VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As the title says... what do all these mean?

I'm seeing some files labeled as:
    x264-1920
    x264-ESiR
    x264-SEPTiC
    x264-CiNEFiLE
    and some others....

I don't get what all these mean and what the difference is... size? quality? format/codec compatibility?

Any help in understanding the differences would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

2. where are your seeing them? p2p listings?

3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like warez release groups. Buy or rent your movies instead...

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick, you are correct. But that only peaked my curiosity. I'm not trying to DL files for hourd over and over again just to end up with viruses instead of movies.

I'm setting up an Apache webserver to store my movies and other stuff so that not only can I access my data from home computers, but also when I'm away from home. I travel a lot and wanted to have my movies avalible when I'm on the road.

I'm gravitating to the mkv format becuase from what I understand they are streamable.

A fried of mine showed me thesr different x264 formate extensions and it got me wondering.

If people are ripping these formates for web share, is that because they are efficeintly sized for quality and portability???

If so, would one of these formats be good for my personal web server???

And again, If so, how do you go about converting to these differt x264 formates??

What would be best? Pros/Cons of each???

Maybe these formats are not relevant or viable.... But please forgive the newbie questions.

Thanks again!

5. they are not different formats of x264. they are the names of the groups who made the file.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you are seeing the extensions, just the torrent description as part of the file name. Money says that the actual extension will be .mkv (or a series of .rar files that haven't been extracted). SEPTIC is a warez group. The rest, I'm not familiar with.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahhh... I see... ok, so it has nothing to do with any x264 codec or the video quality.

Well then let me redirect my questions, though perhaps they do not belong in this thread.

Any suggestions for the best way to x264 encode (program AND settings) bluRay and DVD's into mkv files so that there is no perceivable loss of quality while maintaining the best possible size for portability??? (Yes, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too )

Thanks again for the help! Much appreciated!!

8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    NWNewell: I guess a new topic would be better. I'm locking this one.