VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I hook up my HDMI cable I get a msg that says "DVI alert: Your HDTV doesn't support HDCP. Disconnect the HDMI cable and connect using component cables." I've heard that the pic is better with the HDMI so that's what I want to use. Is there a menu or something that I need to access so that I can use the cable? I've called the Vizio and my cable company, both point fingers at each other as the problem. I tend to think it's a cable box issue not really a tv issue but I'd sure apprecieate some help here. And, just to complicate matters a bit more, I'm planning on adding a Blu-Ray player, does anyone know if it'll have an effect on this problem? Thx in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aimee43
    When I hook up my HDMI cable I get a msg that says "DVI alert: Your HDTV doesn't support HDCP. Disconnect the HDMI cable and connect using component cables." I've heard that the pic is better with the HDMI so that's what I want to use. Is there a menu or something that I need to access so that I can use the cable? I've called the Vizio and my cable company, both point fingers at each other as the problem. I tend to think it's a cable box issue not really a tv issue but I'd sure apprecieate some help here. And, just to complicate matters a bit more, I'm planning on adding a Blu-Ray player, does anyone know if it'll have an effect on this problem? Thx in advance
    The box is saying the HDTV HDMI input isn't HDCP compliant. Try it on another HDTV or on a HDCP compliant computer monitor (HDMI->DVI-D).

Otherwise use analog component.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I get the same msg on another TV, that leads me to beleive it's an issue with the digital cable box but does that mean my only option is to use componenet cables? Seems like a crummy aleternative since the HDMI pic was significantly better when I viewed it in the store.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get the same msg on another TV, that leads me to beleive it's an issue with the digital cable box but does that mean my only option is to use componenet cables? Seems like a crummy aleternative since the HDMI pic was significantly better when I viewed it in the store.
    Not that much better. What is the model of your HDTV?

You can exchange 8500HD units but you will lose all stored files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vizio SV470XVT FHDTV

What do you mean "You can exchange 8500HD units but you will lose all stored files. "
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vizio SV470XVT FHDTV

What do you mean "You can exchange 8500HD units but you will lose all stored files. "
    That TV should work. Demand a no charge service call.

If you exchange the 8300HD, you will lose your stored files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've already called for a svc call, they'll be out this Friday. I'm afraid I'm going to hear the same old thing "we don't support HDMI, you're on your own" I've asked them to bring a newer DVR, we'll see. Thx for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did they tell you they don't support HDMI? You didn't say that.

That is entirely their choice. They program the box and can block HDMI if they want.

I've never seen a cable company do this since HDMI+HDCP protects them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It supports HDMI but you'll have to go through the remote control of the digital box to set it. I can't remember what setting it was but you do have to go through that setup. Do a search on google or AVS Forums. Time Warner doesn't support HDMI on their HD boxes but you can use it.

I returned a digital HD box because too many issues using HDMI when you wanna record on vhs. Yuh, my folks still use a vhs and record stuff so I ended up returning their hd box. I returned my hd box because I record stuff from my dvd recorder. I use HDMI strictly for my Panasonic Blu-ray player and upconverting Sony dvd player.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The cable co said "we supply the connection but we don't support HDMI" . Everyone seems to be taking this pretty well from what I've read but I'm not sure why. You pay extra for HDMI, it's on nearly every new TV you buy yet the two cable co's in my area don't support it. I would think people would be screaming about this but it seems everyone is saying, just use the componenet cables. I've got the cable co coming out tomorrow to give me the most current box they've got and I'll see if that makes a difference but I'm betting it won't. Do you know if the Blu-Ray that I'll be adding will cause problems?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should have no problems with using a Blu-ray player. The problem you're having with the digital cable box and HDMI has nothing to do with using a Blu-ray player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You would just connect the cable box YPbPr and the Blu-Ray player HDMI.
    Quote Quote