VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My DVD drive on my laptop is set to Region 2 but i use VLC player to play any region 1 dvds that i have but i have a few that have a scrambled playback. The audio is choppy and the video is scrambled with green boxes.

The only way i can play them is in Power DVD in another laptop (which doesn't belong to me). Is there a powerdvd codec or something i can use in VLC?

Does anyone have a fix for this in Vista?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    VLC had known issues with Vista, but as I am not a Vista user and probably never will be, I did not keep on that. You can do the research yourself. I think the official VLC website has some info on it.

Letting us know the names of a few of these problem DVDs might have been useful. Some companies like Sony and Disney use a particular form of copy protection that is not supported by the DVD standard and I suppose that might be your problem.

It might be an interesting experiment to use DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip one of these DVDs to your hard drive and then see if VLC can play it from the hard drive without issues. DVDFab HD Decrypter can defeat the copy protection mechanisms I talked about earlier. If it plays OK ripped, I'd tend to blame the copy protection on the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply

They're Fox dvds and the dvdfab program worked

Is there any way to remove the encryption get around it i don't want to have to decrypt all my dvds
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes. By anydvd. It decrypts the dvd on the fly.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote