VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello I got a Canon SD9790 IS digital camera that shoots 1280x720 HD movies in .mov format.
    They look great played back on the TV with the HDMI cable but when I download them to my G4 Powermac or my friend's G5 iMac the playback is jerky when I open them in Quicktime.
    How do I get these movies to play smoothly? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by KeepItSimple
    G4 Powermac or my friend's G5 iMac the playback is jerky
    seems that your computers are not enough powerfull to read you videos smoothly
    no hope (except re-encode them to a lower size, but you will lose benefit of HD )

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I import the movies into iMovie they play smoothly but Quicktime only plays back at 15fps giving it that jerky quality. What software do I need to make it play well?
    Quote Quote  
  4. do you have Perian version 1.1 (take a look to your system preferences)? it looks like this version bad behavior with h264 streams
    so update
    if not… no idea

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The videos imported into iMovie are converted to DV Stream
    for editing upon import. So you are getting a false positive:
    it plays back fine in iMovie, because iMovie has converted them
    to DV Stream format, and is playing back the DV Stream
    formatted files, not the HD files.

Your best bet would be to test playback in VLC on your G4 mac.
    If it plays herky jerky in VLC v. 0.98 or higher, then yes
    you do not have enough Processing power to handle playback
    (by Apple's own admission, HD playback reguires a 1.0ghz
    chip or higher to handle playback at that resolution).

In which case Herve is right, the only way to do anything
    with these files will be to transcode down ( as iMovie has) to SD
    quality for playback/editing.....

If VLC plays the files fine, then try his suggestion on updating Perian
    to v 1.1.3, and try playing in Quicktime Player 7.4.5 or higher.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry I might not have been describing the playback in Quicktime properly.
    The 1280x720 30 fps h.264 .mov files the camera generates actually are not jerky. They play back smoothly but at only 15fps (according to the file info) instead of 30fps as recorded, giving it that 15fps "look" which I was calling jerky.

I created 720p and 1080i iMovie projects, imported some of that H.264 1280x720 HD footage from my Canon camera and then exported to full quality. Both play back at 30fps and look great in Quicktime.

Oh my computer is a G4 Power Mac FW800 w/dual 1.25 Ghz processors so I think that's strong enough to power HD. The Perian is version 1.1.3, Quicktime 7.6, VLC is 0.9.9a.
    VLC just plays back a freeze frame of the 1st frame and the audio so that's not working with these files at all on my mac.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having the same issue with my new Canon SD960IS when I play HD movies on my computer. I know the problem is not the speed of my computer (AMD Dual Core 1.9 GHz with 3.00 GB RAM). Movies play back just fine directly from the camera but are jerky when downloaded from a computer. I have played the movies with Microsoft Media Player and Qucktime with similar results. I have contacted Canon several times and they have not been able to help me. Canon even replaced the camera for a different problem and I still have the same result. I am frustated and have not been able to solve the problem. Both the SD970IS and SD960IS just were released by Canon.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ Disco:
    Make sure your PC plays flawlessly HD MKVs (Matroska).
    Download Avidemux 2.5 (free). Drag and Drop your movie (or movies. If they are of the same specs, they get appended automatically). Leave Video and Audio to "copy", Save as MKV (eg. My New File.mkv). As no transcoding takes place, just changing of "wrapping", the procedure is fast. Open the new file with your favorite player. Enjoy!
    P.S.
    As the audio is mono, you might want to save as "stereo" or even AC3, as I found out that my PopCornHour does not like mono
    Don't ask me why both the above happen. They just do, and we have to live with them
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KeepItSimple
    I created 720p and 1080i iMovie projects, imported some of that H.264 1280x720 HD footage from my Canon camera and then exported to full quality. Both play back at 30fps and look great in Quicktime.
    iMovie 8 and 9 convert 1280x720p to 960x540p or 720x480 DV and edit that resolution. Export to 1280x720p is an upconversion.

You will need to cap to Apple intermediate Codec and use FCE to edit at 1280x720p.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote