VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there,
    I am a newbie to the forum here, I have read through a handful of post here but most of the information I was reading was from a few years ago. I just picked up a JVC DR-MV1S. I plugged it in and it is flashing LOADING on the screen. I read in a a few post about bad resistors or something...and in one post it stated that JVC was fixing this problem for free but this was in a post from 04 or 05. I guess I don't know which way to go right now. I would like to get this thing to work. If you feel the urge to tell me to search through the forum because this has been addressed in the past I would ask that you would refrain from that and attach some links to specific threads. Thank you in advance for any help offered.
    Quote Quote  
  2. usually if you buy something and it does not work you take it back.

What did you pay?

The free fix may now be out of date.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic318520.html?highlight=jvc%20loading

is what I got when I used the search option on this forum.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought it from an older gentleman who had used it to transfer about 30 videos to DVD.. It was purchased new in November of 2004. I paid $40.00 for the unit...Physically the unit looks in near mint condition.
    Quote Quote  
  4. JVC no longer provides the free fix, in fact JVC no longer fixes anything worth a damn (their consumer products are now made by LG). The DRMV1S is a very nice unit, I own the model that came out a year later (DRMV5S), but when they start breaking down they are now essentially "fix it yourself" projects. If you know someone who would enjoy tinkering with it, point them to the threads here and let them take a shot at repairing it. Otherwise, return it or resell: it would cost more than you paid for it just to ship it to JVC factory service, who will charge at least $50 to look at it and $100 to fix it, if they even agree. DVD recorders are not considered "repairable" by their mfrs anymore, it isn't just a JVC problem: decent service is now nonexistent for anything but Panasonics, and even with them you need to go thru a Masonic ritual just to gain access to their one good "secret" repair center.

The pre-2006 model JVCs have unique image qualities highly prized by some users, for them it is well worth the trouble and/or expense to keep them going. But someone who just wants a recorder for occasional use and timeshifting would be better off buying something new. The current JVCs made by LG arent as nice as the DRMV1S, but for $200 you'll at least get an ATSC tuner and a one year warranty. You could easily spend as much repairing the DRMV1S only to have it fail on you again a few months down the line. Worth the risk if you appreciate and need its unique properties, but not for average casual consumer use.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not one just to pay $40.00 for something and then just throw it out. If anyone has any pictures or prints of what needs replaced to make the Loading issue go away I am up for a try at it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2010 update -- Fixing the JVC DVD Recorder "LOADING" Issue / JVC Will Not Recognize Blank DVDs
    I've compiled a new thread on this topic at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/showthread.php/fixing-jvc-dvd-2008.html -- I've been trying to organized all available JVC information better for those who need it!

You don't need JVC, any competent person can fix this, if they are good with circuit boards and a soldering iron. These people are all over, in schools, colleges and mom-and-pop video/game/computer stores.

I'll e-mail you some info -- if you PM me an e-mail address. I'm too busy to write posts, but I can attach some stuff that you might find helpful.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 30th Jan 2010 at 18:08. Reason: 2010 update info
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Just a quick note about the JVC DR-MV5S. When the JVC DR-MV1S came out I took the test unit home for a few months and loved it. I never had a problem with it. Once the refurbished models were available I bought 2 of them as I had over 1,000 movie and over 1,000 wrestling tapes I wanted to transfer to DVD. Both of them had the "Loading" problem so I sent them to our factory service centers for repair. Both of them had to go back about 4 or 5 times, because their was no fix for the problem yet, before my manager agreed to replace them with the DR-MV5S, which were just coming out.

Both of the replacement models failed on the day I got them. So my manager ordered 2 more for me. I swear I am not making this up when I say the same thing happened with the 2 new models. I finally got 2 that worked but the quality of the recording wasn't as good as on the DR-MV1S and the one tuner was a big step down from being able to record 2 different channels at the same time.

As far as the DR-MV1S goes I still have 2 in my house. One records fine but the other still has the "Loading" problem even though I replaced almost every part in it with brand new parts. It's weird because while I had it at the JVC factory testing it their was no problem but the first day I took it home to use I couldn't even record 1 disc before "Loading" came up even though I had been recording on it every work day for about a month at the factory. Now I just use it for the 2 tuners so my wife can flip back and forth between 2 programs.

