VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I connected my Sony DCR-HC52 to my laptop Sony VGN-460 via a firewire cable and created DVDs for months with the Click to DVD software. However, the laptop won't recognize the camcorder any more?! I can hear the sound when I connect the camcorder to the laptop, but Click DVD, Windows moviemaker and DV gate won't recognize the camcorder any more? I tried another laptop with fireware and Moviemaker recognized the camcorder immediately. What is going on? Is there some kind of software that is blocking the camcorder from being recognizaed or any other ideas?

I would really appreciate some good ideas!

Roger
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rogerwestberg
    I connected my Sony DCR-HC52 to my laptop Sony VGN-460 via a firewire cable and created DVDs for months with the Click to DVD software. However, the laptop won't recognize the camcorder any more?! I can hear the sound when I connect the camcorder to the laptop, but Click DVD, Windows moviemaker and DV gate won't recognize the camcorder any more? I tried another laptop with fireware and Moviemaker recognized the camcorder immediately. What is going on? Is there some kind of software that is blocking the camcorder from being recognizaed or any other ideas?

I would really appreciate some good ideas!

Roger
    Not good news. Next try your camcorder on another computer.

You may have a broken IEEE-1394 port on the camcorder. This is expensive to fix.

The good news is you hear the connection ding.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. other things to try are a different firewire cable and using winDV to see if it can find the cam.

the cam was on and in play mode, correct?

eddv - he said the cam works when connected to a different laptop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd

eddv - he said the cam works when connected to a different laptop.
    Sorry, I got that backwards then. After the "ding" you should get a list of software apps and connection options. Try them all. WinDV should see it.

Next you could try uninstalling the IEEE-1394 driver in device manager then reboot.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. I tested the cable & camcorder on another PC and it works. I tried WinDV and it won't recognize my camcorder either?! It seems like something is blocking the recognition capabilities? The camcorder is OK, the firewire cable is OK, it works on a different PC. Any ideas what could be blocking the recognition on my PC? I do hear the ding when connecting the camcorder to my PC. PLease help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. I tested the cable & camcorder on another PC and it works. I tried WinDV and it won't recognize my camcorder either?! It seems like something is blocking the recognition capabilities? The camcorder is OK, the firewire cable is OK, it works on a different PC. Any ideas what could be blocking the recognition on my PC? I do hear the ding when connecting the camcorder to my PC. PLease help?
    It is a failure in your Direct Show layer. We have some experts here. Maybe they will notice this.

Did you review Baldrick's FAQ?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic267926.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I think you might be right about a Direct Show issue. I look forward to further information. I hope the next answer will solve my problem.

Thank you very much,

Roger
    Quote Quote  
  8. what software have you installed since it last worked?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only iTunes and quicktime and automatic windows updates. This might be a windows update issues?!
    Quote Quote  
  10. if it were a windows update issue there would be thousands of people screaming about it, so no, there haven't been any reports of it causing a problem.

do you have or can you borrow a different firewire device to check the port on the laptop?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the funny things is that it worked in April ans there has been a windows update since, but it could also be a virus?! I don't have another firewire device to check the port, but I could buy a PCMCIA firewire card to see if that works. I am just wondering if you have seen any software issues in the past that prevent recognition despite the ding sound?
    Quote Quote  
  12. years ago xp sp2 updated windows firewire to strict specs. some old firewire devices were no longer recognized, but your sony is too new and was working so this isn't a factor. i have a sony hc and it's still working and my xp is completely updated.

if you are in the mood to experiment try un-installing itunes and quicktime. i would be more hopeful if it had been nero, corel, pinnacle or a few others though.
    Quote Quote  
  13. there are 2 more steps you can try to get it back working. both involve editing your xp registry. if you are not comfortable doing it then please don't, as messing it up can cause you to have to re-format the hard drive and re-install windows from scratch.

with that warning out of the way

A.)To refresh the IEEE 1394 device listings in the Windows Registry:

1. Open the Windows Registry Editor by selecting Start > Run and typing Regedit in the Open field. Click OK.

2. Navigate to the following Registry address: My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Enum\1394.

3. Right-click the 1394 folder and select Permissions.

4. On the Security tab, Select Everyone in the Group Or User Names panel. Select Allow Full Control in the Permissions For Everyone Panel. Click OK to close the window.

5. Right-click the 1394 folder and select Delete. Click Yes to confirm key delete.

6. Connect the DV device to the computer via the IEEE 1394 (FireWire) port and power on the DV device to force Windows to reload the device information into the registry.

B.) To check for and disable directshow third-party Video Capture Sources filters:

1. Download and install Microsoft GraphEdit to view the DirectShow filters on your system.

2. Open GraphEdit and choose Graph > Insert Filters.

3. Navigate to Video Capture Sources in the list of filters.

4. Expand Video Capture Sources to view the filters installed on your system.

5. Expand the individual Video Capture Sources listings to identify the file names of the filters installed on your system.

6. Navigate to those files and change the file extension to .old.

remember the warning and good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for some great idea. I tried A, but it made no difference. I connected the camcorder to the firewire port and heard the ding, but the PC still didn't recogize the camcorder.

I tried B, but didn't find any filters installed. Any other ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any other ideas?
    Save data
    Reformat
    Reinstall Windows and all updates.
    Quote Quote  
  16. if it were one of mine i'd be doing exactly what eddv just suggested. sorry, sometimes it's faster, and easier to give up and start over.
    Quote Quote