VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Today I did a fresh Windows install and discovered Nero 6 updates downloads are no longer available. They want you to pay $13 for the updates on a CD, and I only paid $5 for my original Nero 6 on CD. Does anybody know if there's an archive of the latest Nero 6 update anywhere? I don't want to get Nero 7, 8 or 9 because I think they are too bloated. Nero 6 is less than 40MB while Nero 7 approaches 200MB and latest Nero 9 approaches 400MB which isn't much less than WinXP!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does this look like what you need?

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/nero6.html

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As that update is to 6.6 and I'm currently running 6.3, it looked like it was just what I needed too. But when you try to download it, you are asked for a username and password for Nero's site in Germany.......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wonder if the versions posted at http://www.oldversion.com/Nero.html would work.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bevills1 and Richard_G, you have PMs!

EDIT: @Ai Haibara, nice find!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The http://www.oldversion.com/Nero.html is for Nero 7 update. However, I have now found latest Nero 6.6.1.15c version at http://www.filehippo.com/download_nero_burning_rom/2989/.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    Look again, down the page:

Download Nero Older Versions
    Nero Burning ROM 3.0.2.0 (1.8 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 3.0.2.9 (3.1 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 3.0.3.5 (3.1 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 3.0.7.0 (3.3 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 4.0.8.3 (4.0 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 5.0.0.3 (4.8 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 5.5.7.8 (11.1 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 5.5.8.0 (11.1 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 5.5.9.0 (11.9 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 5.5.9.9 (12.1 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 5.5.9.14 (12.4 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 5.5.9.17 (12.7 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 5.5.10.20 (12.7 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 5.5.10.42 (13.0 MB)
    Nero Burning ROM 5.5.10.56 (18.7 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.0.0.23 (21.4 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.0.0.9 (20.7 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.3.0.0 (22.9 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.3.0.2 (22.9 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.3.0.3 (22.9 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.3.1.17 (27.5 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.3.1.20 (28.4 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.3.1.25 (28.9 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.1 (28.7 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.14 (32.3 MB)
    Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.16 (33 MB)
    Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.18 (33 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.3 (29.3 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.5 (29.6 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.6 (29.6 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.8 (30.9 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.12 (32.8 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.13 (33.0 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.1.4 (34 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 7.0.8.2 (105 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 7.2.3.2 (267 MB)
    Nero Ultra Edition 7.5.1.1 (189 MB)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot to say the latest Nero 6 update at the second link is 6.6.1.4 version which is older than the latest 6.6.1.15c version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I'm still using 6.6.1.4 myself...guess I'll update as well.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    The http://www.oldversion.com/Nero.html is for Nero 7 update. However, I have now found latest Nero 6.6.1.15c version at http://www.filehippo.com/download_nero_burning_rom/2989/.
    Does anyone know what sort of limitations may have been placed on this "commercial trial" version ? I probably saved some Nero 6x updates while they were still available from Nero, but don't recall if I ever installed them. (The old "If it Ain't Broke" thing.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    I think I'm still using 6.6.1.4 myself...guess I'll update as well.
    If it ain't broke, why would you fix it?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47
    Does anyone know what sort of limitations may have been placed on this "commercial trial" version ? I probably saved some Nero 6x updates while they were still available from Nero, but don't recall if I ever installed them. (The old "If it Ain't Broke" thing.)
    If you've got an existing and working version (full or OEM) installed, the installers should simply update the program (unless you're trying to go up or down major version numbers in the process). Otherwise, it'll install the trial - and I don't remember what the limitations were (haven't looked at them since v5, anyway ).

But, yeah, I'll second what lordsmurf said - if it's working, do you really need to update? But it probably wouldn't hurt to keep a copy of the updater stored away, just to be safe.

Sort of a question to all, as I'm just curious - if I was to use, say, v5, would it recognize more recent drives (for ordinary data disc burning, not any features you might find in the newer versions of Nero like Lightscribe, or whatever), or would I end up having to use the newer versions, anyway?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't expect drive recognition to be an issue (for CD and DVD support). It could possibly be an issue for Blu-ray support. Mostly it would just be what features are available.

And to be honest. I recall downloading the latest available updates awhile back after v7 came out, and just never went back to check on any further updates. I don't need to update as it does everything I need it to do. So in that sense, you guys are right, don't fix what ain't broken.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are probably fixes in the most recent updates that fixes issues that may not affect most Nero uses, but I think it's a good idea to do the updates just in case. Not doing software updates is like saying "Why do Windows updates if the PC is working without problems?" Do you have the latest firmware for you DVD burner? Most people probably do. If the updates cause problems, simply save your oder version or download it from 1 of the suggested sites for the various firmware versions if you don't have it saved. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as the old saying goes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have seen the free Nero 9 after rebate at the fry’s several times, why not get the latest version?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As stated in my original post Nero 9 is close to 400MB which is a little over 10 times the size of Nero 6. IMO later Nero versions are just too bloated which is why I have avoided them. The latest Nero 6 update I found solves my problem quite nicely.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coody
    Have seen the free Nero 9 after rebate at the fry’s several times, why not get the latest version?
    Most of the reviews and user comments I've seen have been that v. 7 on became increasingly buggy bloatware. If you regularly use NeroVision or one of the other modules, I can't really comment, but I'm still waiting to hear what "Must Have" features (in Nero Burning Rom proper) I might be missing out on, that aren't available to me in v. 6x ?

When it comes to critical burning jobs though, I'm much more likely to use ImgBurn these days, so it's all kinda moot.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  18. y use nero in the first place it is rubbish
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dessieclive
    y use nero in the first place it is rubbish
    Oh really?

I started with Nero 5. I've been using Nero 6 for almost 6 years now. I have burned over 1000 CDs and DVDs. Many of those were CD and vinyl premasters. Burning Rom never failed me once.

Maybe the later versions are bad. I don't care. This works for me.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A few years ago ... I bought Nero 7 ... and I was using Nero 6 and its updates .... Nero 7 for me works fine ... as for bloated ... ah ... hmmm ... maybe ... but Nero 8 and 9 are a lot worse.

As for burning programs ... I also use

CyberLink Power2Go 6
    Imgburn
    DVD Rebuilder PRO
    CloneDVD2
    DVD Shrink 3.2
    Nero Burning ROM 8 Lite ... with Nero Express
    ConvertXtoDVD 3
    CyberLink PowerDVD Copy v1.0.0625 Final

Only one in that list that I dont use regularly ... DVD Shrink
    Actually ... Nero 7 ... is not installed ... But Nero Express 8 Lite ... is installed ... I use it regularly to burn avi Divx videos on DVDs to watch on my Philipps DVD/Divx player in my bedroom ... My wife and I have been doing Buffy the Vampire Slayer ... we recently obtained all 7 Seasons ... she got hooked when watching ... Angel on Directv ... she kept hearing about Buffy on Angel ... so I introduced her to ... Buffy the Vampire Slayer ... LOL
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used Nero 6 ever since I began burning DVDs with my first Pioneer DVR-107D burner around 5 to 6 years ago and never had a problem with Nero. Nero is also much easier to use and more versatile than ImgBurn IMO, and I'll keep using Nero 6 as long as it works well.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There was a nice "working" High Definition DIVX to Standard Definition MPEG converter incorporated as part of Nero 8. Nero 6 didn't have this feature and I believe a version of this converter was in Nero 7 but was flawed.

creakndale
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using v6.0.0.6 for many years with no problems, having burned over 200 DVD's and 100 CD's. Just for fun, I updated to v6.6.1.4 to see what difference there was. One thing I'm wondering about -- there is no AUDIO_TS folder. I believe the older versions had this folder burned along with the VIDEO_TS folder for better compatibility with older DVD players, so does this mean that newer DVD players definitely don't need the AUDIO_TS folder?
    Quote Quote