital audio and ground.

But if you go the the motherboard manufacturer's site, you may likely see an S/PDIF adapter as a accessory. Some even have the optical output included. (They use three wires from the MB. The third wire is for power for the LED and a small IC for the optical output.

One from Gigabyte that also has optical out:

Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for the answer. this is helpful

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. Spam signature.
    / Moderator Baldrick
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey thanks... I know this is a stupid question ... but I do have S/PDIF out on the mobo ... is that just another word for optical?? Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    S/PDIF out can be optical or coaxial so you dont need an optical connector if your mobo has a 2 pin connector for a wired s/pdif.I just wired a 2 pin connector from my x-fi s/pdif to my 260gtx so i can get audio from my dvi/hdmi out to my hdtv.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That connector I posted for S/PDIF out has a straight-through coaxial digital output with all the available Dolby surround sound. The optical part uses that same signal and converts it to optical with a LED output. But both outputs are exactly the same, just one is electrical and the other is optical.
    Quote Quote