VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some Xvid AVIs with three MP3 audio tracks. Windows Media Player 11 plays all of them simultaneously, can't select just one.

Zoom Player and Media Player Classic will play any one of the three.

Is this a problem with WMP or can I do something to the AVIs to fix them to play correctly in all three players?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WMP is, basically, stupid. It cannot differentiate between multiple audio tracks. It also doesn't read Aspect Ratio flags correctly, doesn't do subtitles, and is, like quicktime, a basic player for beginners to get them started.

If you want flexibility and reliability, try a better player. You have already tried two of them, You can also add to the list VLC and The KM Player. All are far better than Windows Media Player.

You may be able to get WMP to do what you want by installing appropriate splitters and codecs, but frankly I have never used WMP enough to care to find out how to make it work properly.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. WMP is pretty dumb that way. If you are using an external audio switcher you can select audio tracks with that. The switcher should show up in the Tray.

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've played many AVIs with TWO audio tracks just fine in WMP, with the ability to select which track.

Either WMP can't handle three audio tracks or there's something screwy with the way these AVIs are made. No player I've tried identifies the tracks by language, just as 1, 2 and 3.

Could be the person who made them forgot the language tags? Is there a way to add those without demuxing and remuxing the streams?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WMP can't handle more than one audio track in a video properly without help. Have you tried installing Haali Media Splitter?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's in the CCCP, right? I have the latest version of that installed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/ says:

known bugs of 3rd party stuff

* Windows Media Player replays all audio streams simultaneously. This is normal. WMP does not support AVI files, don't use it.
    Quote Quote