VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some videocams and digicams shoot AVCHD or MP4 video in 1280x720 at 60p. The format now appears in both high and low end devices. Information about its applications is, however, scant.

Do any software packages burn BD or AVCHD-DVD discs based on 60p video without downscaling or lossy recoding?

Will most, or perhaps only a few, dedicated BD players play such discs?

Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. multiavchd (simple menus), tsmuxer (no menus) to author, imgburn to burn. All free, no re-encoding and allow pass through of compliant streams (i.e. you can take it straight from your camera to disc)

DVD Architect 5+, Encore CS4 will allow pass through of compliant streams as well, and have more capabilities if you want a full authoring suite, but Encore CS won't allow AVCHD on DVD5/9 media, only true Blu-ray BD25 media

The majority of standalone players will play these discs, either BD5/9 , BD25, but the settings are different if you use true blu-ray disc vs. DVD media vs. SDHC card (folder structure is a bit different), and you just use the labelled option. Each player may have quirks or idiosyncracies, and may need certain firmware revisions to work, but the majority seem to work out of the box. There is a database on Doom9 forums of specific players and notes/workarounds on the specific model.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course Premiere Pro, FCP and Vegas Pro all handle 1280x720p/59.94 source and projects and can also do 1920x1080p /59.94 projects. Blu-Ray players currently won't handle 1920x1080p/59.94 so one would export to 1920x1080i.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1280 x 720\60p is not a problem, I do a lot of that myself with my processed HDV footage. MultiAVCHD will even let you create a disk with multiple tittles of various framerates and resolutions. I once made a dvd5 disk as a test with:

1280 x 720 \ 23.976p
    1280 x 720 \ 30p
    1280 x 720 \ 59.94p
    1920 x 1080 \ 23.976p
    1920 x 1080 \ 30p
    1920 x 1080 \ 60i
    1920 x 1080 \ 59.94p

Everything played perfectly on my Panasonic BD-35 player except the 1920 x 1080 \ 59.94p. In that case, only the audio played and not the video.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So MultiAVCHD will create disc images or burn them too? Will the resulting discs play 1280x702 60p video on a any dedicated BD player that accepts BD-RE?

Since MutliAVCHD does not recode, are the system requirements also fairly simple? My system is only 2.4 ghz core 2 duo.

If one works with Vegas Pro, does it take more CPU and graphics power to edit 1280x720 60p than for AVCHD at 1440x1080i?

I read someplace that Premier Elements 7 has trouble with 60p (stutters, missed frames) and that Pemier Pro hangs on AVCHD. Is this mistaken?

Might MultiAVCHD function more or less the same as the ArcSoft Media Impression bundled with Kodak pocket cams that shoot in 1280x720 60p?

Finally, once one creates a BDMV folder, does it matter whether one burns it to a BD disc or a simple 4.7 GB DVD+R? Wouldn't either play the same on a BD player?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It is recommended to use imgburn to burn (UDF 2.5)

720p60 should play in all BD Players that accept that format or have "AVCHD" label, but beware some are "picky" and some require certain firmware revisions to work properly. You should search the various forums for specific info on your model (you can also try Doom9 forums, AVSforums)

Your system is fine for MultiAVCHD, but editing might be difficult/sluggish

I don't know about Elements, but Premiere Pro CS4 works fine with AVCHD

You can use either DVD or BD media, but the folder structure is slightly different (if you use multiavchd, the options are labelled, if you use tsmuxer, use "avchd" for DVD media, "blu-ray" for blu-ray media)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Persistence
    ...My system is only 2.4 ghz core 2 duo.

If one works with Vegas Pro, does it take more CPU and graphics power to edit 1280x720 60p than for AVCHD at 1440x1080i?
    About the same number of pixels being processed per second. The issue is AVCHD compression.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote