VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Thread
  1. mrswla & fritzi93: Again, Thank you for your assistance and expertise. You folks are amazing and patient. I have followed your advice, once again, installing the correct versions of ffshow and Matroska Splitter, and appear to to 99% ready to have another go at the rebuilding task. I also ran the "inspect.exe" routine and I am attaching a jpeg of the "inspect" result that indicates the "X264" (Don't know what that is) is also in the wrong version. May I inquire for a brief explanation and how to correct this issue? I'm in a steep learning curve here and greatly appreciate any support rendered. FYI: I have many external commitments today, so it will be a bit before I can return to the thread.

(In case some are puzzled at my ID, it is a combinaton of the pet names shared by my spouse and I)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inspect.jpg
Views:	1364
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1252
    Quote Quote  
  2. X264 is included in the BDRB download, it's the encoder used by BDRB.

I'm using the same version of BDRB, and X264 shows as okay. Maybe download BDRB again and run inspect.exe. From the changelog it appears v.3302 of BDRB has a new version of X264 (r1510). But again, it shows as okay for me.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 9th Apr 2010 at 08:28.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Fritzi93, I am running bdrb v3302 and just ran inspect.exe without and error on x264. Weird. What version are you running?

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	947
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1253

Dewprecious, trying reinstalling bdrb and see if that clears it up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nevermind Fritzi93, I see you edited your post to reflect the version you are using.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah, I double-checked and edited my erroneous post.

Very weird, dunno what else to suggest than to delete the BDRB folder, and download and set up BDRB again.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to start from the beginning, it took 12 hours just to encode the first part. It was working fine until i shut it down. Well i guess if have to start from the beginning since the previously jobs function does'nt work. I let you know if it works starting from the beginning.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hello, again, mswla & fritzi93; Seems something of a series mystery. LOL. But you folks are great. The suggestion to delete the BDRB folder and re-download and reinstall BDRB was the correct resolution to that issue. The inspect routine indicates all "OK", and BDRB validated the source and began the backup process. Now, here's the newest rub, if you would please confer upon this and kindly offer up some more suggestions: Sometime around the 60% completion time, while unattended, something caused my computer to reboot. I do not run any screensaver or "sleep-times" on the system. I signed back on, re-mounted the iso and resumed the backup project successfully. The BDRB Log showed the process completed 66 of 66 reencodes and was in pass 1 of 2 of encoding a (secondary) video 00010 when the project stopped before the reboot. The process was at the 89 percentile when I retired for the evening. Now I come back to the computer and it has rebooted again for some unknown reason. Remounted the iso and, again, resumed the backup, indicating it was starting the resume at 62% of Phase One, pass One of the secondary track (Track 02). I am inserting three jpegs. One during the Phase One Pass One process, which went 100%, one of Phase One Pass Two in progress, and one of Ph 1 P2 of 2 at 5% completion. The only thing I am noticing is this: In the P1P1 process the process speed is aroung 6x, while in the P1P2 process, the speed is reduced about 30 times to 0.24x. Is this normal? What do you think is causing the reboot issue? I hope this second "resume" will complete but the ETA is another 8-9 hours if I don't suffer another reboot. Time will tell and I will get back to the thread, either way.

Name:	Phase 1 Pass 2 of 2 in progress.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1263Click image for larger version

Name:	Phase 1-Pass 2 of 2.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1261Click image for larger version

Name:	Phase 1-Pass 1 of 2.jpg
Views:	1192
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1262
    Quote Quote  
  8. DANG! The jpegs aligned in reverse order as intended, but I'm sure you can easily recognize that. My Bad.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I would suspect bad RAM as the most likely cause for mystery reboots. You could run MemTest to see. First shut down, then remove and reseat your RAM.

With a dual-core processor, overheating is unlikely unless you're heavily overclocked or the BIOS settings for max temperatures are set unusually low. (As you know, re-encoding is very CPU intensive.)

Another thing to check is in System Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings -> System Failure. Is it set to automatically restart? Set it to write an event to the system log.

All I can think of at the moment. I doubt a bad file would cause rebooting, I've dealt with plenty and never had my computer do that as a result.

I bet others can think of a bunch more possibilities.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 10th Apr 2010 at 11:46.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Good call fritzi93. That is a common culprit for bad ram. Download memtest86 and burn the iso to a cd-r and boot to cd.
    Quote Quote  
  11. OK, folks. Thanks for hangin' with me. I will download the memtest routine and do the "boot to CD" thing tomorrow after resetting the RAM while computer is off and unplugged. Unexpected company has arrived at the house and I'll be entertaining tonight. I'll verify the system settings at that time also. I am not overclocking on purpose but I'll check the temp setting in BIOS while I'm at it. In the meantime. The second "resume" of the backup process did complete, according to BDRB. I closed BDRB, unmounted and deleted the iso created earlier (still have a copy on external 1TB drive if I need it again). The next wall into which I am slamming at full speed is that the AVCD Patcher gives a "This file is not correct format" error when I drag and drop the index.bdmv file into it from the BDMV folder created in the workfiles folder. I did set AVCD to 0100 as directed, and closed and restarted AVCD to try again, with the same result. ??????????? Hoo Boy! What could that be?

Name:	Job Finished.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1268

Name:	AVCD Patcher Error.jpg
Views:	1251
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1267
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm pretty sure that the setting in BDRB for "Strict AVCHD" does the same thing. At any rate, I don't use that setting or patch the index, with no ill effects. But both my set-top Blu-Ray players are Sony BDP-S360, which are not picky. What's the model of your player? I can probably tell you if your player is finicky.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm unconvinced that AVCHDPatcher should *always* be used.

1) The author of BDRB says: "For almost all players it is not needed. But apparently some Panasonic players need the structure to be more AVCHD and less BD compliant..."

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1252898#post1252898

It's not perfectly clear whether the reference is to AVCHDPatcher or more generally is referrring to strict AVCHD compliance. Strict AVCHD compliance in BDRB for movie-only, is Level 4.0, which should be all that one needs to do.

2) It's unclear whether for some full-disc re-encodes from Blu-Rays with complex BD-J menus, patching may make the disc unplayable. Also some Panasonic and Magnavox players may not like patched discs:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1236835#post1236835

Mind you, I dunno and haven't found a definitive answer. I just do what works on my own players.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 12th Apr 2010 at 11:41.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi folks; I finally made it back. OK. Reset the RAM and the memory test is good. Went in to BIOS (7.3.13), found the hardware monitoring section. Of course the CPU is not loaded while there, but I don't know what to expect anyway. CPU temp: 57C, MB Temp: 47C, ICH Temp: 64C, MCH Temp 70.7C. Can't find anywhere to set an alarm level or such. (Could it be a jumper on the MB?) Memory setting is 6-6-6-18, dual channel, Total MEM 8192MB. With reference to strict AVCD. I see that encoding option in BDRB, but it was not selected when the rebuild was completed. I tried to run the AVCD patch again, but the index still gets an error code that it is not correct format. I haven't tried to burn the completed rebuild to a DVD-9 yet. Have you, or MilOtis, come up with any other possible causes for the AVCD patch not to accept the file from the BDRB workfiles? I hope that I am being as clear as possible, as I am out of my element for sure. Should I try to rebuild the iso again for verification? I'll probably take the side off the computer, and put a 10" fan on the CPU, if it should reboot in the middle of the process again. Or should I just take what I have and burn it to see what happens. My desktop BR players are: Sony S-360, and Panasonic DMP BD-60.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I did a search of the bug report thread for AVCHD patch, and there are some reports of that error message. I'll see if I can find some links for you. When I searched, I was looking more to whether/when patching is necessary, so I wasn't paying much attention to the error. Are you trying to patch a full-disc encode or movie-only? If you're retaining menus, the disc is by definition not AVCHD compliant. Either your player recognizes it or it doesn't.

The BIOS on my mobo has a max cpu temperature setting, evidently yours doesn't have it. [shrugs] How's the ventilation in your case, and when was the last time you cleaned out the dust, etc? BTW, the longer you run MemTest the better, it can take quite a while to find a memory fault. If I were you, I'd disconnect and reseat all cables, including molex power plugs. Basic stuff first, you can waste a lot of time on wild-goose chases when you should have checked that first. Ask me how I know.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Nope, dunno what to make of it, all I see are a few reports of the error but no real explanation, other than a reference to trying to patch a full-disc (with menus) backup in the second link. But in the first link it's movie-only backup and there's an error in patching there as well. Pretty thin.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1381945#post1381945

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1265602#post1265602

[EDIT] @Dewprecious: Your Sony will play darn near anything, no worries there. Your Panasonic, however, will supposedly *not* play full disc backups, so I'd try doing it both ways and see, i.e. movie-only encode with strict AVCHD checked in BDRB settings, and another with that option unchecked, and using AVCHDPatcher. My bet is both will work.

Your players are in this list of BD standalone tests:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146339&highlight=standalone+results

The notes for Samsung players indicate they're touchy bastards.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 12th Apr 2010 at 18:51.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The guide is great and I have successfully backed up a handful of BR's. My question is each one is taking 12 hours or so. I am running an AMD Athlon X2 with 6 GB of RAM. Can anyone give me an idea if I go to an AMD Phenom X4 how much of a difference I will realize? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  18. It will cut the time down to about 1/4 what it was taking you. Look at my pc specs. It takes me on average 2-3 hrs.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  20. I wish to thank you folks, especially mrslsa, fritzi93 and milOtis for all your willingness to help, but I guess I'm giving up trying to get the methodology in the guide to encode a BR, movie only, to a DVD-5 or DVD-9 (tried both). Using the strict AVCD encoding in BDRB or not seems to make no difference. At least your help got me through a complete encode process. AVCD Patch (0100) will not accept the index.bdmv file I drag and drop that was created by BDRB during the encoding of the ripped iso from ANYDVD, no matter what I try. The failures were not noted in the system event log either. I even went back one version of AVCD Patcher in an attempt to reach a resolution. I burned the DVD-R, and DVD+RDL anyway, but could not play it, even in the Sony S360. However, the 1:1 BD-9 and the BD-9 to BD-5 are quite successful, so I I'm going to go away "whipped" and back up my small collection of purchased Blu-Rays in that manner. I'm happy that I can at least have a backup to keep my original in good condition. Maybe Version 3 will be the salvation of my predicament, as it has been said that it will be smoother and of different methodology.

Hope to be back often to join this and other threads in the future, now that I am a tenderfoot member. Keep up your great work!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Sorry about the typo, mrswla. Arthritis of the hand and brain, you know.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Please clarify, you made a full disc BD 9 backup and it worked? But movie-only does not?

If so, something else is happening that has nothing to do with strict compliance or AVCHDPatcher. Apart, that is, from AVCHDPatcher probably being correct that the re-encoded files are no good. And the hardware problem is unresolved, which may or may not have some connection with the buggered files. The one that *does* work may be a one-off, in other words.

Is your computer plugged into a proper surge suppressor?

I took another hard look at your screenshots and you're trying to backup The Bourne Identity. IIRC, some people have had trouble with that one. I'll look into it.

In the meantime, why don't you do some cleanup, defrag your drives, and try a different Blu-Ray? I'd hate to see you quit now.

Arthritis is hell, so is getting old. Believe it or not, this site has a lot of oldsters.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Yep, Bourne Identity is a Universal release that has a complex java menu and picture-in-picture (PiP). The latter is often the cause of problems in BDRB, spanning various versions. A good many people had trouble with that one. I won't bother posting any links, as they aren't very informative.

It's true that for every report of failure, other people have reported doing that disc successfully. I have no answer for that other than: BDRB is beta software, and everyone's computer is configured differently.

So try a different movie.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thank you, fritzi93, for your genuine interest and generous efforts on my behalf. I'm definitely not a chronic quitter, just shouldering gargantuan loads of life's burdens at this particular time. Ugh. Enough of that. Yes, the full disc 1:1 BD-9 process was flawless and satisfactory. And the "movie only" rebuild from BD-9 to BD-5 (25GB) also completed well. I just haven't been successful in the heavy rebuild from BD-9 to DVD-9 or DVD-5. Your much appreciated, by me, research on Bourne Identity may just be the proverbial hammer hitting the nail. My particular system may be one of those that has unseen conflicts preventing the desired outcome with respect to the particulars of this movie. Yes, I'll try another Blu-Ray for comparison. Good idea. You present a definite affinity and broad working knowledge for, and of, the intricacies of this forum. Sure glad you're around for folks like me.

Surge suppression? Yes. Starting with a not-so-excellent "whole-house" utility installed suppressor, parallel to the electric service entrance at the revenue metering equipment, through the medium level "whole-panel" suppressor installed at the service entrance to the Main Electrical distribution panel, to the high-end commercial "PanaMax" suppressor with digital indication of voltage parameters and two banks of linear filters with high current capabilites into which my large UPS is plugged (which also has some suppression capability, via induction air-gaps and tuned zero crossing counters). That UPS is the source of AC power for my computer and all peripherals. (Still won't stop a lightning strike, though.LOL!)

Drives fragmented? No. Maybe there is a self-inflicted problem in this area? Admittedly a little obsessive, but I regularly, in an attempt to maintain a "clean" system, run defrag when needed, along with CCleaner for the unneeded files and registry entries, McAfee AV weekly, Max Spyware Detector and Max Registry Cleaner after several hours on the internet or before setting a system restore point, Adaware, and Malware Bytes software. In addition, I religiously keep my Startup file pared down to a minimum number of applications to be allowed to run in the background. Could these habits be causing unwanted problems with the guide software?

True about arthritis and aging. Advanced in neck, back, knee and hands, but maintain a reasonably active country lifestyle, but I regress from the thread.

Thanks again, and I'll be back to the post soon.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Okay, I'm pretty sure your movie-only recodes were simply *not* getting remapped correctly. The main title of "The Bourne Identity" probably spans multiple smallish *m2ts files. (I don't have it to test, but I bet I'm right). Many newer movies are structured that way, but they remap correctly in the vast majority of cases. It's one way of making it harder to identify the main movie.

Have another go when you get the chance. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  26. If I'm right, all you have to do to get a movie-only re-encode to BD 5 is to extract the main movie first with ClownBD. ClownBD is very good at analyzing the structure and extracting the movie.

So if you're up for one more attempt at "The Bourne Identity":

1) Specify in ClownBD a demux folder and a remux folder. Open the rip and let ClownBD analyze the structure.
    2) Leave the video stream checked. Select the first *PGS stream in English (this is the main subtitle stream.) Select the first English audio stream. Deselect everything else. Make certain you set an audio output format, for BD5 I suggest AC3 at 448 kbps.
    3) Extract. Wait...
    4) Set the ClownBD output as "Source" in BDRB
    5) Encode
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  27. ok the BD rebuilder has expired. Anyone know where I can renew it?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Click on BDRB and get the current version.

BTW, inspect.exe has been integrated into BDRB.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Hello again, fritzi93. OK. Successful BD to DVD-9 rebuild with a different BD movie. WooHoo! Feel much better and vindication belongs to you! Now I am ready to have another go at the Bourne Identity, using your suggested alternate procedure. First, a couple of issues upon which I have suspect clarity of mind. When I downloaded the zip file for ClownDVD, my AV software issued notifications of a found and quarantined trojan "Artemis 5FD33D9F66E3". When I unzipped the "cleaned" file, four folders were placed in the destination ClownDVD folder: AFTEN, BDSup2Sub, Eac3to, and tsMuxeR. Which exe file am I supposed to execute to run ClownDVD for the operation you describe in your previous post on 14 April @ 09:05? It sounded like there should have been a "ClownDVD.exe" file to execute. (Maybe expunged by McAfee?) Secondly, when you say to open the rip in step 1), is that the iso ripped by ANYDVD? Sorry to seemingly play the role of a Dunce, but, in this particular learning situation, the role apparently fits. The rest of the procedure appears straight forward. Thank you much for your shared expertise and assistance. Looking forward to your reply, and any others who may join in. (mrswla, et al?)
    Quote Quote