VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi Fritzi, thanks so much for the response. Sorry it took me a while to get back.

I used MakeMKV and ended up with a huge folder. There were six files, special features, the movie with some features, the plain movie and a couple more special features and previews. This is MUCH more organized than the straight rip I did with AnyDvd. Everything was out of order and the movie was in pieces or something. I couldn't figure it out.

I tried to play it on my Seagate and the movie files stutter about 50% of the time. Just when you think it's stopped stuttering, it does it again. I looked it up at Seagate and some people have trouble playing off of certain drives so I copied the files over to the Freeagent Go drive that docks in the FAT+ (that's what we call it - Freeagent Theater Plus), which works really well! Problem is, now I have to organize my movies and get 'em all off of that drive so I have room for Blu Ray rips. It's a 500GB and having to use that particular drive isn't the end of the world. Strainge though, I don't recall it stuttering when I played the M2TS pieces in the straight rip.

I'd like to try to shrink the files but it sounds like a pain. I'll have to dig in, but first free up some space.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. If hard drive space is a concern, you could try this and see what you think:

1) Use BDRB to re-encode the AnyDVDHD rip, Full Disc Mode, to BD5 or BD9 (single-layer or dual-layer DVD size). Uncheck "Quicker Encode for Extras". (You need a dual core CPU at least to do this, or it will take a looong time.)

2) Create an ISO image of the resulting files with ImgBurn. Mount the image on a virtual drive such as DaemonTools or VirtualCloneDrive.

3) Run MakeMKV on the mounted image.

The MKVs will be a helluva lot smaller and you may find it hard to see the difference from the full-size files, depending on the size of your HDTV. MKVs made from a BD5 *may* be good enough for you; I'd bet MKVs made from BD9 surely will be. Try it both ways, BD5 and BD9.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes! I'm trying but getting this:

[09:38:22] BD Rebuilder v0.31.08 (beta)
    - Source: TERMINATOR_SALVATION
    - Input BD size: 39.93 GB
    - Approximate total content: [03:35:43.638]
    - Target BD size: 7.72 GB
    - Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
    - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
    [09:38:27] PHASE ONE, Encoding
    - [09:38:27] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
    - [09:38:28] Reencoding: VID_00001 (1 of 37)
    - [09:38:28] Collecting video information
    - Source Video: VC-1, 1920x1080
    - Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 558 frames
    - Bitrate: 938 Kbs
    - [09:38:28] Reencoding: VID_00001, Pass 1 of 2
    - Encode failed. Retrying.
    - Reached retry limit. Aborting.
    - FFDSHOW Revision: (3255)
    [09:38:31] - Failed video encode, aborted

Can you tell me how you set up ffdshow? I've tried everything I've read.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I suspect you haven't actually read this entire thread, or you would have seen the 70th post in this thread referring to software builds. Versions of ffdshow and Haali that have been tested and verified to work with BDRB are:

ffdshow v.3133_20091117 (Do *NOT* use an x64 build of ffdshow).
    Matroska splitter v.1.9.42.1 (A.K.A "Haali")

Uninstall old versions and reboot. Also any codec packs you may have on your computer! Reinstall from scratch, accepting defaults. When/if you get a specific error referring to incorrect settings, you can then perhaps adjust some settings.

The movie you're trying to do is encoded in VC-1, which can be cranky with some ffdshow builds. Other, later versions will work, no doubt, but some quite evidently will not, judging by how often the above solves the encode abort problem. I use the above versions.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks to fritzie93, I got it.

I reinstalled the ffdshow and Haali programs with the older version #'s in the post above, and that didn't work. Then I installed Windows Media Player 11 and confirmed VC-1 was set to "disable" in the "codec" part of the video decoder configuration in ffdshow. That did the trick.

Also, it was difficult to find the right Haali version because it's not listed like "v.1.9.42.1" in the "download old versions" link. I got it here: http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/MatroskaSplitter.exe

I'm currently in the middle this lengthy process, hoping that it turns out just right!
    Last edited by 26kick; 14th Feb 2010 at 16:13.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Good going Mark. It's odd that many people can use ffdshow for decoding VC-1 with no problems (me for one), but others must use the MS VC-1 decoder in WMP11.

Thanks for posting again in this thread, it may help others. I think you worried unnecessarily about hi-jacking the thread, but the problem got sorted out via PMs.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good BD9 will look. Since you want to keep DTS, re-encoding to BD5 really wasn't going to be good enough. Regards, Phil.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have updated the guide and verified the modified process with the latest Blu-Ray releases as of March 5, 2010.

MARCH 14, 2010 Changelog (Revision 2):

- All software updated with available releases on March 13, 2010 as of 11:59pm
    - All software screenshots updated
    - Minor Step/Instruction modification
    - Daemon Tools method replaced with Virtual CloneDrive
    - Table of Contents Added (click-able bookmarks)
    - Guide Writing Layout/Look Updated (more professional)
    - Minor spelling/grammar corrections
    - Guide process tested and verified on Windows OS (min versions): XP SP3, 2003 SP2, Vista SP1 (32-bit), Vista SP1 (64-bit), 7 (32-bit), 7 (64-bit)
    - Guide process tested and verified with latest Blu-Ray releases as of March 5, 2010
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Good going Mark. It's odd that many people can use ffdshow for decoding VC-1 with no problems (me for one), but others must use the MS VC-1 decoder in WMP11.

Thanks for posting again in this thread, it may help others. I think you worried unnecessarily about hi-jacking the thread, but the problem got sorted out via PMs.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good BD9 will look. Since you want to keep DTS, re-encoding to BD5 really wasn't going to be good enough. Regards, Phil.

I've been using this program since it was put out in beta, and I still can't believe how good BD9's look. Simply incredible, on my 56" screen you really almost can't tell a difference.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Good going Mark. It's odd that many people can use ffdshow for decoding VC-1 with no problems (me for one), but others must use the MS VC-1 decoder in WMP11.

I've been using this program since it was put out in beta, and I still can't believe how good BD9's look. Simply incredible, on my 56" screen you really almost can't tell a difference.
    Try a BD-5...you will be equally impressed. Many people don't even try BD-5's because they think in their head that there is no way that half the size of a BD-9 will look good, but you should try it. I cannot tell the difference on my Panasonic 50" Plasma, unless I am 2 feet away from the TV or less. I know you want DTS audio, but AC3 works fine for my purposes, and still 6-channel surround. - I am not an audophile though...as long as video is awesome quality, then sound could be telephone quality for all i care.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi milOtis

I just go through your guide it was an excellent job, I really appreciate your hard work regarding on this.
    I would like to ask that in same way can i make 1:1 copy of PS3(playstation3) game bd or not? waiting for
    your advice.

Regards
    kumar
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by senthkuma View Post
    Hi milOtis

I just go through your guide it was an excellent job, I really appreciate your hard work regarding on this.
    I would like to ask that in same way can i make 1:1 copy of PS3(playstation3) game bd or not? waiting for
    your advice.

Regards
    kumar
    #1 - lose the red font

#2 - this guide is not for copying PlayStation games; this is for backing up Blu-Ray video discs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey i know this is probably a dumb question but i guess im a little slow... i download all the software and bought anydvd hd and im a little upset... i used it to copy the iso from the movie ... knowing.... i got the iso and the mts file or whatever... i just need to know how to shrink the iso to 25 gb to copy... i hear that the dvd-r looks good but i already bought 25gb bd-r will it be better quality? i just want to keep the best quality to play in my ps3
    Quote Quote  
  13. @ dmanx911:

1) Okay, so maybe you're a bit overwhelmed. Read the guide again, it's quite good. You did read it, right? It's linked in the first post on this thread. Your question is too broad, and as a matter of fact, it basically sums up what the guide is about: "shrinking" a Blu-Ray disc to BD 5/9/25. Any restatement requires a *new* guide. If you have a more specific question, someone can perhaps amplify specific points in the guide for you.

