VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yo,

I am trying to render my first video and it's taking 11+ hours. I don't understand. It's only 2 minutes long. I only have one HDD, 2 GB ram, 500 GB HDD. Someone help please? I'm not quite sure what to do. I'm using Vegas 9.0 on XP.

I'd be more then happy to supply with more information if need be for assistance.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    More details needed. From what to what, what was edited, etc

You just called a mechanic and said "my car's broke". Well, okay...
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should also fill in your system details in your profile so we can see at a glance what your PC really is.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Updated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, but you still haven't given us the information asked for. Do you want help or not? Don't make us drag it out of you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok well like I said, I used Sony Vegas 9.0 with fraps. I edited a bunch of Counter Strike Source videos and made a movie out of it with 2 songs. Comes out to be just under 2 minutes. Currently it's saved as a Vegas Pro Project File (.veg) and I'm trying to render it to a .avi

Anything I miss?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Avi" is unfortunately nearly meaningless. Let us know *details*. Codec type, frame rate, frame size ("resolution"), audio codec, bitrate, etc. That's what we mean by details. You keep giving us generalities. Like lordsmurf said, you basically said "My car is broke." We ask for more info, and you say "Well, it's a Toyota." We ask for still more, and you say "I was driving it down the Interstate." Get the picture? You are making us drag information from you one piece at a time, which is painfully inefficient.

Don't just tell us what software you are using. Tell us about the video itself. What is the source (codec type, etc. -- details!), and what are you trying to produce (codec type, etc. -- details!). If you keep stubbornly insisting on withholding details, there's little that we can do except guess randomly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well first of all I wasn't stubbornly insisting on withholding details. I don't quite understand all the details that fall under rendering. So without specifics I am unsure on what to post. Get the picture?

On that note I am just going to post everything I see.

Anyway tried rendering as a Video For Windows (.avi).
    Template :Was trying HD 1080-60i YUV but there is also
    =NTSC DV
    NTSC DV Widescreen
    NTSC DV 24p (intersting 2-3 pulldown)
    NTSC DV Widescreen 24p (intersting 2-3 pulldown)
    NTSC DV 24p (intersting 2-3-3-2 pulldown)
    NTSC DV 24p (2-3-3-2 pulldown)
    PAL DV and Widescreen
    NTSC SD YUV
    PAL SD YUV
    HD 1080-60i YUV
    HD 1080-50i YUV
    HD 1080-24i YUV

Frame Size I have it at HDV 720 (1,280x720)
    Frame Rate: 29.970 (NTSC)
    Video Format: DivX 6.8.5 Codec (4 Logical CPUs)
    Video rendering quality is at Best

qMobile Profile
    Encoding prests: Speed/quality: 3
    Rate control Mode: 1-pass
    Bitrate: 200

Codec Performance encoding mode: default

Video Resolution
    Format in: NTSC 4:3
    Format out: Square Pixels

Trying to produce a clean video. Clear and not totally fuzzy.

If I left something out that's needed let me know.

Thanks for the help in advance and sorry for not getting this info to you sooner.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by evilzma
    Well first of all I wasn't stubbornly insisting on withholding details. I don't quite understand all the details that fall under rendering. So without specifics I am unsure on what to post. Get the picture?
    Which is why you should err on the side of more information, especially after having been asked for it. A couple of times. Get the picture? You're the one asking for help, after all.

The data you've finally provided reveals the problem (could've gotten there in one go). You're trying to produce a video with 1280x720 resolution, but you've chosen a 200kb/s bitrate. Understand that you can have EITHER high quality OR low bitrate (small filesize), not both. That's why your superfast computer is taking forever. That's what computers do when asked to perform the impossible.

Either choose a reasonable frame size, or increase the bitrate (you're currently at least 10x too low). Then you'll see some output.

If you would say something specific about what you are trying to produce (don't just say "good looking vid" or we'll have to e-slap you), we can offer specific recommendations. Tell us, for example, what you want to view it on (don't just say "a monitor"; tell us the dimensions, both diagonal measure and resolution), or what, if any, filesize constraints you have, etc.

Again, the more specific you are, the more specific we can be. Get the picture?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like I said, you ask for specifics and I will give specifics. I can tell you whats wrong to the best of my ability but I need to know what info I need to provide inorder to get assistance hence the reason I stated
    I'd be more then happy to supply with more information if need be for assistance. Thanks
    Without I don't know what you are talking about because I don't understand rendering. Maybe if you were paying attention to what you quoted you would understand that. Also I came to this forum to get help. Not to sit here and listen to some idiot be an ass on the forum. Get the picture?

Now you are telling me my breaks are bad and to go pick out a pair for my car. What kind of breaks fit my car? What specific frame rate and bitrate should I use inorder to make it come out clear?

I said this before but I will say it again. I am new to video editing so all this is not familiar. "tell us the dimensions, both diagonal measure and resolution), or what, if any, filesize constraints you have, etc. " please explain.

Again, the more specific you are, the more specific I can be. Get the picture?
    Quote Quote  
  11. If your Core 2 Quad is taking 11 hours to render two minutes of 1280x720 video with Divx you have much worse problems than too low a bitrate. You should be able to render that in a few minutes. My guess is Vegas is having some kind of problem reading your source files.

Regarding bitrate: unless you need files of a specific size, forget about bitrate. Use Divx in single pass quality based mode. Pick a quality you like (try Target Quantizer = 3 for a reasonable compromise between file size and quality) and encode in a single pass.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright Jagabo thanks. Going to give that a try. Also I wasnt paying attention to the music and I didn't cut it. It made the video 6 minutes. My bad on that call.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I would work with a simple project until you figure out what's taking so long. Add one short video to the time line, set up the Divx parameters, encode. A one minute, 30 fps, 1280x720 video on your system shouldn't take more than a minute or two to encode with Divx. One thing to check -- in the main Divx config dialog be sure you don't have Home Theater selected under Certification Profile. Home Theater doesn't allow for frame sizes over 720x576. Use 720HD or Unconstrained.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alrighty
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And, again, on what sort of device will you view the result? A large-screen display, or a mobile device? The answer matters.

And jagabo is quite right -- even with parameters chosen wrong, 11 hours is a sign of something else (although it could still be a software "feature"). Are you able to play the source files successfully, or does there seem to be some odd behavior during playback, such as stutters, etc.?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And as soon as humanly possible, you should get another HDD.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have two HDD, but ones an old one and not in my PC. You're saying I need two?

And I plan on viewing this on a large screen display? My PC.

Also yes I am having some issues with the play back. When I go to play the video sometimes the clips come up as red and wont play or black and you can't see it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, in the world of video editing, it's best to have more than just the system drive.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok well like I said, I used Sony Vegas 9.0 with fraps. I edited a bunch of Counter Strike Source videos and made a movie out of it with 2 songs. Comes out to be just under 2 minutes. Currently it's saved as a Vegas Pro Project File (.veg) and I'm trying to render it to a .avi

Anything I miss?
    When you captured the video What codec did you use to capture it with ? and then we can go from there.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are having difficulty playing the source files, conversion is unlikely to improve the situation. The symptoms you describe are consistent with damaged or otherwise noncompliant files. Before you can do anything, you'll have to fix that problem. Once you do, your PC will zip through the process at warp speed.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by evilzma
    You're saying I need two?
    If you were going from a lightly compressed input video to a lightly compressed output video you can get significant improvements in rendering speed by putting the input on one drive and the output on another. Since you're making highly compressed Divx videos the difference in rendering speed will be minimal.

And I plan on viewing this on a large screen display? My PC.
    Then you probably don't care about the exact file size. So you should be happy using constant quality encoding.

Also yes I am having some issues with the play back. When I go to play the video sometimes the clips come up as red and wont play or black and you can't see it.
    Your glacially slow rendering times are probably related to this. What video compression codec did you use while capturing?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by jagabo
    What video compression codec did you use while capturing?
    He said fraps earlier.

But something is seriously wrong. You aren't doing other stuff like playing games or other CPU intensive stuff while rendering are you?

It might be a bug with Vegas 9 pro , because fraps works fine with Vegas 8 Pro. Try uninstalling/reinstalling fraps and/or vegas

Do some hardware stability tests like prime95/occt/linx and memtest86+, and check your temps. If you overheat, often the bios settings have a throttling setting enabled
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    If you are having difficulty playing the source files, conversion is unlikely to improve the situation. The symptoms you describe are consistent with damaged or otherwise noncompliant files. Before you can do anything, you'll have to fix that problem. Once you do, your PC will zip through the process at warp speed.
    So you are saying if I fix those then the project will render faster? They don't always appear black and red. Only sometimes.

Wolfen and Jagabo: I am using Fraps.

Poison: No, I have all my applications closed and I completely leave my computer alone, but if I reinstall Fraps and Vegas then all my work is lost... Unless someone has a solution to that? Last but not least no I'm not over heating. I have multiple tests that I run regularly to keep my temperature under control and on top of that I have awesome ventilation and air flow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Framerate conversion, deinterlace, heavy filtering, large input file, large output file of different size --- these things can quickly add up, and yes, make a 2-minute video want 11 hours. The software may, for whatever reason, only be using a single core on a slow quad-core CPU (slow due to OS settings).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Framerate conversion, deinterlace, heavy filtering, large input file, large output file of different size --- these things can quickly add up, and yes, make a 2-minute video want 11 hours. The software may, for whatever reason, only be using a single core on a slow quad-core CPU (slow due to OS settings).
    By a settings being slow do I fix that by over clocking? And I am unsure of what you mean by deinterlace,heavy filtering, large input file, large output file.
    Quote Quote  
  26. What's your CPU usage (as reported by Task Manager) when encoding? When idle?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CPU usage when rendering jumps around between 1-6% and sometimes will spike to like 15% or 12% is what I saw
    Quote Quote  
  28. cpu usage while encoding with vegas should be near 100% on all 4 cores.

how big is the source file? if you could put it on a filesharing site we could see how long it takes for others to encode.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM

By a settings being slow do I fix that by over clocking? And I am unsure of what you mean by deinterlace,heavy filtering, large input file, large output file.
    There are many operations you could optionally perform in addition to straight rendering. Deinterlace is a common task, which converts interlaced video from broadcast sources (incl. DVDs) into progressive output. Filtering can include things like edge enhancement, blurring, de-ring, etc. etc. Hopefully "large input file" and "large output file" are self-explanatory.

As lordsmurf so correctly observes, each additional task puts more load on the CPU. If you have many of these things going on, a huge slowdown can result.

Now from your later post, you are not seeing much CPU utilization, so that's another oddity. Try rendering only a short clip that has no problems with playback and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so last night I tried the render again. I left it at 12 and came back at 10 this morning and it had 0% and the time just kept going up. I uploaded it like asked. Here is the link http://files.filefront.com/Viddveg/;13892772;/fileinfo.html

Edit : I also shrinked it down to a little under 2 minutes.
    Quote Quote