VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone help please.
    I have an older (about 3 yrs) Analog hdtv lcd tv.
    The tv hd input is via 15 pin d-sub. The tv came with a d-sub to component cable (3 rgb and 2 audio).
    The humax hdr has scarts, hdmi,(no use to me) and composite.
    I know I cant display Hd transmissions but if i bought a scart to component adaptor with3 connectors and used the provided cable to connect to the tv d-sub
    a, will it work and
    b, should I get a better picture than just going scart to scart.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SCART with RGB video out is not bad. Actually, it is a far better source to let your TV to upscale to 720p. We are PAL, we have 576i lines, we are not NTSC with 480i lines!

Component has a meaning only if the receiver have it. It's a nice alternative to HDMI, when you upscale SD channels. Converting RGB to Component, has no meaning. You gain nothing.

Anyway, your TV has an d-sub. I think that there are some HDMI to d-Sub adaptors for video out there. I may be wrong though.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure the Humax only has composite? I've got a Humax Foxsat Freesat receiver, the same as yours but without the inbuilt recorder, and that has 2 scart, HDMI, Composite and switchable Component (select between YPbPr or RGB) in addition to stereo audio and SPDIF digital audio. I wouldn't have expected them to have removed the Component outputs when they bunged a hard drive in it.

If, for some unknown reason they have, they have only removed the sockets. Scart will give RGB out anyway so your suggestion of a scart to RBG adapter would work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    Are you sure the Humax only has composite? I've got a Humax Foxsat Freesat receiver, the same as yours but without the inbuilt recorder, and that has 2 scart, HDMI, Composite and switchable Component (select between YPbPr or RGB) in addition to stereo audio and SPDIF digital audio. I wouldn't have expected them to have removed the Component outputs when they bunged a hard drive in it.

If, for some unknown reason they have, they have only removed the sockets. Scart will give RGB out anyway so your suggestion of a scart to RBG adapter would work.

Definitely no component option. Thing is, will I get a better picture by going through the d-sub than scart to scart. Did not realise when I bought the Humax that my "HD Ready" tv was analog so I am now trying to see if I can get any picture quality improvement.
    Alan
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SatStorm
    SCART with RGB video out is not bad. Actually, it is a far better source to let your TV to upscale to 720p. We are PAL, we have 576i lines, we are not NTSC with 480i lines!

Component has a meaning only if the receiver have it. It's a nice alternative to HDMI, when you upscale SD channels. Converting RGB to Component, has no meaning. You gain nothing.

Anyway, your TV has an d-sub. I think that there are some HDMI to d-Sub adaptors for video out there. I may be wrong though.
    Are you saying the scart adaptor to rgb would be a better option.
    Sorry, but I`m just trying to get my head around this
    Alternatively, there is something like this.

http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=122440#moreinfo
    Would this help?
    I did see a lead on Ebay with a HDMI on one end d-sub on the other, but dont see how that could work as one is digital and the other analog.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-6ft-HDMI-Male-to-VGA-HD-15-Male-1080p-Cable-NEW_W0QQitemZ180365337535QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Com puting_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item29fe9ca3bf&_tr ksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1| 72%3A2109|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Alan
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCART-to-Component-RGB-Video-Lead-Cable-1-5m-3x-Phono_W0QQitemZ260423275969QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C omputing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3ca26fd5c1&_ trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A 1|72%3A2108|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50 would do nicely to connect from SCART set to output RBG to your D Sub connector. Alternatively simply use SCART to SCART with the output set to RBG. I suspect the picture quality would be the same as you are sending RGB signals, it just depends id your TV is doing anything clever when using the D Sub connector.

Make sure you set the SCART socket to output RGB and not Composite (listed as CVBS in the Humax menu) or S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCART-to-Component-RGB-Video-Lead-Cable-1-5m-3x-Phono_W0QQitemZ260423275969QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C omputing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3ca26fd5c1&_ trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A 1|72%3A2108|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50 would do nicely to connect from SCART set to output RBG to your D Sub connector. Alternatively simply use SCART to SCART with the output set to RBG. I suspect the picture quality would be the same as you are sending RGB signals, it just depends id your TV is doing anything clever when using the D Sub connector.

Make sure you set the SCART socket to output RGB and not Composite (listed as CVBS in the Humax menu) or S-Video.
    I checked the scart output and it is on RGB. My D-Sub is a 15 pin VGA type so the 3 phonos wont fit . The point you make re tv input is on the same lines of thinking as my own. Trouble is the tv manufacturer has gone bust so cant make enquires with them.
    As the tv is all analog, I assumed that the d-sub input for hd must deal differently with the signal otherwise why have the input, although you can connect a pc as well. The tv remote has a button you can press twice, once for component connection and again for pc.
    The tv video input Via d-sub is Y Pb Pr 720p/1080i. Presumably you cant reach these resolutions through scarts etc.
    Alan
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by keats
    The tv video input Via d-sub is Y Pb Pr 720p/1080i. Presumably you cant reach these resolutions through scarts etc.
    Alan
    No you cant. SCART can give composite, S-Video and RGB but not YPbPr. In your first post you mentioned that the D-Sub gives you 3 RGB and 2 audio but I assume you meant YPbPr and not RGB. SCART to SCART looks to be your only option (or replace the Humax with something that has component out!).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by keats
    Alan
    No you cant. SCART can give composite, S-Video and RGB but not YPbPr. In your first post you mentioned that the D-Sub gives you 3 RGB and 2 audio but I assume you meant YPbPr and not RGB. SCART to SCART looks to be your only option (or replace the Humax with something that has component out!).
    Thanks Richard
    Sorry I am confusing the situation What I should have said is that the cable supplied with the tv had a 15 pin d sub one end (TV) annd 5 phonos at the other. 3 were red blue and green in colour and the other 2 red and white presumably audio. This was why I originally thought I could buy a scart adaptor that provided component outputs. Clearly its not that simple
    I would have stayed with freeview if they hadnt fouled it up when they altered our channels making it unwatchable
    Dont think the idea of changing the Humax would go down too well with the other half after doing the hard sell.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try one of these:

You might have to reverse the red and blue connections.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Won't work and I'd already suggested it. That adapter will give RGB signals out but his TV needs YPbPr. SCART to SCART in RGB mode is the best solution with the equipment available.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Won't work and I'd already suggested it. That adapter will give RGB signals out but his TV needs YPbPr. SCART to SCART in RGB mode is the best solution with the equipment available.
    How does this differ from the scart to component leads you suggested in an earlier post?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCART-to-Component-RGB-Video-Lead-Cable-1-5 ... 1|294%3A50 .
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't, it just has sockets instead of leads with plugs on the end. Internally it is the same, Red Green and Blue outputs to go into an RGB input rather than YPbPr that you need.
    Quote Quote