2) Yes of course re-encoding to a smaller size has a negative effect on quality. Mind you, whether or not it will be noticeable depends on movie length, file destination size, the size of one's HDTV, etc. It's surprising how good an average length movie looks on single and particularly double-layer DVD (A.K.A. BD 5 and BD 9).

Welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok well I mounted the iso to bd rebuilder I'm letting it run through the night ... Last time it failed idk why... Next I will try on my laptop to burn since it has vista and then burn on my home pc becuase that's where the bluray burner is at ....hope it works ...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Did BDRB fail after stream extraction at the beginning of the first encode pass (Fail, Retry, Abort). (?) That's almost certainly due to a problem with ffdshow and/or Haali. Uninstall them and install the versions linked in the first post here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

I have a drive I can boot to that's just for testing things like this. It's as jdobbs (the author of BDRB) says, other versions can, and often do, cause unexpected problems.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well woke up and it failed of course.... current progress went all the way to 100 and the overall progress was at zero... heres the log

-----------------------
    [23:18:48] BD Rebuilder v0.32.08 (beta)
    - Source: KNOWING
    - Input BD size: 31.58 GB
    - Approximate total content: [02:01:29.282]
    - Target BD size: 22.66 GB
    - MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
    - Audio Settings: AC3=1 DTS=1 HD=0 Kbs=640
    [23:18:48] PHASE ONE, Encoding
    - [23:18:48] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
    - [03:08:29] Reencoding: VID_00001 (1 of 1)
    - [03:08:29] Collecting video information
    - Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
    - Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 174,768 frames
    - Bitrate: 24,108 Kbs
    - [03:08:29] Reencoding: VID_00001, Pass 1 of 2
    - Reached retry limit. Aborting.
    - FFDSHOW Revision: (3326)

im going to try to uninstall and reinstall the programs you said i guess...this is starting to get annoying..
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    are you using bd rebuilder? can you tell me what versions you have downloaded.... or send me a link to where exactly you downloaded yours at? i looked at the link you sent me it has 105 pages to look through.... do u know where the links to download are?

heres the versions i do have...

ffdshow_rev3326_20100319_clsid
    MatroskaSplitter19122009 or matroskasplitter110109 how do i see which one i installed?

going to work ... ill be back and working at it again.. FML!!
    Last edited by dmanx911; 24th Mar 2010 at 07:17. Reason: adding the versions
    Quote Quote  
  18. Again, read the *FIRST* post at the thread I linked above.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im in the process of doing it now.. this is a whole new world to me sorry... lol

8. Recommended for Windows XP only: Download and install WMV11 from Microsoft, and set VC-1 decoding to "disabled" in FFDSHOW (allowing the WMV11 codec to be used). This seems to be the codec with the fewest problem on VC-1. For Vista or Windows 7 -- select "wmv9"

how do i turn the vc1 decoding off it wont let me click it off in the settings...
    Last edited by dmanx911; 24th Mar 2010 at 07:16.
    Quote Quote  
  20. It's okay. Slow down a mite and read more carefully.

Look, you have a configuration problem. Download this:

http://www.jdobbs.net/freeware/inspect.exe

Put it in the BDRebuilder folder and run it. Post the report here. We'll get you fixed up shortly.

[EDIT] And don't forget to first uninstall ffdshow and Haali, reboot and install the versions linked on the first post of the BDRB bug report thread.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  21. VC-1 isn't the problem with BDRB failing on the movie "Knowing". That disc is encoded in AVC (H.264).

When you post the results of inspect.exe, I'll explain how to reconfigure ffdshow.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    - AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.7.0, Ok
    - HAALI Splitter: Ok
    - FFDSHOW: 3133, Ok
    - FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
    - FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
    - FFDSHOW AVC set to "ffmpeg-mt": Ok
    - BD Rebuilder v0.32.0.8, Ok
    - X264: Ok
    - AFTEN: Ok
    - WAVI: Ok
    - TSMUXER: Ok

im going to control panel to uninstall the programs and then reinstall them i guess...

after i reinstalled and didnt touch anything this is what came up

- FFDSHOW VC-1 set incorrectly: [0]
    - FFDSHOW MPEG2 set incorrectly: [0]
    - FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok

i guess now i have to re setup or whatever my ffdshow cause now it says my mpeg2 and vc-1 is incorrect and i cant remember how i made them say ok... i found this in the guide....

After the install, run "Video Decoder Configuration" for FFDSHOW from the "START/Programs" menu, and make sure MPEG2 decoding is enabled.

that made the mpeg2 say ok but it doesnt say anything about vc-1 so i tried putting it libavcodec but it said incorrect so i tried wmv9 and it says ok now.. so this is what i got so far after everything...

i hope this helps you help me...
    Last edited by dmanx911; 24th Mar 2010 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Looks like you installed the correct version of ffdshow, then re-installed.

Anyway, the settings in the first log are correct per jdobbs. To change ffdshow configuration, go to Start -> ffdshow -> ffdshow video decoder configuration. To change a decoder, you click on the decoder used, not the format.

So for VC-1, don't click on VC-1, but the decoder used, and a drop-down list will appear. Three possibilities: disabled, libavcodec and WMV9. Set it to WMV9. For MPEG2, set it to libavcodec. In others words, as they were before the last re-install.

Hit "Apply" and exit. Reboot. Run inspect.exe again just to be certain everything's okay.

Give it another try in BDRB.

Keep in mind that this is "beta" software and is a little touchy. We're in the early stages of Blu-Ray just now, and it reminds me of ~ 10 years ago with DVD. Also, just because you're set up correctly doesn't necessarily mean your problems are over. If you were ever so unwise as to install a codec pack, you may still have trouble. And for some people, it's necessary to use the VC-1 encoder in WMP11 and disable VC-1 in ffdshow. But give BDRB a try on "Knowing". Also, if you have a Blu-Ray disc encoded in VC-1, test that next.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well after all the uninstall and install i didnt really change much.. i dont want to waste a couple hours on my home pc anymore... it has xp on it... i use it for other stuff.. i will use my laptop now it has vista... ill let u know the outcome...

now with my vista laptop i set everything up and this is the inspect log

- Windows Version: 6.0 [6002]
    Last edited by dmanx911; 24th Mar 2010 at 12:41.
    Quote Quote  
  25. all u need 2 make bluyray backups r dvdfab 6 n passkey revmover
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab Platinum v6.2.1.8 Final is what i have... where do i get passkey remover? im trying this other one as we speak.. im going to post my results... i would like to make the blurays fit on my bd-r 25gb .... just so everyone know.. i went to step five because i needed the shrink...

well with the laptop it just went through the first step and now says its going to be about 6 hours until its done i guess... i hone thats not just pass 1 of 2 and itll will be all done by 930 10 on my time... ill let you know how it goes.... looking good so far... wish i would have tried this before bed last night...
    Quote Quote  
  27. DVDFab Passkey is what u want its free check tools on this site in dvd fab select the copy u want i use main movie copy 2 hard drive and then burn if u want u can selet disk to dissk writer is a pioneer bdr-s05xlb dvd fab use vso 2 burn aso if u have copy2dvd when u install dvdfab do select install vso BDMV is the folder that contains the bluray movie
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by dessieclive View Post
    DVDFab Passkey is what u want its free check tools on this site in dvd fab select the copy u want i use main movie copy 2 hard drive and then burn if u want u can selet disk to dissk writer is a pioneer bdr-s05xlb dvd fab use vso 2 burn aso if u have copy2dvd when u install dvdfab do select install vso BDMV is the folder that contains the bluray movie
    DVDFab costs $60, and in trial mode it will not convert a whole disc. Also, it does not make the disc as compatible as it can be; my guide does. Also - stop hijacking this thread guys, that goes for you dessieclive
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well idk maybe my computer is not fast enough.. but i can download the movie online... but what format does it come out? i downloaded an astro boy that is mkv and it said it was 1080p but it was only like 7 gb.... how do i burn this?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    dmanx911, if 'astro boy' is the 2009 copyrighted movie you downloaded, you would be in violation of our rules. Please read our rules before posting.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote