VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Well I did it - I finally signed up for cable internet. I got it working on my one computer. It is currently connected via lan directly to the pc.

My problem is when it connects to the netgear rangemax WPN824 wireless router the ip isn't assinged. The router shows the little internet icon lit up but I can't access it wirelessly (the net that is, I can log in to my router but it shows 0's for the ip address).

How do I get to my configuration page for the motoroal sb5120 router? This is on lease from Comcast fyi. I just picked it up this morning. I really want to get the wireless modem working with it so I can get back to gaming and using my pcs in their normal locations.

Thank you for your help. I guess I'm mainly asking for the default login ip address for the sb5120 surfboard modem.

I have tried some of them listed online but haven't gotten in yet. Could comcast have locked out the access? I'd hate to think I'd have to have a tech come in just to connect to a wireless router.

Edit - ok I finally got in but what do I do so it talks to the wireless router? I dont' see anything to change in any of the tabs...

edit2 - do I need to manually assing the dns info on the wireless router? I left that on automatic for my dsl. Is cable different?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may have to power-cycle the cable modem when you change what is connected to it. At that point you should have modem->router->PC (wired connection). It's always best to set-up a router with a wired connection first.

There's a pretty good write up on setting up a wireless router & cable modem in the Comcast forums - it's a sticky in the Home Networking forum (you have to log-in to see it, so posting a link wouldn't help ). I've found it quite clear & useful.

(I point you there, rather than describe it here because, well, I can't remember some of the specific settings Better you get it right form the source.)

Hope that helps,
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so I should do a full modem powerdown first then connect to the router? I do have it working just fine physically connected to the pc.

I"ll check out comcasts website again.

FYI I did try setting up a static ip on the router but no go. In fact the status tab on the network connection shows dhcp is enabled.

Oh so close yet so far away...

thanks for the tips

EDIT - THAT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU JIM44!!!!!

You saved me a tech call....

I've been trying for a couple of hours now. Maddening to have the thing work on a single pc but not get it talking to the router.

Oh man can't wait to try it out on a round of halo3 - maybe I'll score a few more kills with this speed! And speeking of speed they said this was a 6mbp plan - time to go see what it is in real life

WOOHOO!!!
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad it worked! IIRC, the modem logs the MAC address of the device it's connected to, so if you change that device (new PC, router, etc) you have to power cycle the modem.

Welcome to broadband!
    Quote Quote