VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone!

I use Camtasia Studio 6 for screen recording. The recordings gets saved as .camrec files (no compression - large files).
    I want to compress those .camrec files (with sound) to .FLV files. The closest I've come is saving the recording as a .MP4 file from the Camtasia 6 application. The Recording1.MP4 file also has a Recording1_controller.swf file (as well as ProductionInfo.xml, a .JS and a .HTML file). I suppose only the .SWF and the .MP4 are the actual video. The .SWF file makes the video look better (playing it from the .HTML file). If I only play the .MP4 file directly (in say, VLC), the video is more "dizzy" and doesn't have as good colors as playing it from the .HTML file.

I want to convert the .camrec recording to a .FLV file having the "good" colors/quality - How do I do?

Perhaps it is better to go another way from the .camrec in the first place? Saving as something else and then convert it to FLV..?

Purchasing additional software is not a problem, just say which ones.

I'm quite lost and appreciate all help I can get.
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. In your example, the .mp4 is the actual video. There shouldn't be any color changes, it might be a setting on playback for VLC, or a browser setting when playing the .html. If anything, the browser/flash should be worse, low quality chroma upsampling error (reds aren't crisp and look blocky). Note, some recent versions of VLC have had major bugs. You might try testing it on KMplayer or SMplayer, for example.

The 6.0.2 update added flv export back, or you can use an external program to convert to flv like ffmpeg (winff or avanti are front-end GUI's)

flv is just a container, so it should have no effect on the quality or color. You can put the exact same video in a .mp4 container or .flv container, for example.

The best quality/compression will come from h.264/aac. There is no good reason to use .flv container, and even Adobe recommends .mp4 (or .f4v) for flash using this format, not flv (which is reserved for the older VP6 format)

If you can't figure it out, post a sample and the settings you used that you think demonstrates what "dizzy" or bad colors mean
    Quote Quote