VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything that was exactly about the following issue.

I want to rip TV series from original Video-DVDs. I want to have multiple audio lines in (original) AC3 and also the subtitles included in the file. I decided to use the x264 codec and MKV as a container. Now, my question is: How can I rip with the best possible picture quality while keeping the original displayed aspect ratio (usually 1.78:1) and resolution with just the actually needed file size?

I used AutoMKV and everything works good. Except I didn't find a way to keep maximum quality with a file size not more than needed. If I use the option Don't care about size for output size, the file ends up way bigger than needed. For example. it was a little over 3.5 GB for a 50 minute episode. That doesn't make sense as there are four of those episodes on a DVD-9.

You can also suggest another method of reaching this aim.
    ryanfever
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Filesize = Running time X Bitrate. You have to find a compromise between bitrate (and therefore filesize) and a level of quality that is acceptable to you. I don't use AutoMKV, so I cannot tell you which settings to change, but generally it will be an encoder setting that is changed from CQ or Quality based encoding to 2-pass encoding with a bitrate.

To determine what bitrate you want, use a bitrate calculator. Feed it the running time and the filesize you want achieve, as well as the audio bitrate (this will have to be a combined bitrate for all audio tracks)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If I analyse the bitrate of the source video and set this bitrate for the output video, isn't it CBR then? That would be bad.

Can you suggest another tool?
    ryanfever
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you do a 2-pass it will be variable with an average based on your chosen bitrate. Wanting to keep multiple audio tracks and subtitles limits your choice of apps.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for that.

Do you have an idea what all these profiles in AutoMKV mean?

ryanfever
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Exactly what their name says - different presets for different levels of quality or source. I suspect you have to choose one, then go to the Advanced Settings and/or Advanced Profiles Settings tabs to alter and adjust for your particular needs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote