VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Until recently an older PC running Win2k SP4 was connected directly to DSL modem and had no problems with Windows updates. With wireless router connected between modem and PC Windows update goes through the green squares scrolling across the screen while it searches for updates and finally gives error message "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page" with error 0x80072efe. Microsoft and Google search results for this error all seem to indicate this problem occurs when a system is connected to a server and on WinXP as well as Win2k which I'm not connected to a server. If I disconnect the router and reconnect the modem directly, updates proceed normally. Curiously the automatic updates seem to work fine with the router connected because I get notifications "Updates are ready for your computer" with download and install working fine, and the problem only happens with router connected when trying to scan for updates. Has anybody else had this kind of problem when not behind a server, and does anyone know how to fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You might want to be sure you can connect to various antvirus sites such as www.symantec.com and malware cleaning sites such as www.bleepingcomputer.com

Many viruses and malware will block Malware cleaning sites.

They may also block the run command or the taskmanager.

BTW "Startup Control Panel" from this website http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml also works on Windows 2000 to let you disable programs from starting up. It gives some control over startup items.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avast was downloaded and installed with no problem, and I seriously doubt this is a virus or malware problem since this is a fresh install. The only sites visited thus far were for updates and a few sites for utilities like Izarc, Zonealarm, etc. There seems to be quite a few posts about the problem without resolution for many.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You got a router setup disc?

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None of the 3 routers I've had came with setup disc and came only with printed booklet with about 10 to 12 pages of instructions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Have you tried calling up your DSL service provider? :P

Seriously, when I was with Sprint DSL (then Embarq when they were spun off), I had a lot of similar trouble. Apart from occasionally having to reset the modem, any real problem was always at their end. Had to wait on hold for up to an hour, bunch of idiots. My wireless router worked fine except when it didn't. Then they had me bridge the connection and that would work.... for awhile.

No problems ever now with Comcast cable.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ISP is AT&T DSL which is rated very good for my area, and I'll check with them. Unfortunately Comcast doesn't offer service to my location, and Charter that's rated not so good for my area is my only cable ISP choice.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My ISP was unable to help and told me they have no support for my router. However, I've begun noticing other problems such as inability to open web email such as Yahoo mail and missing the copy option when I right click selected text. I can do "Ctrl C" to copy and then do right click to paste but can't copy using the mouse as I should be able to do.

I had done a Win2k fresh install due to failure to boot after failed restore of Ghost image. The reinstall was done to FAT32 partition which was converted to NTFS, but several problems resulted including error message that no programs are installed when "Add/Remove Programs" was run from Control Panel. I ran Win2k Setup from the desktop selecting the "Upgrade" option which fixed many problems including the "Add/Remove Programs" issue, and I now wonder if there may be other problems possibly caused by the conversion to NTFS process. Do you think reformatting as NTFS and redoing the fresh Win2k install might be my easiest solution now considering the problems uncovered with other problems not yet discovered a possibility?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I was running Win2k on four boxes here at home, I did the drive conversion from FAT32 to NTFS and did not notice any problems. So I don't think reformatting as NTFS with do didly. So I would exhaust other alternations before doing a dredded reformat.

I suggest you install Update Rollup 1 package that came after SP4 just to rule out OS probems.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The fact that you experienced now problems after conversion to NTFS while I experienced a number of problems is even more reason to suspect something may have gone wrong in my NTFS conversion. I can't install the Update Rollup 1 or any other updates because I can't access Windows Updates now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Longshot.... but did you try running scannow ??

(I know that you ran ran Upgrade, but I'm trying to think of anything so you don't have to reformat)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Since you just recently formatted, I would absolutely blow the drive completely clean, re-partition and re-format.

How old is this drive? It experienced a boot failure as the original problem? Then a failed Ghost image restore, then a W2k re-install, then a fat32 conversion? Are you trying to make it have boot problems?

I'd run several thorough surface tests on the drive, the destructive kind, then re-partition, format, and start all over.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reformat and redo fresh install fixed the missing copy option when selected text is right clicked, but it failed to fix problem accessing web email and Windows updates. These problems occurred with modem in router mode and router set to "Dynamic IP."

I decided to try setting router to bridge mode, setting router to PPPoE and discovered my AT&T 6850G router works fine with my Westell 2200 modem when the router is set to PPPoE and the modem is in bridge mode. However, I can't access Windows updates and can't open web based email like Yahoo mail if modem is set to router mode and router is set to "Dynamic IP." I can access everything normally with modem only whether its set to bridge or router mode, but I can't access web email or Windows updates with router connected unless modem is set to bridge mode and router is set to PPPoE. I've also used Trendnet and US Robotics routers that work with no problems with another modem regardless of whether the modem is set to bridge or router mode. Could this be a limitation of the AT&T 6850G router, or is there a way to get it to work with the modem in router mode?
    Quote Quote  
  14. OK, first you do NOT have a "modem and a router", you have a combination modem/router plus a second wireless router.

Have not used either types of equipment you have, but the solution has ALWAYS been to set the DSL modem/router to bridge mode, basically making it a simple modem and disabling the routing capabilities. Two routers in sequence can be made to work, but it is a royal PITA and is generally not a good idea.

Alternate solution is to exchange combination modem/router for a new and improved combination modem/Wireless router. They will often do this for no charge, puts everything in one box, usually with lifetime replacement policy.

When you say they have "no support for my router", do you mean the combination modem/router which they supplied, or the one that you bought for yourself? Their support stops at the end of the ethernet cable connected to the modem/router which they supply.

For my local Embarq modems, there are two or three settings that need to be changed to bridge it, these will vary from model to model. These should be documented on their website.

PPOE may be necessary on your model, my local stopped using that several years ago. No biggie, just a different setting.

Go thru all settings on router and modem carefully. Try pointing your PC's DNS servers directly to your ISP's settings, or try an alternate set. Turn off DHCP and static your local IP on the computer. Simplify.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My ISP supports the Westell 2200 modem which has routing capability but has no support for the AT&T router I bought. The DSL service is with a new ISP who wanted to sell me a combination modem/wireless router, and I wanted to use the wireless router I'd already bought.

I've used other modems and wireless routers with the modems in router mode for years with no problems until this one, and I had no idea it was easier or best to have the modem in bridge mode. All problems are solved by having this modem in bridge mode.

I have another modem and a wireless modem at another location that's running with modem in router mode with no problem. Do you think I should change that other modem to bridge mode as well or just leave it in router mode?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Well, there's always "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but in this case I would bet money that it IS broke and nobody has noticed. Network and/or Internet performance will almost certainly improve.

I have seen a number of such setups that do actually work, but NOT ONE repeat NOT ONE that worked as well as when everything is set up correctly. The problems also tend to be diddly, gnarly little problems such as you experienced, not major issues that demand an immediate fix.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Occasionally I do lose connection and have to restart it, but I don't know if that has anything to do with my setup. However, I think I'll try it the way you recommend to see if I notice any improvement, and I can always revert to the current setup if the change causes any problems. Thanks for letting me know the better way to setup modem and router.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Having to reset the DSL modem is not at all uncommon.

Just confirmed some info on another job, the current Zyxel modem/routers have a menu selection to set to Bridge Mode! One button, all done. Although if the static IP you paid for has been already assigned to another customer, it still won't work.

Also, Embarq will supply a combo modem/Wireless Router at no charge, and will replace the unit, at no charge, for Lifetime as long as you are still using their DSL service. There is no monthly rental charge. I'm in a heavy lightning area so this has some advantage. Their units mostly similar to other routers, OK unless you need some specialized features. The All-in-one box saves a little on space, wiring, and power cords.

Another little tidbit, if you originally contracted for a certain speed at a certain price, you may now be able to get that same speed for less money, or more speed for the same money. BUT, they do not necessarily automatically reduce your bill to reflect the newer, lower prices. You have to ask for it.
    Quote Quote