VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I once authored single layer DVDs with subtitles in Ulead DVD Workshop 2. I had two episodes on a disc at the time and I was able to save the subtitle files as .txt files. The .txt files contained timed subtitles for two episodes only.

Now I wish to do this again but on duals and I will be fitting 6 or 7 episodes on a disc. What I was thinking of doing is simply putting two episodes in one title and having 3 titles on a disc with each title having the subtitle file I created above.

I prefer to make 6 episodes as one title rather than have to split them into 3 titles just because my .txt subtitle files were originally done and timed that way.

Any way I can join the .txt files or is there any other method?

Would using the IDX/SUB files on my first DVDs and joining them work? The only issue is, that my authoring software only recognized .txt files and not IDX/SUB. I was thinking of extracting the subtitles as IDX/SUBm joining them, and then converting to .txt files again. However, this might not work too well if I want to put 7 episodes since the subtitle files are in multiples of two. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Generically speaking, two approaches may be possible: 1) combine your subtitle files using a text editor, or 2) combine them with a subtitle authoring program.

1) Requires the structure of your .txt files to be easily editable manually. You'll have to open the files in a text editor, inspect their structure (or lack thereof hopefully!) and experiment with some copying and pasting.

2) Works quite well when the format of your files is well understood by the authoring program, meaning you don't want any information getting lost by conversion to the program's internal format. In my experience with Aegisub it does this job quite well. Open the destination file in Aegisub, open the source file in another instance, highlight and copy the lines you want and paste them into the destination file. You can now optionally sort the combination on subtitle time if you want to. Then save to the format you require. I've used this approach with .srt, .sub and .ssa files. Hopefully it works for your .txt file format too. Otherwise try other authoring programs.

Kind regards,
    Francois
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wasimismail
    I once authored single layer DVDs with subtitles in Ulead DVD Workshop 2. I had two episodes on a disc at the time and I was able to save the subtitle files as .txt files.
    Paste a few lines from your "txt" files here.

I guess they're in SRT format, but there are several others.

Subtitle Workshop can join SRT, and most other text-based (not bitmap) formats.
    Quote Quote  
  4. VobSub Joiner (included with the VobSub package) can join IDX/SUB files. Personally, I think you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I see no good reason at all not to author each episode as a separate title.
    Quote Quote