VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I am a beginner and started capturing video from a Sony DCR TRV340 Digital camcorder via firewire port direct inot Premiere Pro 3 and all worked well for first couple of tapes.

Then while capturing, i kept getting 'unknown recorder error' every 30 seconds to 5 minutes intervals resulting with a 60 minutes tape being captured to 30 short clips of unchosen lengths. This seemed to only happen with one of my 5 tapes. The only difference i can think of, is that i moved the camcorder around a lot while recording that particular tape.

After trying many settings/possibilities, i tried capturing with Windows Movie Maker which captured the whole tape without any erros into one long clip.

I used AVI setting/format as i read in a forum that this would give me the best quality video to do editing on and keeping options open about later output format.

I noticed that the sound on most of the tape was slightly slower than it should be, and the females voice was lowered/slowed so that it sounded like a male voice.

The Sony Handycam has two sound capture settings. The sound i recorded with setting 8 bits stereo was fine, but the sound recorded with setting 16 bits mono is the one that sounds slow when imported into Premiere.

If it matters i have a 768MB GEFORCE 8800 ULTRA PCI graphics card.

I am using XP Pro, quad core processor, 4 GM memory, plenty of disc space and a dedicated video capture disk.

I am looking for the best way (best quality video) to capture video and sound from this Handycam into my PC which will later be edited in Premiere Pro CS3.

Output format will be in a number of different formats including DVD and also short video for uTube.

Any advice appreciated.

Dave
    Quad Core extreme, 4 GB memory, 3 hard disks 72,000 rpm. Premiere Pro CS3. XP Pro Amatuer beginner.
    Quote Quote  
  2. try capturing it with winDV. then you will have the original DVavi files from the tape transferred to your hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So does WinDV capture in better higher quality than Windows Movie Maker V6.0 (setting set to AVI) ?

Dave
    Quad Core extreme, 4 GB memory, 3 hard disks 72,000 rpm. Premiere Pro CS3. XP Pro Amatuer beginner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by burrenyoga
    So does WinDV capture in better higher quality than Windows Movie Maker V6.0 (setting set to AVI) ?

Dave
    They should do the same thing but Premiere Pro can get complicated for preference settings and WMM needs to be set to output as DV-AVI in "other settings".

Think of WinDV as a single purpose capture program that may prove easier to use and may help identify the issues with this tape. WinDV captures the DV stream and places it in a DV-AVI file.

Use Type 2 AVI for use in Premiere Pro.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the end i used Scenanalyzer tool to do this, which chops the imported video into scenes.

The finished video can now be seen at
    <object width="425" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bKZos55APjY&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bKZos55APjY&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV will also capture to scenes when the discontinuity threshold is set above zero. It looks for breaks in the time code.

Scenalyzer can do that or detect optical scene breaks from image analysis.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote