VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I downloaded some avi files. They are valid and uncorrupted because I can get them to work fine sometimes(other than being a little dark). However, when I get one to work, then I try to play another one(one that I know worked just an hour before), it wont show video again, only sound.

It's not a codec problem. I have lots of codec packs installed. I have programs that check which codec the video requires and they have shown that I have the codec and its installed properly.

I have media player 9, media player classic, divx player, quicktime, and I think a few others and reacts the same in all of them(no video, but sound).

I read in one forum something about xp not knowing how to open avi files properly, that you go to tools, folder options, file types, avi, then change from play to open so it will play the file rather than just loading it. This didnt exactly work, but I have found a work around. However, not only is it a big pain, but I still need to know what's wrong with my computer or software or what.

Here's how I get around the problem. I try to play the file once in media player 9(no video, only sound), then i go to tools, folder options, file types, avi, details for 'avi' extension, and change the "opens with" to media player classic, then go double click the file again and it plays properly with both video and sound.

Obviously some kind of setting is getting messed up every time i open it properly, but what? I'm not real tech savvy, but I can follow instructions and figure out what you mean if someone can just give me some ideas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it does turn out to be a codec problem. Is there a reason you needed more than one codec pack installed? Most codec packs are built on the "installs all the codecs you'll ever need" idea, so...

What happens if you use a different player than Windows Media Player? Better still, try a player that doesn't depend on the system codecs, like VLC, and see if some or all of those problems persist.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's not a codec problem. I have lots of codec packs installed.
    A bigger self-contradiction I am yet to see.

One codec pack risks putting mixed settings and unnecessary crap on your machine. More than one codec pack is saying to the world :

"I don't care how many times I have to re-install Windows".

But I am being harsh.

You are right - you don't have a codec problem.

You have a codec pack problem.

If you can possibly do it (and I doubt that you can on, several levels), uninstall the codec packs, then clean up the mess left behind with filmerit.

Once you have everything back to normal, use mediainfo to tell you which codec you need, and install just that codec.

If you don't do any encoding, and only watch videos, then use a better player that doesn't need lots of codecs installed, such as VLC or The KM Player. At worst, install FFDShow.

Actually, I lied earlier. If you install a codec pack, you have a codec problem.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What the others said. Try VLC. If it works, you most likely do have a codec problem. If it doesn't, you may have a overlay problem. That typically shows as a blank black screen and the audio works fine. It's a more common problem on a external display. The 'fix' is in your video card settings.

Think of installing most codec packs to be about like selecting 20 programs completely at random and installing them on your computer and hoping they don't cause problems. And you will likely run into some more problems trying to uninstall the packs. They don't go away quietly.

Net time, you might try ffdshow. It's not a codec pack but it does enable playback of quite a few formats with most players.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hiya Guys..

Im having problems playing video files on my computer and i HAVE narrowed it down to a definite codec issue.

When i play an avi file (in any video player, ive tried many) all i can get out is audio and no picture. Every time i try to play an avi file, only sound.

i used a codec scanner and the following codecs are broken:

VP60® Simple Profile
    VP61® Advanced Profile

before i had this problem i was using a mp4 player to play an mp4 file.. i think this may have screwed with my codecs, im not sure

SO, is there a way to fix this problem?

Cheers,
    James
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even players like VLC? If all you're getting is a black screen, even in players like VLC that don't depend upon the system codecs/filters, it could be an overlay issue (or you're viewing videos that only have a black screen for the video... ). Try opening two copies of the player at once and see if the video plays properly in one of them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hey, i downloaded the VLC player and it worked a treat!

Thanks a whole lot and i will recomend the VLC player and your help forums to anyone i know with similar issues.

Cheers again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad I could be of some help.

However, keep in mind that while VLC doesn't use the system codecs/filters, whatever problem(s) you were having with them is still there, so if you use another program that needs them (to convert, for example), the problem will come back.

VLC has its own conversion/transcoding features, but they may be slightly difficult to find and use, and may not offer the quality you would be looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  9. i realise the fact that my problem still is in my codecs...

originally the only way i thought it could be fix was to repair the codecs.

The VLC player is great in the fact that it does not use these codecs, however... I would still love to hear of any way to repair the codecs?

Ive tried having a little look in other forums but there are no clear answers i could see.

Is it possible to fix them?

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    ... (or you're viewing videos that only have a black screen for the video... )
    ahahaha, im so glad thats not the case :P

its definitely those 2 codecs tho..

also, i am not a fan of installing certain things into my computer and the idea of installing a full "codec pack" sounds daunting as i have got into a few computer issues to do with installed codes/files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd tend to doubt those two codecs alone would cause all the problems you're having. If the videos you're using doesn't even use those codecs, technically, the system shouldn't even touch them, either.

I don't recommend installing a codec pack, myself.

If you're confident you know what you're doing, or in tweaking/modifying your system, you might see if the Codec Tweak Tool detects/helps fix anything.
    Quote Quote  
  12. yeah cheers

i dont think im going to try installing any codecs or alike

i'll just see how it goes for a while

Thanks for all your help
    Quote Quote