VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been looking for days and I am at a dead end. I need a SVHS and DVD recorder combo deck that is PAL compatible.
    I searched the forums and did not see this particular topic (apologies if it has been posted before). I am desparate and would like any advice if anyone knows what model and brand is available. I know there are a couple that have the SQPB, but that's just Qusai (sub VHS quality) playback. I want the full quality SVHS playback capability built in. I am looking for one that will let me playback SVHS videos in the VCR in SVHS full quality, and be able to record on the DVD end. Thanks in advance!

PS: I only found this JVC MV45US - but it is not PAL compatible! Anyone know the international model for this maybe?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't think you will be able to find a multisystem (international) DVD recorder / S-VHS combo unit.

As far as I know, none exist.

You will have to look into separate components.

The only multisystem S-VHS unit I am aware of is the JVC HR-S6970.

There are numerous multisystem DVD recorders available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That would not be wise. Combo units are not suggested -- though exemptions can be made for some high-end JVC pro gear. A multi-system S-VHS is rare and still not suggested. Pros don't ask for such things, only amateurs do (and is why you mostly only find multi-system consumer VHS decks). Find a good PAL S-VHS VCR, get a good DVD recorder, and you'll be set.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. You would get more targeted advice if you were a little more specific about why you need a multisystem unit. You need PAL capability for what, exactly? Do you need to make tapes for family overseas, or dvds, or both? Multisystem is not strictly necessary for that: the VCRs, DVD players and televisions in Europe/Scandinavia have long been capable of auto-converting NTSC tapes and discs to PAL (its a simple circuit modification included in most PAL televisions since about ten years ago). Unless your recipient has a really old TV, you probably don't have to send them anything in PAL, they should be able to watch NTSC.

The other way around is more complicated: playing PAL on an NTSC television is a big pain. Converting PAL tapes to NTSC is a pain. If thats what you need to do, it gets tricky, especially if what you want to play is full-res SVHS PAL tapes. AFAIK there were no multisystem SVHS decks marketed in the USA that are still available: you would need a PAL SVHS vcr and an outboard PAL>NTSC converter, but most "affordable" converters would visibly reduce the SVHS resolution, defeating the point. If you don't need to play PAL SVHS, but just want to play PAL dvds, you might get away with the JVC MV45US you mentioned. That unit is based on an older "genuine-JVC" design with a DVD section that automatically converts PAL dvds to NTSC output (this only works with non-region-coded discs, however, and the unit cannot be hacked to be region-free). The MV45US is a bit overpriced for what it offers, and they have a rather high return rate due to a rash of defective burners: if you decide to try one, be sure to buy from a place like NewEgg that allows returns in case there's a problem.

Otherwise you will have to settle for using 3 or 4 separates. If you want to record DVDs, get a DVD recorder. If you only need PAL for DVD playback, pick up a good region-free, auto-converting player like a Phillips and add it to your existing SVHS deck and/or DVD recorder. If you also need to play PAL SVHS, you'll need a PAL SVHS vcr and a converter box as mentioned. If you want to convert PAL SVHS tapes into NTSC dvds, you'll need to hook up PAL SVHS vcr to converter box to DVD recorder. (Don't be misled by the expression "multisystem" as its confusingly applied to DVD recorders: they do not convert internally like the old multisystem VCRs did, you would still need an outboard standards box. All a "multisystem" DVD recorder does is record whatever signal is fed to it in the original form, PAL or NTSC, or play whatever the original signal is: they don't convert PAL to NTSC or vice versa. I know, it seems crazy because they do make DVD players with conversion, but thats the recorder market for you.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your replies. They were helpful. It is not for me directly. It is for my father-in-law in europe. He has many many PAL SVHS tapes that he wants to be able to play on a PAL TV. Not really interested in the NTSC portion and don't need any NTSC capabilities really. I think he wants to be able to play and transfer them onto DVDs. Not really sure. It's just what he requested, and I couldn't find anything. With this info, is there still anything available? Thanks for all the help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That simplifies things considerably. There aren't any SVHS/DVD combo units available in PAL. If your father wants full SVHS PAL playback and the ability to dub them over to DVD, he needs two separate recorders. PAL SVHS decks are hard to come by new, you may need to check the eBay site for countries near your father and buy him a good second-hand vcr like the Panasonic NV-FS200. The DVD recorder he can buy new: which model depends on how much recording he does of broadcast television. If its a lot, he'll probably want a DVD recorder with internal hard drive and built-in DTV/"FreeView" tuners with program guide. If he mostly thinks he'll use the DVD recorder to transfer his SVHS tapes, he can get by with a less expensive DVD-only non-hard-drive recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much for your help orsetto. I was looking at the JVC HR-S6970. Only found it at one place in the entire world at $1000+. Do you know where to find/order the Panasonic NV-FS200? Or any SVHS recorder that is PAL compatible?
    Quote Quote  
  8. The Panasonic SVHS machines were reasonably popular in Europe and are the usual choice of European VH members, although there are some JVC fans as well (if they were lucky enough to buy one when they were available and not so expensive). Still, PAL svhs is quite a bit less common than PAL vhs, so you may have to stalk eBay for a few weeks to find one. Make sure you check eBay.uk or eBay.de, etc, to guarantee you're looking at PAL offerings: these will not be found on the USA/Canada eBay site. Also, eBay has a really awful search function that never finds anything if you input a specific model: instead of searching for "Panasonic NV-FS200" or "JVC HR-S6970", search for "Panasonic SVHS" or "JVC SVHS" or simply "SVHS vcr". Do this every day for a couple weeks on the eBay sites nearest your Dad, and something should turn up. Good luck!
    Quote Quote