VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a laptop or desktop and want to know is the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 a lot more powerful over the Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.20.

The laptop with the Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.20 has a fsb of 800 and the desktop with the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 has a fsb of 1333.

I like laptops as a desktop replacement but if the desktop is a lot better I'll get the desktop then.

Things I want to do with my new computer. Capture tv shows from HULU and Netflix that are not on DVD yet with "WM Capture." Do some encoding to XVID or MKV files with tv shows I capture over HD air. And video editing once I find the camcorder I want.

So why question is, is the jump from Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.20 vs. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 worth it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'd do better getting a E8400 if you're going to do video encoding. The e8400 will run cooler since it's a 45nm compared to the Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.20 cpu that is 65nm. E8400 has 2mb more of cache as well. IMHO it's always best to use a desktop pc to do video encoding. I have a e8400 that does well with video encoding but at the moment I have that pc apart. My Q9550 now does video encoding while the E8400 is sitting on the side waiting for another new computer case. If you wanna get into some serious video encoding then get a Intel Quad core cpu like the Q9400 or Q9550. Quads encode fast especially if you use a a program like DVD REBUILDER PRO.
    Just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^+1
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Laptops overall are not good solutions for encoding. Can be good for capturing through. And in your case, since you won't do any filtering, T7500 might be enough for those simply tasks you wish to do.

But, if you wish to do more, then build a desktop PC with a quad core CPU. A solution based on Phenom II955, with slightly overclocking could perform better Q9550 for encoding and cost you overall a bit less. Also,you could later upgrade to a faster CPU, a root you won't be able to do with the Q9550 (or any other "Q8/9xxx" CPUs).

Phenom II 955 overclocked is not that far from icore7, the best and top solution for encoding (and very - very expensive).
    Quote Quote  
  5. As a technician, I absolutely HATE the concept of laptop as desktop replacement.

If you need to have a portable computer, that's the reason for a laptop.

Otherwise, why would you pay More Money for Less Performance, Less Durability, Less Usability, Less Upgradeability, More Expensive and often Economically Unfeasable Repairs, Less Functionality, I could go on.

I hate laptops. I hate their teeny, tiny screws, their flimsy connectors, their all-in-one board designs, their large number of proprietary parts, their custom and expensive power supplies, their overheating problems, their limited production runs and generally poor designs.

I usually ask folks contemplating this if they have ever ridden a folding bicycle. Usually, a laptop is a severe compromise with different goals than they actually have in mind.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    As a technician, I absolutely HATE the concept of laptop as desktop replacement.

If you need to have a portable computer, that's the reason for a laptop.

Otherwise, why would you pay More Money for Less Performance, Less Durability, Less Usability, Less Upgradeability, More Expensive and often Economically Unfeasable Repairs, Less Functionality, I could go on.

I hate laptops. I hate their teeny, tiny screws, their flimsy connectors, their all-in-one board designs, their large number of proprietary parts, their custom and expensive power supplies, their overheating problems, their limited production runs and generally poor designs.

I usually ask folks contemplating this if they have ever ridden a folding bicycle. Usually, a laptop is a severe compromise with different goals than they actually have in mind.
    A few reasons I like laptops better then desk tops. Less space. When the computer is old I can just put it I just put it in the closet and keep it. With a desk top before I junk it I have to buy hard drive USB or firewire case. Laptops just make it easier to move on, for me at least.

Once in a blue moon I do like to take my laptop on the go and have full access to all my files and apps on the fly.

Also the electric bill is about 30 to 40 less a month.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reason to vote for laptop ... less possibility of user screwing around the insides and lower power consumption needs.

For the against laptops side ... desktop has more available options in upgradability although future models may require owning one's own power sub station just so you can turn it on and it blinks, lol
    Quote Quote