VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    First of all sorry for the lengthy post.

I have a HD 720p/1080i 42" plasma TV but no Blu-ray player yet. I normally stream my movies (avi files) to my xbox 360 from my PC using Tversity and play them on my TV, which is fine for standard definition, as it transcodes on the fly.

Im now wanting to stream HD movies but to do this and transcode on the fly would require a really powerful PC and I dont think my PC fits the bill - Dual Xeon CPU's (2 physical CPU's not cores) @ 2.4Ghz each 800FSB | 3GB DDR.

Im told if i transcode the video file first so this is not required it will stream fine. Thats where I hit a wall as im not sure what software or formats to use. I have a MKV file for example which is 5GB and is in 1080 already. I was advised to initially convert to DIVX (but retain the HD detail which i'm not sure how to do - sorry for the terminology). Then convert to WMV (WM9) using Windows media player, then make it into an AVI using the H.264 container file using handbrake.

Now i have a rough idea what that means and a slight understanding but im not confident ill not mess it up... So to avoid endless hours of conversions to end up with an out of sync mess, im wondering if anyone knows of any other ways or ideas on how to do this right?

Thank you in advance, and for reading the "war and peace" post. Any advice / recommendations would be gratefully received
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would first try first gotsent and convert the mkv to mp4 and it may be possible to stream directly without any conversion. I think gotsent also can reconvert if it would be necessary .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the information, Ill give it a try. I noticed it says it will create a Xbox 360 compatible MP4 file, Do you know if Tversity will realise it doesn't need to transcode it to WMV on the fly ? if not ill give it a go. Thanks again
    Quote Quote