VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post pics of your rig, share your hardware/software setup, and presentation method

I have been working on this rig for about 2.5 years (1000+ Blu ray/DVD and 30,000+ songs)

I rip/and demux blu ray in 1 stroke w/ AnyDVD HD/TsMuxer, and make an disc image (iso) w/ imgburn

My "front-end" is MyMovies3 integrated in to Win7x64/MC7

I play back blu ray and DVD w/ PowerDVD8

All movies ripped to main movie w/ TsMuxeR and iso created w/ imgburn

HDTV from a Hauppauge HVR 1600/MC7/Win TV 7

Netflix streaming movies

I save music as Windows media lossless, and play from MC7/Media Player

I send video by HDMI to my Samsung 56" and spdif to my Yamaha receiver

Thermaltake Mozart Tx Aluminum case
    GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard (augmented w/ SIIG 2-port sata expansion) card
    Athlon II Propus 630 X4 @ 3.62Ghz
    CoolerMaster V8
    8GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066 @ DDR2 1066
    Corsair 850w 70a 12v rail psu
    EVGA 8800GTX
    Pioneer BDR-203
    SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum
    Hauppauge ATSC tuner "1600"
    6x 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda HDD's
    3x 2TBGB Samsung F4 HDD's in BYTCC "hot swap trays"
    4x 1TBGB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD's in (2x) Rosewill USB dual HDD enclosure

Samsung 56" 1080P DLP
    105w per channel x7 Yamaha DD/DTS receiver
    325w per channel Adcom stereo power amp
    200w per channel Adcom stereo power amp
    Cerwin-Vega 400w 15" 3-way front speakers
    Cerwin-Vega 200w 12' 3-way rear speakers
    Cerwin-Vega 400w (2x) 15"x2 Subwoofer (dual double 15" woofers lol)
    Cerwin-Vega 150w 6.5"x2 2.5 -way center channel speaker

Logitech G110 backlit multi-media keyboard
    Logitech G-7 wireless mouse
    Razor Diamondback Salamander mouse
    Hauppauge MCE remote control
    Marantz RC2000 Mk II remote control
    Samsung monochrome laser printer
    Epson Stylus Photo RX500 printer
    Epson Artisan 710 printer
    Rosewill sata docking station

ocgw

peace
    Last edited by ocgw; 28th Apr 2014 at 12:28. Reason: update
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    HTPC motherboard upgrade. My original MB was a bit old. It worked with my Phenom II 920, but just barely. I couldn't run the 1066 RAM much above 800Mhz. And other options were limited. I will be able to reuse the older MB in another PC with an older Phenom CPU.

Before picture. The two red cables going right are for a eSATA PCI socket. The new MB has a built in eSATA socket, so I eliminated them. There is also a PATA cable going to a DVD ROM. I switched that to a Sony SATA burner. The top optical drive is a BD ROM. I had added a 80mm fan behind the HDDs, but it didn't cool them at all. You can also see the wad of case fan wiring to the right of the HDD cage, along with a Y splitter. I put all that under the MB. The NB fan worked, but had that big Molex connector for power. To the far lower right, I plugged that grill and my temps dropped two degrees. The case exhaust fans were pulling in outside air instead of moving the hot case air out. Wrong place for a intake grill. The wiring is a bit messy, but it has gone through frequent modifications. Time to start over.

Not enough air can flow through that rear grill, so no use trying to use it for the only intake for the PS. I had hoped to remote the PS air intake to smooth the airflow through the case.

The stock AMD cooler is actually fairly good. I had attached a small fan to the NB with the old MB, but not a lot of effect. I suspect the thermal compound under the NB may be part of the problem there. I'll renew it when I reuse the MB.

You can see the jumble of the case fan wiring at the center of the photo. That will all go under the MB.

The MB ready to pull out.

The MB and the optical drive cage removed.

The CPU and the bottom of the cooler. I had used a bit too much Arctic Silver. The CPU pulled out of the socket and I had to pry it off the cooler. But no damage. I may change from Arctic Silver to another compound. Having the CPU stick to the cooler can cause damage to the CPU unless you are really careful.

The cooler and the CPU cleaned up with 99% isopropyl alcohol. It's a four heat-pipe cooler with a solid copper base. It also has a four pin PWM fan. Nice for a OEM. The CPU is sitting on a anti-static pad.

The CPU coated with a very thin layer of Arctic Silver as it was the only compound I had available at the time.

The CPU cooler and the 4GB of OCZ 1066 DDR2 RAM in place. I might change them to the other slots as they do block the cooler exhaust a little. You can see the odd design of the NB heatsink. I think they designed it so you couldn't add an aftermarket cooler. What's odd is there's a NB fan header right next to it. I could switch it with the NB cooler on the old MB as they have the same mounting holes and it can mount a fan. I don't know why they put that blue plate on it. It just blocks the airflow. It's glued on and I had it off, but I put it back on in case of RMA. The SB heatsink is smaller than the one on the old MB, but it uses a different chipset and seems to run fairly cool.

The MB is running at this point. I will clean up the wiring later. I have a mini-kaze fan sitting on the video card HS, but it won't move enough air to help. You can see the exhaust fan wiring coming up over the MB by the first PCI slot. It's plugged into the fan header for the non-existent NB fan. The slot between the tuner and the video card is covered by the video card, but I put my SP/DIF PCI slot coaxial audio adapter there. The X1 slot is still open for add-on cards.

BIOS. The case fans are plugged into the NB header. I added a fan to the video card later and it uses the system fan header. The temps are fairly good here. I did up the DDR2 voltage to 2.1VDC as this is the RAM spec. This was also before OCing to 3.3GHZ. I will set the CPU fan to PWM mode and turn on the overtemp warning and the fan warnings except the CPU fan warning. PWM is able to stop and start the CPU fan and that will trigger the alarm if you have it set. (EDIT: They must have fixed that problem as I didn't get any buzzers with the warning on.)

The 80mm magnetic bearing fan. It's totally silent, but moves a fair amount of air. It blows half on the video card HS and half on the NB HS. It drops the temperature of both a fair amount. I hot glued it to the tuner card and the video card. It's easy enough to pop off without damage, but won't fall off. Actually better than a metal bracket in some ways.

The PC ready to go. Getting rid of the case fan wiring, the HDD fan and wiring, the PATA cable and the two rear eSATA cables, cleaned it up fairly well. You can see my infrared thermometer to to the left of the PS. Very handy for checking PC temps.

Next: Seeing how far I can push the performance. It's primarily a HTPC and functions well that way. Adding the ATI 3450 allows me to still use the onboard HDMI video and have a lot better performance. It uses the 3450 with the Crossfire software and uses the 3450 GPU for hardware video acceleration. This upped my Vista graphics score by about 0.4 points, a fair gain. I can also OC both graphics GPUs, so that's another thing to try. As is, it should play BD video with no problems.

UPDATE: I'm still having heat problems, with the CPU running about 65C during long encodes. Part of this is the HTPCs position in my entertainment center as it only has about a 1/2" clearance on both sides. I plan to move it and the amp to a outside shelf where is can get a bit more airflow. And I'm replacing the stock CPU cooler with a Scythe Ninja Mini Rev. B with a 92mm PWM fan that hopefully can be configured to blow towards the exhaust fans. There's no room for high performance coolers due to the height of the case. I was able to OC the CPU up to a bit above 3.4GHz, but the temperatures were too high. I did get the RAM to run at 1066Mhz, so that was an improvement. The Crossfire setup works well and the GPU runs fairly cool with the additional fan added. Noise level is a bit too high, but that's mostly the CPU fan running a 6000RPM because of the CPU heat. No other issues, though. It plays BDs to my projector with no problem using Arcsoft Total Media Theater 3.

NEW UPDATE: I installed the Scythe Ninja and am seeing nice improvements in CPU temperatures. Idle temps are about 40C and load temps are about 57C, but that OC's to 3.3Ghz. I was getting 64C load temps before with stock timing, so this is much better. Those temps aren't necessarily correct, I just use them for reference. The CPU is actually running quite a bit cooler than that.