Bob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's because a power-related "loading" problem, left too long, is known to damage other parts. It's really not that common, however.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So after a week and a half of waiting for a responce via e-mail from JVC I recieved the following message from them.

I understand that your unit is exhibiting a “loading” error. We apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced due to the unit. Have you tried the following procedure? • Reset the unit by holding the power and stop buttons at the same time. • The unit will power off and start loading again. • The “loading” message should only come on when the unit is starting up, and should go away in less than a minute. If the above procedure does not work, you will need to send your unit to our factory service center for evaluation. If the problem can be fixed by an upgrade, then the Factory will perform the upgrade and return it to you free of charge. Shipping cost to the factory are not covered; however if your unit qualifies for the upgrade JVC will cover the evaluation fee, repair cost, and return shipping. However, if the unit needs other parts not related to the upgrade, you will receive a repair estimate. Please pack you unit carefully and include a note describing the problem and send it in to our Factory Service Center. Below is the information on shipping the unit in for evaluation/repair. JVC Service and Engineering5665 Corporate AveCypress, CA 90630

So...is the fix for the loading error considered an upgrade? or a chargable repair? Anyone want to take a guess?
    Quote Quote  
  11. What they refer to as the "upgrade" is the same old warranty repair they made to the original units- the power supply issue. But there is no way of knowing for sure thats the problem until they look at it: the infuriating "loading" display is a catchall alert for ANYTHING that might be wrong with the unit (you could have another circuit shorted somewhere, the burner could be worn out or just broken, anything). Plus of course you're relying on JVC to take back a years-old unit they could care less about, because they don't actually sell anything they make themselves anymore, and honestly evaluate if it merits free repair. Don't hold your breath. Everything said earlier in the various loading threads still applies: if you really, truly need the exclusive "look" of the video filtering this vintage machine provides, then its cost-no-object worthy of repairing. Or, replace it completely with the somewhat more reliable followup model DRMV5, easily found on eBay for $50 (uses the same remote as the DRMV1S).

It doesn't seem as if you give a rats ass one way or the other about its arguably "superior" video qualities, so why not just chalk it up to a learning experience as to "why DVD recorders failed as a consumer product in the USA". I understand your determination to "not just chuck $40", but in a cost-benefits analysis that really is the cheapest option. You gambled on a used unit of unknown condition, and you lost. The wisest choice is to accept that fact and move on- if you don't have the skills to fix it yourself or know someone who can do it for you, the damn thing is not worth the money or the headaches of a repair. Even when in perfect condition, its clumsy to operate and not ideal for casual users. Most of us who have a specific need for JVCs barely tolerate their quirks, they are far from beloved, but they're a necessary evil for certain types of uncommon VHS tape transfer. If you do not have that specific need, write it off. List it on eBay as a "parts unit" for $19.95 and see if you get any takers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I disagree. JVC is known for doing a great job at free fixes on these. It's an easy fix for them, maybe $1 in parts, 10-15 minutes in labor.

I need to start practicing with soldering pens, and buy a $10 box of caps -- I could charge $30 for repairs!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't seem as if you give a rats ass one way or the other about its arguably "superior" video qualities, so why not just chalk it up to a learning experience as to "why DVD recorders failed as a consumer product in the USA". -- orsetto

Sorry, I guess when I posted my concerns about the "LOADING ISSUE" I didn't know it was a pre-requisite to state if I liked the quality or not. However, since you brought it up I left the unit plugged in for a while and I was able to use it with a few video and the quality is better than others that I have seen.

I need to start practicing with soldering pens, and buy a $10 box of caps -- I could charge $30 for repairs!
    -- Lordsmurf
    I know what you’re saying… Back when I was in school I worked on electronics quite a bit but the most soldering I do now is audio cable or electrical for model airplanes.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by durwoodghib
    Sorry, I guess when I posted my concerns about the "LOADING ISSUE" I didn't know it was a pre-requisite to state if I liked the quality or not.
    When it comes to the very first run of JVCs, yeah, you kinda do. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest anything nasty or personal, its just an objective fact: the early JVCs, if broken, are not exactly a picnic or cheap to repair unless you can DIY. Since its going to cost $30-60 just for shipping to JVC repair, the question of whether you personally perceive a dramatically better recording quality using the old JVCs is indeed relevant. If you don't think its a distinctly better recorder, then it isn't worth the hassle: there are far more convenient and reliable second hand recorders out there. While its true the JVC repair costs them a dollar to do, as LordSmurf says, again I would add you still have to pay shipping, which is not free, and there is no guarantee that repair is the one you need. Further, there is no guarantee with a JVC that ANY repair will stick, or that even a "perfectly functioning" JVC will suit you because the "unplug it from the wall for a day to get rid of the LOADING message" aggravation still remains on many, many otherwise properly functioning JVCs. Its inherent to the design, and its a freaking pain in the ass. Over the last few years, I've gone thru well over a dozen DRM100s, DRMV1s, and DRMV5s in a misguided attempt to create a large "bank" of recorders to get thru my huge VHS dubbing project faster. Half of these JVCs simply died with the permanent LOADING nonsense, the other half require unplugging and futzing every couple of weeks and are thus completely unreliable for timer recording (the "unplug me please, I'm tired" bullsh*t inevitably happens in the middle of a timer recording). Out of all those JVCs, I kept the one DRM100 and two DRMV5s that were least prone to needing LOADING resets, and sold off the rest. I only use them for controlled, repeatable recording tasks and only when I really must have their noise filtering or superior very-long-play recording qualities.

I maintain my advice, if you need those unique vintage JVC qualities, fine, its worth putting up with the quirks and possible repair costs. But if you don't need those qualities or don't think its that big a deal, theres no point in being held hostage by these flakey boxes. LordSmurf is a pro DVD transfer technician, he makes his living doing this, for him the vintage JVCs are often a vital tool when nothing else will do. On a smaller scale, I occasionally have similar needs. There are first-hand reports here from people with my experience, from an actual ex-JVC factory technician, ordinary users, and people closer to LordSmurf's situation. All of these reports are equally valid, you just need to apply them to your own requirements in a DVD recorder, and of course your budget.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the record: I just sent our chrurch's ailing DR-MV1S to JVC for the infamous "loading" problem. They advised to do so promptly, as the free repair program for this issue is being discontinued as of the end of 2009. If you are reading this after that date (and you probably are!), I would NOT suggest sending it in and paying their standard time & material rate. However, if you went to make some copies of Christmas 2009 activities and ran across this posting while the display was flashing "Loading...", ACT NOW!
    Quote Quote  
  16. My jvc crapped the bed about 2 months ago. This was the second time that I got the "loading" problem. Jvc fixed it and it worked for another year until 2 months ago. I am contemplating sending it back to them
    Quote Quote  
  17. "For the record: I just sent our chrurch's ailing DR-MV1S to JVC for the infamous "loading" problem. They advised to do so promptly, as the free repair program for this issue is being discontinued as of the end of 2009."

JVC told me they were discontinuing the free repair program at the end of 2007 when they laid me off and I told them it would never work since they publicly acknowledged that the unit had a manufacturing flaw.

Bob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They'll be fixing it for free for pretty much forever, because many states have laws regarding this sort of thing. It can be complicated too, so the typical solution (the easy one) is to just fix anybody that has the problem. After 4-5 years now, I would imagine they don't get many requests -- most people just throw them away and move on. (Stupid move, but it's what they do. )
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    they told me this ended in december at the JVC Service center in California
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Ok. I searched read and searched some more. I called around town with no luck. My DR-MV1S has the dreaded "Loading " error. I Tried resetting the unit with hard power down (UNPLUG LOL), Then with pressing PWR and STOP buttons for 3-5 seconds. with no luck. I took the case off and FINALLY got the DVD to give up my DVD RW Disk by pressing the eject button that is hidden by the front panel.

I LIKE this unit. Dual Tuners have allowed me to record 2 shows while watching a third through the cable box. I would like to fix or get this unit fixed. I do not have schematics.

JVC NOW claims no knowledge of a free repair program since it ended in Dec 2009... Any Help out there? any Ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can repair it yourself.
    Start reading here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/showthread.php/fixing-jvc-dvd-2008.html

It can be done. I've had it done for me by a guy at a local college.
    My issue was leaking capacitors.
    I took it apart, founds the errors, got the replacement parts. Then he did the soldering for me.

You don't need JVC.
    Quote Quote