VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello! I use Fraps to record ingame footages when I play World of Warcraft (WoW). My monitors resolution is 1280x800 and my WoW video settings are also set to 1280x800. I record at 30 fps with Fraps.

I then open the big AVI output file of Fraps in VirtualDub and Video-->Compression-->Xvid Mpeg-4 Codec --> Configure and I set the slidebar thing to maximum quality and a bitrate of 3000kbps. I then click OK until all the dialog boxes are closed then I go to File --> Save as AVI (F7) I enter the filename then click save and I wait until it's finish compressing. I do this to decrease the file size of the video.

The problem is this, the images below are screenshots when I played each AVI on fullscreen on Media Player Classic
    Fraps AVI:http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/5425/fraps.jpg
    VirtualDub AVI: http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7060/virtualdub.jpg

As you can see, the movie "shrunk" after I compressed it with VirtualDub. What I want is the same resolution and good quality movie but with a file size that is not too big in comparison to the Fraps AVI
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't think this is it but check the pixel aspect ratio setting in Xvid before you encode. Make sure it's set to Square.

Also, open your Xvid encoded video in VirtualDub. Does VirtualDub show the black border?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pixel aspect ratio is set to Square and VirtualDub does not show the border of the Xvid encoded video. However, I've tried playing both files on different players, Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, Zoom Player and the black border shows up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What does mediainfo say about the fraps video and encoded video (view=>text)

Try a non directshow player (e.g. vlc, kmplayer), what happens ? If it looks ok, the problem is probably with your directshow filters/decoders (since the encoded video looked ok in vdub).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Joko\Desktop\1.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 12.8 MiB
    Duration : 23s 867ms
    Overall bit rate : 4 502 Kbps
    Writing library : VirtualDub build 30091/release

Video
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Streaming Video@L1
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Duration : 23s 866ms
    Bit rate : 2 951 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 800 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.600
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.096
    Stream size : 8.40 MiB (66%)
    Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Unsigned
    Codec ID : 1
    Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
    Duration : 23s 867ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Stream size : 4.37 MiB (34%)
    Interleave, duration : 34 ms (1.02 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms

The borders don't show when I play on VLC. I noticed the top and bottom borders are a bit lighter than the left and right ones when they do show up. How do I fix this?

Edit: I just converted to MP4, the borders show up. (top and bottom)
    Quote Quote  
  6. If VirtualDub shows no black bars in the xvid encoded file then they are being added during playback. Normally I'd suspect a setting in the media player but you are getting the same thing in several players. That would imply a system problem. Have you tried updating graphics drivers?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey where is the option that i set the bitrate to 3000kbps?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey when the video is done compressing i try to watch the new video that was compressed and it says " Classfactory cannot supply requested class."
    whats the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  9. From your screen caps it looks to me like you encoded the 1280x800 video in to a 4:3 frame. So the video was shrunk to about 1066x666 and placed into a 1066x800 frame with black borders added top and bottom. Then when you play that back the 1066x800 video is centered on your 1280x800 monitor and black bars are added to the sides.

Why didn't you just leave the frame size at 1280x800? If you want a smaller frame size you should just use a 10:16 aspect ratio frame size like your monitor. Like 640x400 or 960x600.
    Quote Quote