VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everybody,

I've used "Super" from eRightSoft to convert a .mkv movie to divx format, no error messages, but I discovered an "old" problem of the resulted divx movie while playing on my divx standalone player: the image is "sticking" every 2 seconds
    It's not a freezing effect, it's more like a "image brake" which occurs periodicaly and it's disturbing in the end... Can somebody tell me what's wrong?
    P.S.: Now I'm converting the .mkv file with "All2AVI" into divx, will see and report what's the result.

Thanks in advance for every sugestion.

Conrad
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would use handbrake or xvid4psp or winff.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much, I will try winff (best rated from the 3 choices) and report back of results.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...not working at all with winff... something with ffmpeg is not right... and for handbrake it wants to install first net.framework etc... I would like to avoid installing additional softwares for that, so I will try now the last choice, xvid4psp (for psp???) and report again...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid4PSP (a stupid name for a great software) requires also the installation of net Framework (what is up with this trend? )
    However, if you install it, this tool should work for you just fine. It has even a preset "AVI Hardware", which converts video compatible with most of the divx players. Two things to check:
    1) I've never liked Super. You can't see what is going on with things like GMC. In Xvid4PSP you can uncheck such things that may cause your divx player to black out.
    2) Check if your player can handle xvid codec. If not, just chose the setting MPEG4.
    Take a short video, make multiple conversions with different settings, name them properly and try on the player. You will see which one does the job. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much, usta, I will try it now. I have a Philips DVP5960/12 and I see in the specs "Divx" and "Ultra Divx" certified, but nothing about xvid. In addition, I've put a .mp4 video in it (through a usb stick) and observed that the player will not "see" it... Is this meaning that it cannot handle mpeg 4 videos?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    XviD is also known as "DivX 4". The Philips DVP5960/12 will have no problems with it, only don't use GMC as already mentioned. You may have to change the FourCC from XVID to DIVX (which I always do).

Originally Posted by Conrad007
    It's not a freezing effect, it's more like a "image brake" which occurs periodicaly and it's disturbing in the end...
    Did you check your source frame rate? Not all converters that use FFmpeg will handle 23.976/29.97 to 25 fps frame rate conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot, Chris K! I have already converted the first file with Xvid4PSP and I have to say - the result is perfect (compared to all other attempts). So I will use it for all my conversions! The only problem I have with it: when I tried to run it on my notebook (Toshiba Satellite with Turion 64 x2 and Windows XP x64 SP2), it will only convert the first 2 minutes of the movie and after that it reports that the process is complete (no errors), but, of course, I receive only a small file (about 714Kb after 12 minutes)... Is there a problem with this software on 64bit maschines? On my desktop (pentium 4 with Intel processor 2GHz) it works perfect!
    And another question: what is "GMC" and where can I disable it in Xvid4PSP?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Conrad007
    Is there a problem with this software on 64bit maschines? On my desktop (pentium 4 with Intel processor 2GHz) it works perfect!
    I have no experience with the program but perhaps other 64bit users can tell.

And another question: what is "GMC" and where can I disable it in Xvid4PSP?
    GMC (global motion compensation) and qpel (1/4 pel motion compensation) are xvid settings that are not supported by most standalone DVD/DivX players. I suppose Xvid4PSP takes that into account.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Xvid4PSP you chose Video - Encoding Settings and you see the Motion tab. There you can select/unselect GMC.

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks a lot for your help!
    Now another question (hope I am not disturbing with too many questions): if I have a subtitle file (.srt) which is made for the same movie as mine, but another version of it (unknown), can I find a software where I open the subtitles (.srt) file and it also has a video player where I can see the movie and there is, for example, a button which I can push each time when in the movie is a conversation (etc.) to import automatically the time informations into the .srt file, in order to syncronize the subtitle "most accuratelly"? It would be great to have such a tool, because it's useless to sync. a subtitle automatically if you don't know much about it...
    Quote Quote