VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I have finally gotten a cable modem and man is it fast!

However the room I am using it in needs three coax feeds - one to my cable dvr, one to the tv itself, and one to the cable modem.

I am currently using the two way splitter that they supplied - a 1ghz job. Now I do have an unpowered 1ghz 4 way splitter I am planning on using. I think I've got a powered 4 way somewhere but I don't know where that is at the moment.

I do remember reading in other threads that it was a good idea to use a 2ghz splitter for cable modems. Not that price is really an issue but how high do 2ghz splitters go and should I get a powered 2ghz splitter?

Thanks...
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you have one running to your cable dvr, why do you need one to the tv? So, you can watch "regular" cable without turning on the box?

Try the 4 way you have and run speedtest to see if there is any loss of speed, if there isn't you should be fine with what you already have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @MRSWLA - exactly. The cable dvr is only a 2 tuner model so it does occasionally tie up without an available tuner.

Ok I'll try what I have and see how it goes. Thanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just remember to keep the cables coming out of the splitter as short as possible. That will keep "loss" at a minimum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I switched it and my test speeds did go down. However it looks like my downloading is still ok.

Though I think I may go pick up a 2ghz splitter anyway for reassurance.
    Quote Quote