VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm a new forum member and quite a newbie to all things video. Also, although I'm not afraid of using the command line, I have little experience with unix beyond the basics, and none with ruby.

Early this morning I installed ffmpegX and am quite pleased to have successfully converted a VOB file to FLV. However, I have been spending the bulk of the day trying to resolve one problem with the metadata. I've learned a bunch from other posts on this forum but have not found the solution I need.

The resulting .flv file runs just fine within an swf player embedded in a web page. Unlike problems described in other posts in this forum, there was no problem with playback whatsoever. However, there is no progress bar -- there is a grey bar, but no black indicator showing how much has played; the elapsed and remaining time both continue to display 00:00 throughout playback; and there is no way to click or drag to a new time point; the only playback controls are start/stop/pause.

Some possibly relevant facts:

• Other .flv files provided to me by somebody else, converted from the same original DVD but on a different platform using different software, display a working progress bar properly, so the problem is not with the player or with the code I use to control it. It's the .flv file that is the problem.

• I installed flvtool2 (v. 1.0.6) exactly according to spec, and more than once. Interestingly, though, I've seen indication in other posts that there should have been some feedback after each command. However, I received none. After pressing return after each command, I just got a new command line prompt. (The sudo command did generate a request for password, though. And by the way, I am the only user of the computer and have administrator privileges.) There were neither error messages nor confirmation. So I could not be sure it was ever installed, though I've double and triple checked the procedure and can find nothing I neglected. The facts below suggest that it was not installed, but I don't know why. The download was successful, and I executed the commands from within that directory. (I placed the directory inside /Applications. Any problem with that?)

• One post by user Case, who has posted frequently on this topic, suggests that after successful installation, I should find flvtool2 in /usr/bin. I do not find it there, or anywhere, but can't discern why not. (And when I've tried to execute flvtool2 directly from the command line, as described on some other websites, I've gotten "Command not found.")

• Several other posts by Case describe how a script inside ffmpegX.app points to ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby, whereas ruby might actually be located at /usr/bin/ruby. This was exactly the situation on my system (OS 10.4.11, same as Case, I believe), so I modified the script file exactly as described. Unfortunately this did not change my result. I then re-executed the flvtool2 installation steps, and rebooted. Still no help.

• After converting my file, the very last line in the ffmpegX Process Information window reads:

/bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/ffmpegX.app//Contents/Resources/flvtool2: Permission denied

This is of course the script file containing the (now modified) path to ruby. (I didn't notice whether this happened before I modified the script file, but it is the result afterward.) What does this refer to? Permission to execute the script? Permission to execute ruby? Or what?

So! Can anybody help me? What am I doing wrong? Or is this some strange bug, and if so, is there a workaround? I have been pulling my hair out over this! I feel I've done a pretty good job of sleuthing today, for a beginner, but with nothing to show for it.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, thanks for your detailed description, as well as trying to solve this by using previous posts.

It does seem like everything is fine, except for flvtool2.

Originally Posted by Sharon M
    I placed the directory inside /Applications. Any problem with that?
    I don't know, but I never do that for installers, unless a ReadMe file tells me to.
    Try it once more, while keeping the "flvtool2-1.0.6" folder on the desktop. I'll try to be detailed:

Download FLVtool2 from http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/17497/flvtool2-1.0.6.tgz and decompress the package into a folder. Download a fresh copy to be safe.
    flvtool2-1.0.6.tgz should be 26,953 bytes
    flvtool2-1.0.6.tar should be 153,600 bytes
    flvtool2-1.0.6 (the folder) should be 109,783 bytes, and should have 26 items (including subfolders).

Open Terminal.app
    Type: cd [plus one space character] [drop the folder flvtool2-1.0.6 here] [press return key]
    You should see the prompt change from the 'home' working directory (~) to include the path to the new working directory:
    Code:
    Computer-name:~ username$ cd /Users/username/Desktop/flvtool2-1.0.6/ 
    Computer-name:~/Desktop/flvtool2-1.0.6 username$
    Type: ruby setup.rb config [press return key]
    This should give feedback in the Terminal like:
    Code:
    ---> bin
    <--- bin
    ---> lib
    ---> lib/flv
    <--- lib/flv
    ---> lib/flvtool2
    <--- lib/flvtool2
    <--- lib
    Type: ruby setup.rb setup [press return key]
    This should give feedback like:
    Code:
    ---> bin
    updating shebang: flvtool2
    <--- bin
    ---> lib
    ---> lib/flv
    <--- lib/flv
    ---> lib/flvtool2
    <--- lib/flvtool2
    <--- lib
    Type: sudo ruby setup.rb install [press return key]
    This will prompt you to enter your user account password.
    After that it should give feedback like:
    Code:
    rm -f InstalledFiles
    ---> bin
    mkdir -p /usr/bin
    install flvtool2 /usr/bin/
    <--- bin
    ---> lib
    mkdir -p /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
    install flv.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/
    install flvtool2.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/
    install mixml.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/
    install miyaml.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/
    ---> lib/flv
    mkdir -p /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv
    install amf_string_buffer.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv
    install audio_tag.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv
    install core_extensions.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv
    install meta_tag.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv
    install stream.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv
    install tag.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv
    install video_tag.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv
    <--- lib/flv
    ---> lib/flvtool2
    mkdir -p /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2
    install base.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2
    install version.rb /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2
    <--- lib/flvtool2
    <--- lib
    If you made typing errors, you should at least get an error like
    Code:
    No such file or directory
    or
    Code:
    Resource temporarily unavailable
    To avoid typing errors, you could use copy-and-paste for the commands.

Please tell us where your procedure differs/starts to differ.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, Case. Astounding! Success, combined with failure, combined with success. As described below in detail. (In addition to getting help with the last little failure, I hope all this detail will help somebody else down the road...)

I placed the directory inside /Applications. Any problem with that?
    I don't know, but I never do that for installers, unless a ReadMe file tells me to.
    Try it once more, while keeping the "flvtool2-1.0.6" folder on the desktop.
    Ah, I guess I wasn't clear on the concept that this was just an installer. I treated it the same as the other downloaded components (mencoder, mpeg2enc, mplayer), which I also put in /Applications (with no apparent problem). So then, once I have a successful install, I can completely discard the flvtool2-1.0.6 folder?

Okay, so first, I moved the existing flvtool2-1.0.6 to the trash, and then I followed your procedure. Here is the result:

flvtool2-1.0.6.tgz should be 26,953 bytes
    flvtool2-1.0.6.tar should be 153,600 bytes
    flvtool2-1.0.6 (the folder) should be 109,783 bytes, and should have 26 items (including subfolders).
    The .tgz opened directly to the folder without ever showing me a .tar, but the .tgz and the folder were just as you say.

Performed the install. This time, I did get feedback, just as you describe. The location of the folder must somehow have been the key. (What a dumb little thing!)

After the install, the folder now has 27 instead of 26 items, with the addition of a file called "InstalledFiles" (a text file listing flvtool2 placed in /usr/bin, plus 13 other files all placed in /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 and folders therein). This did not happen on my previous installs.

I looked at /usr/bin and indeed, flvtool2 is there.

I ran ffmpegX again. Since I had not reinstalled that, it still contains the modified script.

Now here's the failure. I encoded another video. Unfortunately, I still got the "Permission denied" message at the end, and the resulting .flv file still does not contain metadata.

However, here is some more success. I tried running flvtool2 manually, from the command line, as I saw described on another website:

Code:
    flvtool2 -UP filepath/filename.flv
    This generated tons of feedback (in a good way) and I noticed the last-modified time on the .flv file was updated. This new file plays properly, with all the metadata!!!

So, this just leaves me wondering why ffmpegX didn't invoke flvtool2 properly. I wonder if I'll have to always remember to run it manually? Restarting ffmpegX and even rebooting did not help. I can certainly live with this if necessary, so thanks a million, Case! But if you have thoughts on that last little issue, I'd love to hear them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So then, once I have a successful install, I can completely discard the flvtool2-1.0.6 folder?
    Yes.

Now here's the failure. I encoded another video. Unfortunately, I still got the "Permission denied" message at the end.
    Weird error, one that you're the first to report here, as far as I recall.

However, here is some more success. I tried running flvtool2 manually, from the command line. [...] This generated tons of feedback (in a good way) and I noticed the last-modified time on the .flv file was updated. This new file plays properly, with all the metadata.
    Proof that flvtool2 itself is properly installed and in working condition.

So, this just leaves me wondering why ffmpegX didn't invoke flvtool2 properly. [...] If you have thoughts on that last little issue, I'd love to hear them.
    1/ Re-check the content of the script file flvtool2 inside ffmpegX, to contain
    Code:
    #! /usr/bin/ruby
    require 'flvtool2'
    2/ Repair permissions with Disk Utility (should be part of regular maintenance). Try ffmpegX again.
    3/Check permissions on all files and folders involved. I'll try to get a list for comparison.
    I have no idea how the permission could have gotten extra restrictions without explicitly doing so. But no doubt such a file or folder can be found and fixed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I treated it the same as the other downloaded components (mencoder, mpeg2enc, mplayer), which I also put in /Applications (with no apparent problem).
    The ffmpegX components self-installer copies the three binaries, so you do not need to keep these downloaded files around after installation, certainly not in /Applications . It doesn't hurt, though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, the script file is correct. I think I already repaired permissions but now did it again for good measure, then ran ffmpegX again. Still permission denied.

Ah, okay, got it about the binaries. I think I'm finally clear on all this!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    P.S. I've discovered a situation where I actually don't want ffmpegX to insert metadata: when joining two .flv files into one. Seems not to work to convert two files to .flv, add the metadata, and join them, but works fine if I convert each file to .flv, then join them (I did the joining in MPEG Streamclip), and only then use flvtool2 to add the metadata.

So, this was easy enough, ironically because I still have the problem that ffmpegX doesn't invoke flvtool2 automatically. But if I manage to get that problem solved and get ffmpegX adding metadata at the end of each conversion, is there any way to turn that feature off, on a case-by-case basis? I suppose I could temporarily change the name of flvtool2 in order to force it to fail, but it would be nice if there was something more elegant!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    P.P.S. permissions on the flvtool2 script file are:

-rw-r--r--

And I notice that the permissions on the original version (I only modified a copy, changed the name of the original, and kept both) are:

-rwxr-xr-x

This must have happened when I modified the script, using TextEdit. What is the command to change permissions? (I'm sure I knew that once, a long time ago...) I feel sure this will fix the problem!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Code:
    chmod 755 <filename>
    Does that solve it?

explanation:
    r = 4
    w = 2
    x = 1

rwx = 4 + 2 + 1 = 7
    r-x = 4 + 0 + 1 = 5

-rwxr-xr-x = (owner) rwx, (group) r-x, (other) r-x = 7 5 5
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Whoops, I hadn't seen your latest post (wasn't notified, maybe I forgot to log in the previous time). But I had seen your earlier version, when it just said "chmod 755 filename", and I already knew the explanation. So, I just now finally had a chance to give it a try.

And YES, that solved it! Perfect! Thanks for all your help!

Sharon
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The board doesn't notify for edits.

And you're welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I just installed flvtool2 as described above letting the folder on the Desktop. Everything seemed to install ok.
    but when trying to use it, I also got the error message flvtool2: permisson denied.

I read above that there could be a permission issue and I need to change chmod somewhere.
    My question is : where ?

I don't understand what script to use. In my folder flvtool2, there are 26 files !!
    fl2tool2.exy, flv.rb, flvtool2.rb, etc....I opened a few ones but I am not a code wizard..

Could you please help ?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try running flvtool2 manually, from the command line:
    Code:
    flvtool2 -UP filepath/filename.flv
    This should help diagnose if flvtool2 itself is bad or if the issue is with how ffmpegX tries to call on flvtool2.
    If flvtool2 works from the command line, then you do not need the folder "flvtool2-1.0.6" anymore, and you may remove/delete this folder.

ffmpegX calls on flvtool2 by using a small Ruby script, which is (confusingly) called 'flvtool2' as well. You may find this script inside the ffmpegX application package: /Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/flvtool2 . This file should be executable: chmod 755.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer.
    When I run the command line flvtool2 -UP filepath/filename.flv
    I get the error message : flvtool2: permisson denied

Also I have ffmpegX in Application Folder but it looks like I only have the application, nothing like ffmpegX.app/contents
    Did I miss something during ffmpegX installation ?

Thanks again

Lydia
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lydiab
    When I run the command line flvtool2 -UP filepath/filename.flv
    I get the error message : flvtool2: permisson denied
    This shouldn't happen if it was installed it correctly. Please re-install flvtool2 and post the content of the Terminal window.

Originally Posted by lydiab
    Also I have ffmpegX in Application Folder but it looks like I only have the application, nothing like ffmpegX.app/contents
    Did I miss something during ffmpegX installation?
    No need to go into this, while the first part doesn't work yet.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I am having the same issue. I did all the things it says here but the metadata still isn't showing up. I get videos without a size and length.
    Please Help.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In manual conversion
    flvtool2 -UP filepath/filename.flv ....I used this command with wmv file. It never works with wmv files while with .flv file it gives proper feedback .

with .wmv file it gives feedback as

flvtool2 -UP /home/richie/public_html/video/115.wmv
    ERROR: IO is not a FLV stream. Wrong signature.
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv/stream.rb:393:in `read_header'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv/stream.rb:57:in `initialize'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:272:in `new'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:272:in `open_stream'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:238:in `process_files'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:225:in `each'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:225:in `process_files'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:44:in `execute!'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2.rb:168:in `execute!'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2.rb:228
    ERROR: /usr/bin/flvtool2:2:in `require'
    ERROR: /usr/bin/flvtool2:2

Does the above command 'flvtool2 -UP filepath/filename.flv' is applicable with only .flv files ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ninadgac View Post
    I used this command with wmv file. It never works with wmv files.
    ERROR: IO is not a FLV stream. Wrong signature.
    Does the above command 'flvtool2 -UP filepath/filename.flv' is applicable with only .flv files ?
    flvtool only works on FLV files. Other types of files are discarded.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Case,

Thanks for reply.

What should be problem in my case.

I have VPS 3 plan @ HostGator (CPU 1.13 GHZ, RAM 768 MB, Disk Space 30 GB, Bandwidth 500 GB)

Video less than 35-40 mins run successfully on my server but videos with big capacity and longer duration (greater than 45 min to 1 hr ) dont run successfully. As big video dont convert successfully.

As error log file I am getting following errors

Code:
    [libmp3lame @ 0xf385e0] lame: output buffer too small (buffer index: 9325, free bytes: 467)
    Audio encoding failed
    ERROR: failed to allocate memory
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv/tag.rb:51:in `read'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv/tag.rb:51:in `initialize'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv/stream.rb:449:in `new'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv/stream.rb:449:in `read_tags'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flv/stream.rb:58:in `initialize'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:272:in `new'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:272:in `open_stream'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:238:in `process_files'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:225:in `each'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:225:in `process_files'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2/base.rb:44:in `execute!'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2.rb:168:in `execute!'
    ERROR: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/flvtool2.rb:228
    ERROR: /usr/bin/flvtool2:2:in `require'
    ERROR: /usr/bin/flvtool2:2
    Skipping file /home/richie/public_html/flvideo/121x.flv
    I have reinstalled everything including FLVTool2 , Lame 3.97 to 3.99 , FFMPed, codecs etc... but no use. What should be error in this case according to you.

Another feedback from error log file

Code:
    Input #0, asf, from '/home/richie/public_html/video/121.wmv':
      Metadata:
        WMFSDKVersion   : 11.0.5721.5251
        WMFSDKNeeded    : 0.0.0.0000
        IsVBR           : 1
        VBR Peak        : 905
        Buffer Average  : 612
      Duration: 01:08:44.28, start: 3.000000, bitrate: 193 kb/s
        Stream #0.0(eng): Audio: wmav2, 44100 Hz, 1 channels, s16, 48 kb/s
        Stream #0.1(eng): Video: wmv3, yuv420p, 1440x900, 1102 kb/s, 1k tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc
    [buffer @ 0x19082d00] w:1440 h:900 pixfmt:yuv420p
    [scale @ 0x1908e460] w:1440 h:900 fmt:yuv420p -> w:120 h:90 fmt:yuvj420p flags:0xa0000004
    [wmv3 @ 0x19084d90] Extra data: 8 bits left, value: 0
    Output #0, image2, to '/home/richie/public_html/tmp/thumbs/121/%08d.jpg':
      Metadata:
        WMFSDKVersion   : 11.0.5721.5251
        WMFSDKNeeded    : 0.0.0.0000
        IsVBR           : 1
        VBR Peak        : 905
        Buffer Average  : 612
        encoder         : Lavf52.93.0
        Stream #0.0(eng): Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p, 120x90, q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 90k tbn, 1k tbc
    Stream mapping:
      Stream #0.1 -> #0.0
    Press [q] to stop encoding
    [buffer @ 0x19082d00] Buffering several frames is not supported. Please consume all available frames before adding a new one.
        Last message repeated 126 times
    frame=    2 fps=  0 q=6.2 Lsize=      -0kB time=0.01 bitrate= -17.6kbits/s dup=4922 drop=0
    video:5kB audio:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead -100.411600%
    Quote Quote