I used a 92mm PWM Arctic Cooling fan and Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal compound instead of Arctic Sliver 5. I did have to pull the motherboard to install the cooler. I tried a 80mm fan on the front side of the cooler, but it sits on the hold down clip and that makes it too high. I also couldn't use my axillary 80mm fan for the NB/GPU. The cooler just barely fits. It has about 1mm clearance from the cross brace.

The Lian-Li case.

My entertainment center. The HTPC is in the lower center. The surround sound amplifier is on top of it. To the left and right lower sides are the Sony 400 disc DVD changers. Most of my video is on servers in another room and the PCs access them over a Gigabit LAN. I have about 7TB storage at present on three servers. The screen is a 12' diagonal. Not too visible are two 50W 10" Polk subwoofers. Also shown is a Philps 5990 DVD player and a Pioneer DVR 633HS.

My Sony projector. It's wall mounted on a TV monitor stand as most of the regular projector mounts hold the projector upside down and that makes it a bit harder to adjust.

SPECIFICATIONS:

HTPC:

Lian Li HTPC case
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H motherboard
    AMD Phenom II 920 CPU OC'd to 3.3Ghz
    Onboard video Crossfired with a MSI 3450 ATI chipset video card. Output as HDMI and VGA.
    4GB OCZ 1066Mhz Reaper RAM
    (2) 500GB WD SATA HDD running in AHCI mode.
    Sony BD ROM
    Sony DVD burner
    Thermaltake 500W modular PS with 14CM fan.

PROJECTOR:

Sony Bravia

AUDIO AMP:

Sony STR K750P

TV:

HD Homerun tuner for OTA HDTV, accessed over the LAN.
    My HD SD/HD cable TV tuner

ADDITIONAL:

I use a HDMI switcher to select the output from the HTPC, DVD changers, DVD players. I have a second switcher for the coaxial audio from the devices. The main speakers are custom built with 15" woofers and horn tweeters and hard cone midrange. They are capable of 500W RMS, though I don't have that much power available with my amp.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about room dimensions?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post pics of your rig, share your hardware/software setup, and presentation method

I have been working on this rig for about 1 year (325+ Blu ray/200+ DVD/5000+ songs)
    You now that scen in Matrix where the security guard asks Neo to remove any metalic objects and Neo opens his coat?

The security guard makes a 'Holy Chit' face and says 'Holy Chit!'. <- That's me
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    How about room dimensions?
    From projector to screen, 22 feet and my chair is at about 10 feet. The room is 18 feet wide. Blu-ray and HD looks great, but SD looks fuzzy. I can't get the room dark enough for daytime viewing, but it's perfect at night. I also corrected my speaker size, they're 15".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ redwudz, nice setup bro'! and thx for posting

That MyHD OTA ATSC TV Tuner card of yours, that is the best HD TV tuner card isn't it?

also what are you input devices?, I know you have to have some nice input gear

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ocgw
    That MyHD OTA ATSC TV Tuner card of yours, that is the best HD TV tuner card isn't it?

also what are you input devices?, I know you have to have some nice input gear
    I haven't kept up on TV tuner cards, I only use that one for SD TV. I have a HDHomerun tuner hooked to my LAN for OTA HDTV. The MyHD was a PITA to set up and and I would have to run a second coax cable for OTA HDTV from my antenna to my entertainment center, so I got the HDHomerun instead and it's next to the coax feed from my antenna in another room. You can use it from any computer on the LAN. If it picked up SD from my cable, I would eliminate the MyHD. I don't watch TV anyway.

The 'other room' with my servers, router and switches, and some other stuff:

I use a BTC wireless keyboard: http://www.amazon.com/BTC-9019URF-Wireless-Multimedia-Dual-Mode/dp/B000B7RBKE The handles make it easy to grab and it's tough. I've dropped it quite a few times and it's still going strong on it's second year.

And a Verbatim Wireless Nano mouse: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826636011 I've used these with my laptop and they are really solid. Uses a tiny transceiver that you can leave plugged in on the front of the case and you can hardly see it.

I also have a Sony RM-AV2500 universal remote control, though I don't use it much.

I use the KB and mouse through a IOGear USB KVM that can switch from my HTPC to my Intel PC. They both output HDMI and VGA, which goes the projector and to a 22" Hanns-G LCD monitor. I use that more often than the projector as the Intel is my encoding PC. (The one in my computer details}
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Below is the setup I have here. The one up north is a little less showy since almost every component is hidden. The pic is a little old since I can see a few big pieces have changed, though the cable mess is worse if you can believe it. The silver Antec case was my last DH800 which has since been replaced with the 5396 in the black Lian Li tower. I miss that 37" 1080p LCD; the 47" that replaced it is just too big to use as a second display when I'm sitting at the desk working. I also have a newer wireless N hub. The HDHomeRun seems to be absent from the pic as well, but it is now being used to leech digital cable from the wall while one of the Hauppauge cards uses that ugly OTA antenna. The receiver gets optical from the HTPC to use the better speakers while the PC ones do the rest of the work (games, iTunes, system sounds, etc.). The un-racked UPS on the left can power the PC, monitor, and network for nearly an hour even though its batteries are approaching 5 years old. I have a Logitech MX5000 Bluetooth combo I use for the HTPC and the PS3, though since I do most of my couch-surfing on a MBP the BT keyboard/mouse mostly only get used on the PS3. I use the simple WMC remote and have been for years; never had a need for anything fancier.

FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rallynavvie
    Below is the setup I have here. The one up north is a little less showy since almost every component is hidden. The pic is a little old since I can see a few big pieces have changed, though the cable mess is worse if you can believe it. The silver Antec case was my last DH800 which has since been replaced with the 5396 in the black Lian Li tower. I miss that 37" 1080p LCD; the 47" that replaced it is just too big to use as a second display when I'm sitting at the desk working. I also have a newer wireless N hub. The HDHomeRun seems to be absent from the pic as well, but it is now being used to leech digital cable from the wall while one of the Hauppauge cards uses that ugly OTA antenna. The receiver gets optical from the HTPC to use the better speakers while the PC ones do the rest of the work (games, iTunes, system sounds, etc.). The un-racked UPS on the left can power the PC, monitor, and network for nearly an hour even though its batteries are approaching 5 years old. I have a Logitech MX5000 Bluetooth combo I use for the HTPC and the PS3, though since I do most of my couch-surfing on a MBP the BT keyboard/mouse mostly only get used on the PS3. I use the simple WMC remote and have been for years; never had a need for anything fancier.
    Nice setup bro', yeah those Hauppauge antennas are an "eye sore" aren't they? lol

almost forgot: @ neomaine, thx

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice setups, everybody. I don't know if I can go to sleep with all that equipment in my house, not asfter seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey ("I'm sorry, but I can't do that, Dave")
    There are no problems - only chances to excel.
    -- Unknown
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Upate: I finally just finished my rig; 15TB [(3x) 2TB + (6x) 1.5TB] internal storage + (2x) 2TB usb external storage-19TB total capacity

1015 movies so far, mostly BD, all demuxed and uncompressed, 30,000+ songs (300GB) w/ 4.5TB free space

I struggled to finish this project as I recently went thru a divorce

new pics in my new home coming soon

It is done

ocgw
    Last edited by ocgw; 4th Oct 2010 at 11:39.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    after 4yrs of divorce, got the 70" Sharp Aquos HDTV, Yamaha receiver with HDMI switching and a 500GBDVR, put the 12TB server in another room augmented with a 14TB server and a small silent htpc in the theater, details coming

The Final Solution

[Attachment 24856 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by ocgw; 30th Apr 2014 at 12:18.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by ocgw; 28th Apr 2014 at 12:24.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello fellow DIY media center/htpc enthusiasts, I just completed rebuilding my HTPC Server combining my new small server into the older large Thermaltake case to save space and be more energy efficient and increase capacity

2x6TB HDD
    2x4TB HDD
    2x3TB HDD
    4x2TB HDD

1x128GB SSD

1xBlu-Ray Burner

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Motherboard (UEFI)

Quad-core CPU

8GB Ram

Vantec 6-port SATAIII PCIe RAID Host Card

I removed the SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum drive (5" bay") and installed a 4th hot swappable drive bay

34TB total storage capacity

1450+ movies & 60,000+ songs

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150112_152003.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	29668

Name:	20150112_152031.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	29669
    Last edited by ocgw; 12th Jan 2015 at 17:29.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That look very formidable.

Lots of HDD space

My server PCs have about 9 HHDs each and weigh about 60lbs. (Steel cases)
    That looks very heavy. May need wheels.

Great setup.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is my setup
    -ONKYO TX-NR636 dolby truehd atmos 7.2 receiver
    -1080p 3D epson 2030 projector
    -Htpc intel quad core @ 2.33GHZ, 8gb ram, 2X 2TB HDD (data), 2X 120gb SSD RAID0, Nvidia gtx560 1gb hdmi, windows 8.1
    -140'' HIGH CONTRAST LOW GAIN HDTV PROJECTION PROJECTOR SCREEN
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006[1].JPG
Views:	487
Size:	682.1 KB
ID:	29677  

Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My system.

Name:	old-computer-640x420.jpg
Views:	3792
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	29678  

I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Now you're just bragging.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I want to see the intergalactic death ray that thing runs!!!!!!!!
    LOL!!!

Name:	deathray2.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	29679

Name:	deathray.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	29680
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To Redwudz, thx ole buddy, and actually that case is made 100% of aluminum and you can lift it with your fingertips empty, with the 10 HDD's in it is is quite a load tho'

To imhh1, nice screen, what what speakers are you running?

To Johnso, lol that looks like my old system

@ Noahtuck, that's the "lite" model, i have the heavy barrel version lol
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE:

I upgraded my htpc to usb3.0 and with usb3.0 flash card reader

added a Cerwin-Vega quad woofer center channel speaker

put a 500watt continous x2 Carver amp on the double 15" subs

put Marnatz MA500 180w mono block amps on the surround speakers

put Marantz MA700 300 watt mono block amp on the center channel

So now all speaker channels have high power descrete amplifiers for over 2K watt of clean power, no speaker is powered by the Yamaha receiver, it is serving as a surround pre pro with its pre out on all channels
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My "Masterpiece"

Name:	20150227_005807.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	30519  

Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No pics, cause well the HTPC itself looks like a typical Cooler Master HAFX case.

The specs though:

Summary
    Operating System
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4820K @ 3.70GHz 30 °C
    Ivy Bridge-E 22nm Technology
    RAM
    32.0GB DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) 43 °C
    Graphics
    SONY TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
    3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 30 °C
    Storage
    93GB SiImage SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
    3726GB ATA ST4000VN000-1H41 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 31 °C
    3726GB ATA ST4000VN000-1H41 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 33 °C
    3726GB Seagate ST4000VN 000-1H4168 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 35 °C
    3726GB Seagate ST4000VN 000-1H4168 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 34 °C
    3726GB Seagate Expansion Desk USB Device (USB (SATA)) 42 °C
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH14NS40 SCSI CdRom Device
    Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's a lot of memory dude seriously!
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    32.0GB DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28) should read as 32.0GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (11-11-11-28).
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ocgw View Post
    that's a lot of memory dude seriously!
    I use the PC for audio and video editing as well. I got the ram for a good price, so I figured what the hell. Might as well load her up.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know what you mean, if i had (2)x 8gb sticks instead of (4)x 4gb sticks i might have done the same thing
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heck here's my laptop specs:

Summary
    Operating System
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz 43 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 793MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1763 (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 (MSI)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M (MSI) 37 °C
    Storage
    238GB Intel Raid 0 Volume (RAID)
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0 (SATA) 28 °C
    3726GB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA)) 44 °C
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp BDDVDW SN-506BB